FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tired of people almost hitting me. Anyone installed a train horn in their car?

My VIN:    2848

Tired of people almost hitting me. Anyone installed a train horn in their car?

I have daytime running lights on my car and upgraded louder horns but people don't see or hear me and I'm constantly swerving to not get hit. I want to install some train horns on my car. Has anyone done it? Looking for advice before I begin.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quad-4-Air-...RYRMfP&vxp=mtr
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

My VIN:    First 700

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    install some train horns on my car
    The way people are today they would feel obligated to run into you after you honk.

I saw a post some time ago where the person had a 4 horn setup installed like this in the area behind the grill. You'll have to measure if you can fit that compressor in the bumper opening. The black grill piece is popped in with little springs attached to the bumper and metal screwed in bulb looking things on the grill. It will just pull off. There are 2 indented dips on the side of the grill that I guess are there to mark where you should hold it while pulling it.

Drive a motorcycle a while and you will get used to everyone out there trying to crush you. Only good thing with a bike is that you can get away from them faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Flicky View Post
    The way people are today they would feel obligated to run into you after you honk.

I saw a post some time ago where the person had a 4 horn setup installed like this in the area behind the grill. You'll have to measure if you can fit that compressor in the bumper opening. The black grill piece is popped in with little springs attached to the bumper and metal screwed in bulb looking things on the grill. It will just pull off. There are 2 indented dips on the side of the grill that I guess are there to mark where you should hold it while pulling it.

Drive a motorcycle a while and you will get used to everyone out there trying to crush you. Only good thing with a bike is that you can get away from them faster.
    I was thinking of putting the compressor in the trunk.
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

My VIN:    03500

I had a idiot almost wreck right in front of me!!!
    Watching the mirrors not the road.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    I had a idiot almost wreck right in front of me!!!
    Watching the mirrors not the road.

Dave B.
    Yeah I have had enough. Yesterday a Semi Truck ran me into the shoulder and then less than 3 minutes later a woman nearly creamed me in a roundabout.

I think Train Horns are the answer. Does anyone have them installed?
    -Alex

My VIN:    Between VINs

The motorcycle analogy is very good. I drive the DMC a lot like a ride a motorcycle. I learned that the first time I drove it and realized that any thought that you can predict other drivers behavior goes out the window when you're driving a stainless steel car. I'll even say that driving the DMC long distances is more mentally draining than driving any other car I've owned just because of the heightened state of alert that you have to stay in.

To draw another motorcycle analogy, adding a train horn to your car to be more visible is akin to 'loud pipes save lives.' They don't, and a train horn won't. You'll get to draw even more (unwanted) attention to yourself after the fact, though, so there's that.

My VIN:    Early

I'm thinking of doing the same.

Install compressor where the spare tire sits, and install the three horns between the radiator fans and the crumple extension.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Oh this is gold!

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    The motorcycle analogy is very good. I drive the DMC a lot like a ride a motorcycle. I learned that the first time I drove it and realized that any thought that you can predict other drivers behavior goes out the window when you're driving a stainless steel car. I'll even say that driving the DMC long distances is more mentally draining than driving any other car I've owned just because of the heightened state of alert that you have to stay in.

To draw another motorcycle analogy, adding a train horn to your car to be more visible is akin to 'loud pipes save lives.' They don't, and a train horn won't. You'll get to draw even more (unwanted) attention to yourself after the fact, though, so there's that.
    So "Loud pipes don't save lives" So by that logic we should remove our horns entirely? I don't understand that logic at all.

Driving like a motorcycle is fine and I'm sure most of us already do that but when a 25,000 pound semi is coming over on you there is only one solution, THE LOUDEST FUCKIN HORN ON EARTH!

When someone is about to kill me I could care less if I've drawn more attention to me after the fact.
    -Alex

My VIN:    6125

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast