PDA

View Full Version : General Steering Wheel Design and the DMC Badge

PB Co
07-06-2014, 12:02 PM
I was organizing some old shots I got at DCS12 of Proto 1 and I couldn't help but notice the radically different three spoke wheel and the "DMC" right in the middle of the round center pad. But why is the production wheel without manufacturer markings? Was it a thoughtful decision meant to keep driver's eyes on the road, or merely a production oversight due to the timeframe/cost? Afterall, they had time to update the automatic gear selector with one.

Thanks to forum member Bikercmbc for an original steering wheel at a core price. I am redoing the wheel and trying to decide what to direction to take the center pad. I am currently running a MOMO wheel and DMCH adapter from courtesy a previous owner so I am in a good spot to take my time. Still, I wonder about the intentions behind the original design.

Rich
07-06-2014, 01:17 PM
....why is the production wheel without manufacturer markings? Was it a thoughtful decision meant to keep driver's eyes on the road, or merely a production oversight due to the timeframe/cost? Afterall, they had time to update the automatic gear selector with one.

Good question.

Difficult to answer since the team that designed the interior hasn't surfaced to tell about it.

One guess is that it's nothing to do with driver distraction or cost-cutting but rather part of the understated and uncluttered design theme of the car.

It would be somewhat less expensive without a logo but was this a cause or a coincidence?

PB Co
07-06-2014, 02:28 PM
No specific answers from Nick Sutton's wonderful account in The DeLorean Story. I've read it twice but still cannot recall exactly what/if anything was mentioned about the interior beyond the red and blue colors that never came to be at the factory.

Member here, Welmoed, has a beautiful embossed DMC logo on his leather covered center pad. His added leather touches and all-black center console makes it one of the cleanest custom factory looking interiors I have seen even if I can't find the picture I saved.

With the new DMCMW emblem for the Momo style wheel (as well as their prototyped center pad) my tired factory wheel is looking naked. I like the idea of a simplistic timeless interior but a blank center pad is a curious choice for an OEM.

sapphirexae
07-06-2014, 05:10 PM
We have the Momo Evolution Wheel already installed but I was wondering if DMCMW sells just the emblem?

NightFlyer
07-06-2014, 05:43 PM
We have the Momo Evolution Wheel already installed but I was wondering if DMCMW sells just the emblem?

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10029-New-DMCMW-steering-wheel-adapter-kit-w-momo-style-wheel-installed&p=148406&viewfull=1#post148406

SBL
11-08-2015, 06:49 AM

I have been looking for that emblem and cannot find it. Is it available?

dustybarn
11-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Good question.

Difficult to answer since the team that designed the interior hasn't surfaced to tell about it.

One guess is that it's nothing to do with driver distraction or cost-cutting but rather part of the understated and uncluttered design theme of the car.

It would be somewhat less expensive without a logo but was this a cause or a coincidence?

I think you're right. DMC was very much trying for a classy, understated design aesthetic in everything they did. It is a common theme throughout all their promotional literature, their dealership trade dress, and even their business cards. IMHO it's one thing DMC did particularly well.

DMCMW Dave
11-08-2015, 09:08 PM
I have been looking for that emblem and cannot find it. Is it available?

Yes, but you need to call or email Julee. 815 459 6439 or julee(at)DeLorean.com. In stock.

Bruce Johnson
11-08-2015, 11:34 PM
I used a belt buckle

sdg3205
11-09-2015, 01:18 AM
Metal AT shifter emblem is a beauty too :)

PB Co
11-13-2015, 08:18 PM
I always intended to go back to stock I've really gotten used to the DMCMW emblem.

Currently preparing to drop a logo into a custom factory center pad inspired by this Giugiaro wheel. I almost thought about going after one but it is already so similar to the factory wheel.

Spittybug
11-14-2015, 09:59 AM
I'm partial to mine :approve: It's a Momo knockoff but since the center pad and trim was not of very high quality, I removed it and replaced it with a walnut center. Many coats of polyurethane, recessed allen head screws and a DMC hub center later, this is how she looks.

SIMid
11-15-2015, 10:42 PM
Currently preparing to drop a logo into a custom factory center pad inspired by this Giugiaro wheel. I almost thought about going after one but it is already so similar to the factory wheel.

That's a nice wheel! Would look very nice with the DMC logo at the bottom.