PDA

View Full Version : General Thinking of selling 6298 as a project car...

Bill6298
06-22-2014, 01:17 AM
The rules say I can’t post in the “for sale” section because I don’t have a price. Wasn’t sure where to put this.

I hate to even write this post but I think it’s time I consider selling my car to someone that can take care of it properly. It’s been stored in a garage (not running) for several years and despite my efforts, I am in over my head. This winter I was motivated again, worked really hard, but I don't see an end in sight. I’m paying $85 a month to garage it, keeping up on insurance, and registration. FWIW, it’s not feasible to part it out and it’s just not something I want to do.

What is the starting price for “project” cars these days?

I realize I need to get pictures up but I was hoping someone could tell me the minimum/starting price something like this is going for if you expect the worst.

Specs -

- 1981 Automatic - black dyed interior
- Flat hood
- ~70K miles on odometer - the engine has 5K miles since a rebuild
- Clean title and garaged since late 2001
- SS body panels are in excellent shape; wide dealer strip
- No rust on the frame - always been registered in FL or TX
- Dash is cracked but was dyed
- Driver’s seat cover was replaced and original passenger seat is in good shape - dyed as well.
- Carpet is in good shape.
- Headliner has no problems.
- Tires are not good and need to be replaced.
- Fuel tank has been drained and cleaned; lines flushed
- Fuel distributor needs rebuilding; injectors look bad
- Fuel system is essentially disassembled

I have numerous new parts (not installed) including the combo fuel pump, complete SS fuel lines, accumulator, fuel filter, (4) disc brakes and pads, new angle drive, new struts for doors. There’s probably more but I haven’t taken inventory yet.

When the car was garaged, this is what was wrong:

- Engine ran. Had an issue starting it in the mornings if parked outside and there was condensation. I would wait and the car would start.
- Needed new brake pads and rotors
- Speedometer was not working
- The oil pressure sending unit is leaking
- Driver's side window works but makes a noise when you hold the button down after the window is closed.

This is from the ad when I bought the car just to give some account of the history as I know it. There's more history on DML.

* Automatic antenna hidden in air vent
* All lights work, including the one in engine compartment.
* Exterior looks excellent
* Original stereo
* Harada remote starter
* New transmission
* New spark plugs and wires
* New fuel system: fuel pump, hoses, etc
* New catalytic converter
* New radiator, hoses etc
* New door struts
* New rear speakers
* New A/C compressor
* New dryer
* A/C converted to new freon R134a
* Brake fluid converted to silicon

rddmc
06-22-2014, 11:43 PM
For a car as stated and with the uninstalled parts you mentioned, I would think that it should sell for $8000 to $10,000. If I were looking for an automatic project car I would be willing to pay that if,and only if, the frame is rust free.

I am not an authority on DeLorean values or anything else DeLorean for that matter, I will be interested in what others may think.

Rod