PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Running a wire from fuse box to trunk, options?

robvanderveer
06-26-2014, 08:04 AM
hi, i need to run a wire from the relay/fuse compartment to the trunk close to the bonnet release. i'm thinking the easiest route is lift the middle console, over the tunnel past the radio, via pedal box through the big hole where the speedometer cable goes and outwards past the fuel filler panel.

If you have a better solution let me know please!

DMCMW Dave
06-26-2014, 09:05 AM
Use the hole where the trunk release already goes. Wiring thru the speedo cable hole causes leaks and looks pretty crude.

robvanderveer
06-26-2014, 09:34 AM
That sounds so logical i think i'm gonna cry of shame...

David T
06-26-2014, 09:41 AM
That sounds so logical i think i'm gonna cry of shame...

While you are doing that, run a back-up cable to the latch. Be sure to protect the wire with a proper size fuse near the power source.

robvanderveer
06-26-2014, 10:03 AM
Top tip Dave, i was planning on that already. The fuse holder is on order (slides in with the relays) and the backup wire has been there for 10 years, and then we have the original cable as well. Just need to find the best ground point. To top that, i order a special wire color with tracer white/red if i recall correctly), new crimp connectors and a relay socket.

Pictures will follow when i'm done.

SS Spoiler
06-26-2014, 12:23 PM
When I replace my frame back in 1988 I ran three wires along the frame from front to back just in case I might need it. So far the've not been used.

robvanderveer
06-26-2014, 12:26 PM
When I replace my frame back in 1988 I ran three wires along the frame from front to back just in case I might need it. So far the've not been used.

+1 for thinking ahead.

Tillsy
06-26-2014, 06:15 PM

Good work - next year's hover conversion system will need two of those!