FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A Modern, Backlit, All-Electronic Cluster

My VIN:    Early

A Modern, Backlit, All-Electronic Cluster

Well, it looks like I need to start this now...

I received my Dakota Digital 6 gauge kit today, and it is the perfect size for our cluster. I will be redesigning a few things in photoshop for the the one-piece, plexiglass face. The designs can applied using thin lexan, which is basically the same stuff used for the AC fascia decal.

Here's a few pictures of the the cluster I bought. It came with a speed sender, tempurature sender, and even an oil pressure sender.

BTW, the tape is for the calibration of the needles.

Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

I'm made a paper printout of an original style design. I temporarily tested it on the gauge to check the sweep pattern and hole cutouts.

Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Cluster design done.

My VIN:    07000

Neat! You'll have to share more like what you ordered, install process, cost, etc. can't wait to see it lit up!

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Neat! You'll have to share more like what you ordered, install process, cost, etc. can't wait to see it lit up!
    I ordered a gauge kit from Dakota Digital. Here you can find the specific model I purchased.

For the construction, I'm using a piece of plexiglass that I bought from Ace. I just brought my cluster with me to find the best thickness.

First thing I did was disassemble the unit as shown in the first post. The disassembly was made easier since the needles stop if they are rotated clockwise. The needles just simply popped off, and I was on my way to the design process. Scanning from my copier was a breeze since the speedometer and tachometer gauges use the same sweep pattern. This also applies to the other gauges, which have their own mini sweep. Once that was completed, I used "Bebas Neue," which is a font very similar to the original. Each tick is simply a dash from that font resized.

Next, I will attempt to print onto a piece of lexan that I bought from here.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 07-23-2016 at 12:43 AM.

Update

I'm scrapping the lexan plan, and am waiting to here back from a professional for printing. Otherwise, I now have completed the final design. Resolution is 4630 × 1260.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 07-25-2016 at 01:30 PM.

My VIN:    10644

Why have the speedometer go so high? Presumably, 100% of the time you'll only ever use 50% of the gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    Why have the speedometer go so high? Presumably, 100% of the time you'll only ever use 50% of the gauge.
    With that same way of thinking, why would DMCH sell a 140 MPH speedometer? Also, why would modern car makers design speedometers that even go 200+?

My VIN:    10644

The 140MPH speedo was a factory part for the euro spec cars, so I suppose DMCH sells them for those owners or anyone else that wants to switch their car to what it would have been without the NHTSA law that forced a top reading of 85MPH. Outrageous top speeds on speedometers are a selling point to American consumers according to this article.

Because you're building this for yourself and not to trick consumers, and because I assume that you could calibrate the gauge to whatever readings you wanted to print, I was curious how you chose 160MPH. No criticism intended.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    The 140MPH speedo was a factory part for the euro spec cars, so I suppose DMCH sells them for those owners or anyone else that wants to switch their car to what it would have been without the NHTSA law that forced a top reading of 85MPH. Outrageous top speeds on speedometers are a selling point to American consumers according to this article.

Because you're building this for yourself and not to trick consumers, and because I assume that you could calibrate the gauge to whatever readings you wanted to print, I was curious how you chose 160MPH. No criticism intended.
    It's all fine.

Anyways, I'd rather have idiots come up to my car and say it's "fast" because it has a 160 MPH speedo. That is one reason why I chose to use this specific speedometer... Otherwise, it's just for looks.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast