FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Saggy Plate Syndrome

My VIN:    10201

You could just get some clear acrylic or polycarbonate

I'm calling shenanigans on this one.

While it should be patently obvious:

In the past half century no manufacturer has used ordinary household window glass in any automobile application.

Federal law specifies glazing requirements for automobile glass (49 CFR 571.205).

Nowhere in DMC's parts manual is any sort of license plate glass even listed. Houston does not offer license plate glass, NOS or reproduction.

Even pickup truck caps use safety glass (or lexan) for crying out loud -- not ordinary plate glass.

The idea of DMC sticking panes of ordinary household glass on their cars is just plain silly.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    The idea of DMC sticking panes of ordinary household glass on their cars is just plain silly.

Bill Robertson
    You never know!

After all, they drilled pressure relief holes in early cars and secured the radiator duct with door shim plates...
    Last edited by 81dmc; 07-02-2016 at 05:26 PM. Reason: I'm sure this is optional, right?
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    There is also supposed to be a piece of 1/8" glass covering the license plate. Ordinary window glass is all it is.
    Nowhere has this ever been mentioned in any factory documentation or in the concours manual.

I don't believe this to be accurate.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I think you've been smoking some strong stuff Dave. Plate glass? No.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    they drilled pressure relief holes in early cars
    Are you referring to the air extraction holes near the rear speakers? Eventually I'd like to get this system working properly. It was a good idea executed poorly.

With all new inner seals I've noticed that the doors are much easier to close if the opposite window is open. If cabin air extraction was functional this wouldn't be a problem. You'd also have improved airflow on outside vent settings.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Are you referring to the air extraction holes near the rear speakers? Eventually I'd like to get this system working properly. It was a good idea executed poorly.

With all new inner seals I've noticed that the doors are much easier to close if the opposite window is open. If cabin air extraction was functional this wouldn't be a problem. You'd also have improved airflow on outside vent settings.
    Yes.

Maybe it could be fixed using a one-way valve?
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Yes.

Maybe it could be fixed using a one-way valve?
    There are some universal valves available. I've thought about installing a pair to help with the doors but it's far down the list of future projects.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Well took some advice and inspiration from Bill R and Bitsyncmaster. Unscrewed the lower screw and found just enough plastic from the broken retention bracket to be able to wedge the plate into place. Then took the shiny side of some black duct tape, taped that to the sticky side of another piece of tape, then taped over each of the screw holes on the plate. A bit janky, but seems to do the job OK.

One photo posting upside down for some reason and can't figure out how to right it.

IMG_2754.jpg IMG_2755.jpg IMG_2756.jpg fullsizeoutput_6477.jpg

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

If it makes you feel any better, I use duct tape back there too, eric!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast