PDA

View Full Version : General People whom the D community cannot survive without

D Knight
07-04-2014, 05:52 PM
It has occurred to me that if a select few were to retire from what they do now for us as a whole, the community would be in a world of hurt. Dave Swingle, and Chris Nicholson just to name a couple. Think of all they've done. So to them I raise my glass, here's to you two!

Addendum-this message was completely rave free! Lol

-D Knight-

jawn101
07-04-2014, 05:53 PM
There are definitely SO many of these people. Dave and Chris for certain. Josh at DPI, Martin at DCUK, Clint... :)

We owe a lot of thanks to all of them. Great post.

acaciolo
07-04-2014, 05:55 PM
I can't imagine trying to update my Delorean without Rob Grady's wisdom.

SS Spoiler
07-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Don't forget Bitsyncmaster, our resident electrical genius......

Jonathan
07-04-2014, 06:52 PM
+1 on each of the technical names you listed here.

...and a whole pile of names you'll never hear in the community because only you know them. You might be married to them, a parent of them, or they are your parent. Not to mention some very understanding friends, roommates or neighbors that help you along the way. Maybe not with technical advice, but that other type of support that comes in very handy.

And a few people out there are super lucky if those two types of people are one in the same for them. :)

SS Spoiler
07-04-2014, 07:00 PM
" Sir Henrik " our ac compressor go to guy.....

valdez
07-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Me.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, you won't know what you aren't missing.
And don't forget about MrD158949327.

NightFlyer
07-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Addendum-this message was completely rave free! Lol

I personally highly doubt that - you, rave free, on a holiday?!?! COME ON :nana2:

Dave Swingle, Dave McKeen, Bill Robertson, Stephen Wynne, Josh Bengston, Tomcio, Rob Grady, Don Steger, Toby Peterson, Bob Zilla, Walter Coe, Tony Swann, Chris Nicholson, Ed Uding, etc.

Hokie
07-04-2014, 08:55 PM
People like Darren Decker, who graciously drove over an hour to help me evaluate my D before I bought it. Without the help of knowledgeable owners like Darren what would we do?

NightFlyer
07-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Photo of D Knight from earlier today - I rest my case :biggrin:

http://www.kmag.co.uk/assets/images/latestfeatures/201005/RaverMaskGlowSticks430.jpg

Rich_NYS
07-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Good thread!

I don't recall the exact quote, but at DCS the QAC guys said something about how 30 years ago their dream ended with the company and how much they appreciate all of us keeping the cars alive.

I thought that was really nice.....

valdez
07-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Photo of D Knight from earlier today - I rest my case :biggrin:

http://www.kmag.co.uk/assets/images/latestfeatures/201005/RaverMaskGlowSticks430.jpg

Seriously? Raves still exist? Take me off the "awesome forum people" list as I am clearly behind the times and now my usefulness is in doubt. One could say I am expendable as I have yet to give good advice.
He better be on shrooms or something otherwise it is just weird.
You can also take MrD15789222345 off the list as well. Why you may ask? Because. That is why.

Iznodmad
07-04-2014, 10:01 PM
That's really nice of you to say Mark/Hokie. I enjoy helping others out in any way I can, it is "paying it forward" in the Delorean community. I love evaluating cars, holding tech sessions, working on the cars, cleaning them, and especially driving them. It hasn't gotten old after twenty years of researching and learning about DeLoreans. I even helped one of the Bricklin guys at DCS this year evaluate a Delorean he was interested in purchasing at the show (the deal didn't go through though).

Dangermouse
07-04-2014, 10:23 PM
I'll nominate Tamir.

NightFlyer
07-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Good thread!

I don't recall the exact quote, but at DCS the QAC guys said something about how 30 years ago their dream ended with the company and how much they appreciate all of us keeping the cars alive.

I thought that was really nice.....

Definitely - without the owners/enthusiasts, the dream would die.

So here's to each and every one of us - including the DeLorean raver himself, Mr, D Knight :aniclap:

David T
07-04-2014, 10:34 PM
I'll nominate Tamir.

The sad truth is no one is indispensable. What we can do is to take the knowledge that is collectively out there and preserve it in forums such as this and hopefully new experts will step up to take the places of those who can no longer help. It isn't a big problem yet to Deloreans but it is happening. Every year we loose people, not as bad as other, older cars but it will happen to us too. Mentoring and passing on the wisdom is part of what we have to do now. We don't own the cars so much as it is a stewardship to pass along to others. As for venders, we have seen them come and go, merge and split. If things go as in other car Marques we can expect fewer and fewer venders as time passes and parts to get harder and harder to get and more expensive. If it wasn't for the Internet things would already be much harder!

jawn101
07-05-2014, 01:14 AM
The sad truth is no one is indispensable. What we can do is to take the knowledge that is collectively out there and preserve it in forums such as this and hopefully new experts will step up to take the places of those who can no longer help. It isn't a big problem yet to Deloreans but it is happening. Every year we loose people, not as bad as other, older cars but it will happen to us too. Mentoring and passing on the wisdom is part of what we have to do now. We don't own the cars so much as it is a stewardship to pass along to others. As for venders, we have seen them come and go, merge and split. If things go as in other car Marques we can expect fewer and fewer venders as time passes and parts to get harder and harder to get and more expensive. If it wasn't for the Internet things would already be much harder!

That's kind of a bleak outlook and sort of a downer for a thread whose intention was to highlight and express appreciation for those who have taken up that mantle and helped us all keep the marque alive.

Yes, I also nominate Tamir and the DMCTalk mods. They make it possible for this community to exist and their many hours of unpaid labor have helped each one of us in countless ways.

jackb
07-05-2014, 02:01 AM

That's kind of a bleak outlook and sort of a downer for a thread whose intention was to highlight and express appreciation for those who have taken up that mantle and helped us all keep the marque alive.

Yes, I also nominate Tamir and the DMCTalk mods. They make it possible for this community to exist and their many hours of unpaid labor have helped each one of us in countless ways.
Maybe it's because of my job (military), but I am inclined to agree with David T- Everybody is replaceable.
Of course, there are a lot of people who make a world of difference, and things would be noticeably different without them, but no offense, it is unlikely to be a show-stopper. A few recent things each back the "no one is irreplaceable" position- clocks, binnacles, LCA's...

Absolutely, I would certainly prefer a world with more vendors and individuals offering their services than fewer, but I would like to think that if one leaves us, someone else could step up and fill the void. And people aside, even no-longer available items are still available* (*provided one is willing to spend the money necessary).

I'm certainly not trying to crap on anybody or their work, it is 110% very appreciated! I have parts from every vendor and several individuals on my car.

That being said, if the purpose of this thread to show appreciation for them, they have it from me! A standing ovation, for all the vendors and innovators who help keep our cars on the road where they belong! And future vendors will as well.

Delorean Industries
07-05-2014, 08:40 AM
Not to be bleak but stating a few very important facts. It takes a lot of money to jump into this community quickly and it will be a shock if anyone takes the full blown approach I did as technically dpi is the most recent. The condition of the cars as a whole is deteriorating rapidly compared to 10 years ago. Time is finally taking its toll at an accelerated rate. The vendor support will shrink heavily within the next five years without suitable replacements within current organizations. People eventually despite a love for the car still want to have their golden years. Unless you are already financially committed to the situation becoming involved professionally in this community is a losing proposition.

The writing is on the walls and from a business standpoint will result in a last man standing situation. Only time will tell which organization or individual that is.

DrJeff
07-05-2014, 09:55 AM
...The writing is on the walls and from a business standpoint will result in a last man standing situation. Only time will tell which organization or individual that is.

It might be too limited to think of the community as simply owners and vendors. We are lucky in the sense that there are sufficient cars (all of the same model) to support a group of vendors. However, the owner community has provided some very important fixes and upgrades - as attested to by the lists of owner names put forward in this thread. What I really like about the Delorean community and the DMCTalk forum is that owners and vendors are willing to share on the many hours and funds they have invested into theirs cars.

So here's my note of thanks to all the owners that have posted, shared, youtube'd, blogged, about their cars and the work/changes they have done to them.

As regards vendors, I would suggest that vendors that support multiple makes/models are more likely to evolve (rather than a last many standing scenario). That could actually be a good thing for the Delorean community (depending on the car) in that innovations and practices from another car could transfer to the Delorean.

ALEXAKOS
07-06-2014, 04:15 AM
Not a long time member to have my opinion count as important.
But a good chance to list my knights in shinning armor:
- dangermouse ( us support)
- josh DPI ( performance parts)
- LordFly ( gave me the buying contact)
- eagle-co94 ( parts)

And of course all members that supported me financially by purchasing my little stuff I made as carved under my drivers door sill:
]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/alex-akos/delo%20resto/DSC00326_zps9d62516f.jpg

vps3922
07-08-2014, 11:45 AM
I seem to have missed it, but I want to add Toby Peterson (DMC NW, creator of the famous Toby's TABs) to the list.

And, for me, Dave (sdg3205), who is the master of CRAIG and ASI radio restoration and AUX add on, apart from donig a great job in restoring old DeLoreans.