PDA

View Full Version : Electrical One step forward And electrical fire!

djdogbone
06-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Today I was troubleshooting the horn and the AC. The horn was a simple fuse, the AC was low freon due to a leaky high side shrader valve...but I also noticed that there was a 15 amp fuse where a 10 should be...on number 16.

Being the guy that I am, I pulled it and dropped a 10. Within minutes my fuse/relay area was full of smoke.

I pulled the lead to the battery and went to work. The wire is burned all the way to the red pontoon connector in the engine bay. I had noticed that the fuse area was already slightly melted when I did the fuse swap. I think that resistance was the cause of the problem because I see that fuse 16 is reverse lights only?

How the heck do you get in there? It looks like several of the pins to the red main engine bay connector are loose. I want to replace the burned wire and the red connector at the pontoon.

How tough is that and how to I access that area of the car?

Do I have to pull the back panel inside the car? How so I do that?

DMCMW Dave
06-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Do I have to pull the back panel inside the car? How so I do that?

Take out the 4 screws holding the cargo net hooks in place. The top of the board will now tilt forward and you lift the board out. Everything is accessible there but not exactly easily.

It's possible that the reverse light circuit is shorted out on your header bottle. We've seen a couple where someone trapped the light wiring harness under the bottle when converting from the plastic one, and eventually the wiring melted. For this to be the problem you would have had to have the car in reverse with the key on, and it should have blown either size fuse.

djdogbone
06-29-2014, 11:15 PM
This car has a metal bottle but why tap do you need to tap the light wire if you convert from plastic.

DMCMW Dave
06-29-2014, 11:18 PM
This car has a metal bottle but why tap do you need to tap the light wire if you convert from plastic.

What do you mean by tap? I don't understand your question. (Spelling checker???)

I've seen where the wiring harness that runs near the bottle gets caught under the bottle. The metals bottles are slightly larger and have more of a sharp edge. If the metal melts the wire harness, it is conductive and will short out the wiring.

Dangermouse
06-29-2014, 11:26 PM
* trap

djdogbone
06-29-2014, 11:57 PM
Oh my mistake. I was replying to your statent about tapping into the wife...I didn't understand that you meant "by mistake" when installing the metal water bottle.

Looks like I have some work to do to clean up this miss.

* edit: tapping into the wire when installing the water bottle. Geez, I hate auto correct.

NightFlyer
06-30-2014, 12:00 AM
I was replying to your statent about tapping into the wife....

I certainly hope that no member is tapping into a another member's wife - we don't need that kind of drama around here :biggrin:

djdogbone
06-30-2014, 12:21 AM
Edit-correct. See above. No wives have been tapped in the making of this thread... Just auto correct issues lol. It's been a trying day.

djdogbone
06-30-2014, 12:23 AM
And Dave, thank you for always being there for us. I guess you know where I'll be buying what I need. Also, I have some screws that can be sent back if you need them

NightFlyer
06-30-2014, 12:45 AM
Edit-correct. See above. No wives have been tapped in the making of this thread... Just auto correct issues lol. It's been a trying day.

That's when you really need a good laugh :wink:

robvanderveer
06-30-2014, 03:35 AM
i'm having much fun reading this thread ( oh why do people insist on using autocorrect!)

djdogbone
06-30-2014, 02:17 PM
I was using my iPad from inside the garage. It autocorrects on it's own.

Jonathan
06-30-2014, 02:26 PM
I certainly hope that no member is tapping into a another member's wife - we don't need that kind of drama around here :biggrin:

No problems there... all the screws available here are self-tapping.

http://store.delorean.com/p-10114-screw-selftapping-n8.aspx

djdogbone
06-30-2014, 10:21 PM
That sound very uncomfortable

NightFlyer
06-30-2014, 10:49 PM
No problems there... all the screws available here are self-tapping.

http://store.delorean.com/p-10114-screw-selftapping-n8.aspx

Oh - snap :biggrin:

NightFlyer
06-30-2014, 10:50 PM
That sound very uncomfortable

From a male's perspective - most definitely :biggrin: