FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Casey Putsch video with Shannon's car

My VIN:    3937

Casey Putsch video with Shannon's car

Saw this entertaining video the other day. He's using Shannon's car and I was curious if Shannon might see this and tell us more about those side sunvisors he has? Where he got them, how we made them? I've often wanted something like that for when the sun comes in low from the side.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Saw this entertaining video the other day. He's using Shannon's car and I was curious if Shannon might see this and tell us more about those side sunvisors he has? Where he got them, how we made them? I've often wanted something like that for when the sun comes in low from the side.

Interesting thank you. Why no vertical stitching on the doors?

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I had posted about these just after making them but it must have been on the dmctalk ".com" site as I can't find the post here on the .org site. I did find the original pics so I will re-write here. Also, these original pics were taken before tinting the windows. I still use the side visors from time to time even with the tinted windows.

My work commute is mainly North and South highway driving and each way the sun is low and shooting thru the passenger door so I made these side sun visors out of Plexiglas so I can still see thru them when down.

I made a template out of cardboard to get the shape and angles, then made a wood template of the angles for the bends needed. Covered the wood with tinfoil and used a paint stripping heat gun to bend the colored plexiglas sitting on the tinfoil.

The angled mounting bracket is just aluminum bar stock from hardware store that was bent in a table vice.

The key to it working properly are the torque hinges. They have tension so they stay where you put them (up, down and anywhere in between). Those I found online from a supplier in Cleveland. Forget the name of the company now. Problem was is that they only sold them in quantities of 1,000 or more! Just wrote a nice email explaining that I would like to purchase just 4 hinges to test a prototype I was building and the person replied, "oh if it is for prototyping we can just give you 4 hinges"! Boom! Awesome!

The hinges were so strong I thought I could get away with just one hinge per visor. That is why you can see two holes in the center of the driver side shade. I tested it a few days and it would slowly move down when going over railroad tracks and larger bumps. So final install used 2 hinges per visor.

DMC_SunVisor-1-HR.jpgDMC_SunVisor-2-HR.jpgDMC_SunVisor-3-HR.jpgDMC_SunVisor-4-HR.jpgDMC_SunVisor-7-HR.jpgDMC_SunVisor-8-HR.jpgDMC_SunVisor-10-HR.jpg

Side Note: on the "great oil pressure" that Casey mentioned. I've replaced the oil pressure sending unit at least 3 times. The last time it died I just left it alone and the default position is stuck straight up, so when he glanced at the gauge it looked good! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Interesting thank you. Why no vertical stitching on the doors?
    Stitching is there. It must be the video. It looks washed out on the door at times.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Johnathan thanks for posting the video.

Enjoyed watching and listening to his narration. I got a kick out of the open door to give someone the bird !

227K + miles and still running an original plastic overflow tank. Not all of them fail I Guess.

Kudos to Shannon also.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I remember seeing those side window sun visors at DCS 2014! I was parked next to your car on the last day before leaving, and wanted to ask about them. A bystander told me it belonged to someone in the Ohio club, but no name or anything. I think they’re brilliant, and it’s great to see more detail of them now.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    3937

Right on, Shannon. Thanks for the explanation. Interesting how that shape came to be. Out of necessity a little too. My head sits up partially into that recess of the door liner so keeping that side visor out of the way would be key for me. I might try and see about some kind of pull-down/retract back up little curtain maybe. I don't have any kind of consistent drive into the sun like you've had, so not super important. I like your solution though.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by JETS 81 DMC View Post

227K + miles and still running an original plastic overflow tank. Not all of them fail I Guess.

Kudos to Shannon also.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    I think they’re brilliant, and it’s great to see more detail of them now.
    Right on, Shannon. Thanks for the explanation. Interesting how that shape came to be. Out of necessity a little too. My head sits up partially into that recess of the door liner so keeping that side visor out of the way would be key for me. I might try and see about some kind of pull-down/retract back up little curtain maybe. I don't have any kind of consistent drive into the sun like you've had, so not super important. I like your solution though.
    Thank you all. And welcome.
    Yes, and now that my seat bottoms are fixed, I too need to use the headliner recess for my head. No more sitting on the floor of the tub. :-)
    For the record: I ran about 8,000 miles with a Hervey Stainless Overflow Tank. Took it off because the cap never kept pressure. Always hissing and leaking. I tried to grind down the surface but was unsuccessful on making it seal properly. Now I just keep it in the trunk as a "just in case" the plastic ever fails.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Shannon's car was the first Delorean I ever rode in - I believe. Toss up between his and Rick Michaels' car. Damn, it was a long time ago.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry