FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: More Popular, Manual or Auto?

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The DeLorean World Tour Team Drives Automatic DeLoreans

http://www.deloreanworldtour.com

Over 44,000 trouble-free miles (over 70,000 KM) with the automatics.

Speaking of Hills and Mountains ... I loved reading about this option:

Himalaya Switch

http://www.deloreanworldtour.com/cms...=en&Itemid=107

Unfortunately, significant landslides in 2015 took out the roads to be used to traverse much of the Himalayan Mountains,
    so an alternate destination was selected to replace the Himalayas. The DWT Team still traversed many mountains on tour.

Note: As of 2017, the DWT Team has driven the automatic DeLoreans in 39 countries (and still counting).
    Last edited by Rich W; 06-13-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: added country count note

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post

http://www.deloreanworldtour.com

Over 44,000 trouble-free miles (over 70,000 KM) with the automatics.

Speaking of Hills and Mountains ... I loved reading about this option:

Himalaya Switch

http://www.deloreanworldtour.com/cms...=en&Itemid=107

Unfortunately, significant landslides in 2015 took out the roads to be used to traverse much of the Himalayan Mountains,
    so an alternate destination was selected to replace the Himalayas. The DWT Team still traversed many mountains on tour.

Note: As of 2017, the DWT Team has driven the automatic DeLoreans in 39 countries (and still counting).
    It's worth noting that the reason that they did this was because they felt that the potential failures of an automatic transmission were easier to fix on the road than those of a manual. When we met up with them, Wolfgang said that he felt that there were more shops that could service automatic transmissions, and that the wear/breakable parts were more common and sourcable than there are shops that can service and source the parts for the manual transmission.

They also did a lot to protect those transmissions, including adding dedicated transmission coolers, and almost doubling the amount of transmission fluid being circulated.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Are you trying to figure out which to buy? Test drive one of each and see what suits you. Should be an easy decision at that point.

Autos are popular with people who like autos. Manuals are popular with people who like manuals. That's that sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    They also did a lot to protect those transmissions, including adding dedicated transmission coolers, and almost doubling the amount of transmission fluid being circulated.
    Good choice. In my opinion the stock cooler is ok but it's "just good enough" and makes a crowded space even more crowded. I plan to install a remote cooler with fan at some future date.

I do a lot of driving in stop-and-go traffic, besides which I never learned how to drive stick and I have terrible knees. I bought an auto. Yes, you're going to get worse fuel economy on the interstate because at 70+ MPH you're doing close to 3,000 RPM, but does anyone buy a DeLorean because of the fuel economy?

FWIW (not much) my auto was shifting poorly in 2010, and since I installed Jeff Angwin's computer at that time it has been perfect. Going back through the previous owner's receipts, I see that the car was already on its third computer by then. Since I bought the car in 2007, I think the computer that failed on mine must have been NOS. As such, I can make no comments on the new "digital" computer from Houston & affiliates but I imagine it's a great deal better than any unit manufactured in 1981.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post

Autos are popular with people who like autos. Manuals are popular with people who like manuals. That's that sorted.
    Thats really what it comes down to.

Also as an auto owner, our cars are even rarer than the manuals
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

If you're selling an auto the pitch reads:
    "This car has the much rarer auto transmission found in only a handful of these already hard to find cars"

If you are selling your manual:

"Equipped with the much more desirable and faster 5 speed"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If you're selling an auto the pitch reads:
    "This car has the much rarer auto transmission found in only a handful of these already hard to find cars"

If you are selling your manual:

"Equipped with the much more desirable and faster 5 speed"
    Thems fightin' words....lol

But really its all about personal preference...I didnt buy the car for speed...hehe. If I had the money and could find a suitable replacement, I wouldnt mind getting a more modern auto with more gears. hehe
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Today's DCT transmissions are up to 10 speeds. I rented a Chrysler 200 over the xmas holidays and was thoroughly impressed with the All around performance and Smoothness of the 9 speed transmission. It was my first time driving a vehicle with that type of tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Even my 99 Mustang's tranny was better..would be around 2500 rpm at 70mph. Sadly I dont even pretend to know what it would take to put some other transmission in...all I know is that it's not just a bolt in the new one thing..hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The mechanical part of the Renault automatic transmission is pretty reliable. It is the shift computer that kills the tranny so fixing the shift computer = longer transmission life and that's easy to do. For the most part the biggest complaint is leaks. Messy but it will still work.
    The manual is a LOT peppier to drive and you determine when to shift so you can drive it sporty or you can drive it conservatively. The biggest thing is the clutch and they aren't all that expensive and even the roll pins are cheap, it is the labor to do it. The choice comes down to how you intend to use the car and what type of driving you enjoy. If you live where there is a lot of traffic the choice is easier, the auto wins. The manual is not all that much performance by today's standards and the auto is even less.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Even my 99 Mustang's tranny was better..would be around 2500 rpm at 70mph. Sadly I dont even pretend to know what it would take to put some other transmission in...all I know is that it's not just a bolt in the new one thing..hehe.
    More than you can imagine. First and foremost before ANYTHING else, you have to find an automatic transaxle setup that operates in the rear engine configuration.

People say stupid things like: "drop a powerglide in it" or "stick a hydramatic transmission in it, you'll be fine!" People have even bought these cars assuming they'll be able to just swap a Small Block Chevy/Muncie M22 drivetrain in and be set. Ridiculous.

I only know of one car that ever successfully swapped automatic transmissions. My understanding is that it was a Porsche Tiptronic unit, but that it still had to be shifted manually (just with no clutch). I could be wrong, but this was what I had previously heard.

Supposedly the Renault 4141 3 speed was succeeded by the Renault AR4 4 speed but I've never heard anyone trying to change transmissions. I dont really know anything about the AR4 other than that it exists.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast