FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Replacement Coil and Spark Plug Wire Questions

My VIN:    10075

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    There have been more than a few instances on this forum where an owner used a non-Bosch coil and later reported early failure. It would seem if you stay with the Bosch coil it is more reliable. There doesn't seem to be any good reason to use anything else. Getting a "hotter", higher voltage coil doesn't show any measurable improvement but it does seem to decrease the reliability. For any owner looking for cheap, "bolt on" HP, there is no magic bullet. You certainly won't find it in an ignition coil. BTW, increasing the spark gap to get a "hotter" spark will increase the stress on the rest of the secondary ignition system. The cap, rotor and wires were not made for that and you can expect them to break down quickly. As for the need for a "hotter" spark, all it is for is to ignite the A/F mixture. Anything more is unnecessary. While it IS true you need a hotter spark at higher combustion pressures (like when the motor is under load during acceleration or going up a hill) the stock parts are more than enough as long as they are in good condition.
    If you're referring to Bitsyncmaster here, please note that he has modified more of his ignition components to better utilize a higher voltage coil. Otherwise, in my case, I'm talking about going from the stock 12k volt Bosch coil to an 18k volt Bosch coil in an attempt to gain a bit of longevity from the coil and overcome any possible resistances in the ignition components that may have come with age / new/different spark plugs. I might be mistaken here though.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I am almost positive I posted this a few times before, but I'll be another one to say [back when I was running a coil] I tried going from OEM to some higher voltage aftermarket coil. This was over a decade ago... My engine ran horribly and was even worse in the rain. After many frustrations not knowing what the problem was and realizing the last thing I did prior to all my troubles was changing the coil, wires, etc.; I changed the coil back to the OEM and the engine ran fine from the moment I turned the key to start with the original coil reinstalled. I kept the 8MM wires and fancy +4 spark plugs installed but got rid of the coil.

I should have learned my lesson years earlier to this event when I installed a 40,000V coil in my Mustang and ended up melting distributor caps and rotors. There is no reason for this upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    There have been more than a few instances on this forum where an owner used a non-Bosch coil and later reported early failure. It would seem if you stay with the Bosch coil it is more reliable. There doesn't seem to be any good reason to use anything else. Getting a "hotter", higher voltage coil doesn't show any measurable improvement but it does seem to decrease the reliability. For any owner looking for cheap, "bolt on" HP, there is no magic bullet. You certainly won't find it in an ignition coil. BTW, increasing the spark gap to get a "hotter" spark will increase the stress on the rest of the secondary ignition system. The cap, rotor and wires were not made for that and you can expect them to break down quickly. As for the need for a "hotter" spark, all it is for is to ignite the A/F mixture. Anything more is unnecessary. While it IS true you need a hotter spark at higher combustion pressures (like when the motor is under load during acceleration or going up a hill) the stock parts are more than enough as long as they are in good condition.
    -----Dan B.

Do you know the part number or where to get an OEM replacement Bosch coil? I don't see it in any crossover list, and all of the auto parts stores nearby sell off-brand replacements. I know delorean.com has NOS ones, but I understand this one is still made by Bosch so why not get a new one?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by bluscreen View Post
    Do you know the part number or where to get an OEM replacement Bosch coil? I don't see it in any crossover list, and all of the auto parts stores nearby sell off-brand replacements. I know delorean.com has NOS ones, but I understand this one is still made by Bosch so why not get a new one?
    My blue Bosch coil (I assume this was OEM) has a number "engraved" on the bottom of the coil.

0 221 122 001
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    My blue Bosch coil (I assume this was OEM) has a number "engraved" on the bottom of the coil.

0 221 122 001
    Thank you! I'll check it out.

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by bluscreen View Post
    DCUK stock new OEM Bosch coils http://www.deloreanclub.uk/bosch-ignition-coil.html

I'm sure there would be stockist within the US though if you didn't want to pay for shipping from the UK, that said the exchange rate is in your favour at the moment.
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    DCUK stock new OEM Bosch coils http://www.deloreanclub.uk/bosch-ignition-coil.html

I'm sure there would be stockist within the US though if you didn't want to pay for shipping from the UK, that said the exchange rate is in your favour at the moment.

Thanks for this info! I already purchased one from AutohausAZ, but I'll check out DCUK!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3