FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Matched Set (Non-Stock Sized Rears or Fronts) Tires

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Just checked a different setup today, prices include mount & balance: 235 Cooper Cobras in the rear for $130 ea, 195 CS3's or CS4's in the front for $90 or $95 ea (respectively.)

I've seen that combination mentioned a few times; do most guys seem satisfied with that? Should I go with CS3 or CS4 in the front?

Thanks!
    Save $10 and get the CS3 in the front - unless you're tracking the car, you're not really going to notice any difference anyway. Plus IMHO, the CS3 sidewall better matches the Cobra's sidewall.

BTW - You can get that combo from TreadDepot shipped for $343.60 - saves you nearly $100. I've purchased from them before - great seller.

http://www.treaddepot.com/
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 06-03-2014 at 04:29 PM.

My VIN:    891, 1045

Rich I'm running CS4's all around and they're great tires. I went with them because of availability. I would think that if you like the CS3's you won't be able to get them the next time around because they're (probably) being replaced by the CS4's.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
    Rich I'm running CS4's all around and they're great tires. I went with them because of availability. I would think that if you like the CS3's you won't be able to get them the next time around because they're (probably) being replaced by the CS4's.
    You'd think that, as it's a linear and logical progression, right? But, in reality, Cooper just recently discontinued production of the CS4 in favor of the CS5, while still producing the CS3. If you look on their website, the CS4 is no longer listed, but both the CS3 and CS5 are prominently listed.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Passenger.aspx

"Goodbye CS4, Hello CS5"

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...re-review.html

The CS5 is offered in both an Ultra Touring and Grand Touring model, however start in 15" sizes, with a 225 width and 60 profile only being available in the Ultra Touring model. The CS3 is marketed as their standard Touring model, but only offers a front in sizes that will work on our wheels (195/60R14). Thus, with the discontinuation of the CS4, you can no longer get a matching set of tires from Cooper. The closest you'd get is by running the CS3 Touring in the front (stock size) and the CS5 Ultra Touring in the rear (225), but if you're doing that, you may just as well run the Cobra in the stock size on the rear.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Passe...a-Touring.aspx

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Passe...d-Touring.aspx

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Passe...3-Touring.aspx

Sucks that we lost another option in terms of matching sets...
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 06-03-2014 at 05:57 PM.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
    Thanks James, I considered the CS4's, but the Cobras are already on the way and I wanted the 235's in the rear anyway. When I'm at DCS I'm going get a good look at what 225's look like in the rear so maybe next time I'll consider those. The guy I ordered from said the CS4'sare being phased out....wasn't sure how to make sense of that one, but that's the word I heard.

Banned

Thanks James, I considered the CS4's, but the Cobras are already on the way and I wanted the 235's in the rear anyway. When I'm at DCS I'm going get a good look at what 225's look like in the rear so maybe next time I'll consider those. The guy I ordered from said the CS4'sare being phased out....wasn't sure how to make sense of that one, but that's the word I heard.
    That's correct - CS4 is longer being manufactured, thus only inventory on hand remains. The CS5 took over. See above for more.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Save $10 and get the CS3 in the front - unless you're tracking the car, you're not really going to notice any difference anyway. Plus IMHO, the CS3 sidewall better matches the Cobra's sidewall.
    Letters in, right?

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    BTW - You can get that combo from TreadDepot shipped for $343.60 - saves you nearly $100. I've purchased from them before - great seller.

http://www.treaddepot.com/
    NOW ya tell me...lol! J/K, I really didn't want to buy them one place then bring them to another anyway.

Banned

Letters in, right?
    I would, but that's your decision to make. If you do letters out, you could always use tire paint to create some letters on the front. Dave Graham is a big fan of RWL on our cars and did something like that on his car. I personally like both styles. What looks like ass is when you have just the fronts or rears in RWL, IMHO.

My VIN:    891, 1045

No worries. I'm just untrusting of tires that only have a temperature rating of B or lower. I made two 450+ mile round trips inside FL in the last month in my D and I don't want to worry about my tires when I'm on the road for 3 1/2 hours straight at highway speeds when the outside temp is in the 90's and the pavement temp is running upwards of 150. It's something to consider in the south and if you plan to drive your car during hot summer months.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

My VIN:    6585

From my experience, I prefer tires with a B Temperature Rating. I've found that they've actually offered better traction on my DeLorean in the rain because they heat up so much quicker. Especially on cold winter mornings. Unless you're someone that doesn't properly inflate tires and keep after their conditions, a B rating is fine. "C" is average, so anything above is better. The heat resistance is for resisting blowouts and tread separation. Which is really just caused by either overloading a tire, improper inflation, or improper construction. You have no control over manufacturing, and you want to ensure that you don't put car tires on a truck. So really that just leaves maintaining tires.

I drove on Cooper Cobras with B temp ratings for years in Vegas in triple-digit heat, and many other cars with tires of the same rating. It'll be fine.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    16409

Falken Tires

I just had some Falken ZiEx 912's put on my DeLorean. They replaced a matching set of Cooper Cobras I had put on the car about three or four years ago. All I can say is WOW! The Falken tires put the Cooper tires to shame in terms of ride quality. I get much less road noise and vibration with the Falken tires. I picked them up through Discount Tire Direct for less than $300 shipped. By the way I'm running the 225 series in the back, and haven't really noticed any negatives with the change in size.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast