PDA

View Full Version : General insulation under console?

acaciolo
07-07-2014, 09:05 PM
what started as a simple headlamp switch replacement turned into installing Dave M's LED hvac kit, rebuilding the mode switch, cutting a din sized opening for a radio, and installing a jvc kameleon.

when I pulled off the center console, there was a little dried out gray foam, but not much. I am wondering if there is supposed to be any insulation here?

thanks!

tony c

NightFlyer
07-07-2014, 09:12 PM
what started as a simple headlamp switch replacement turned into installing Dave M's LED hvac kit, rebuilding the mode switch, cutting a din sized opening for a radio, and installing a jvc kameleon.

when I pulled off the center console, there was a little dried out gray foam, but not much. I am wondering if there is supposed to be any insulation here?

thanks!

tony c

The only place that mine had any foam/insulation was under the ash tray, which was completely degraded and fell apart upon looking at it the wrong way.

NightFlyer
07-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Tony got me interested, so I checked the parts manual, and the only thing that shows is a foam pad which is positioned under the ash tray, No 54 in the diagram below:

http://store.delorean.com/images/Product/large/108904.jpg

http://store.delorean.com/images/Category/large/8-7-0.jpg

acaciolo
07-07-2014, 09:47 PM
must be insulation for all those cigarette butts!

thanks for checking it out. back to running wires...

DMCMW Dave
07-08-2014, 12:11 AM
Tony got me interested, so I checked the parts manual, and the only thing that shows is a foam pad which is positioned under the ash tray, No 54 in the diagram below:]

It's apparently the same stuff as original headliner foam, and at this point is usually about same consistency (compresses, falls apart, is not springy at all, and feels greasy). Just toss it.

acaciolo
07-08-2014, 12:16 AM
already sucked up the bits and pieces with our dyson handheld, that then became clogged very quickly.

NightFlyer
07-08-2014, 12:24 AM
I wonder if (in theory) it acted to provide some thermal benefit to prolonging cig burning times???

As a non-smoker all my life, I honestly haven't a clue.

dmc6960
07-08-2014, 09:07 AM
already sucked up the bits and pieces with our dyson handheld, that then became clogged very quickly.

Wait a minute Doc! Are you telling me that a Dyson lost its suction?!?

acaciolo
07-08-2014, 11:24 AM
that dyson is my worst purchase ever. the $60 battery lasts about 6 mos. holds a charge for about 5 minutes. and the nozzle gets clogged. back to my old black and decker dustbuster for $35 rather than $135!

DavidProehl
07-08-2014, 11:29 AM
I wonder if (in theory) it acted to provide some thermal benefit to prolonging cig burning times???

As a non-smoker all my life, I honestly haven't a clue.

I was going to guess it was there to reduce rattle noise of the tray by lightly applying pressure from the bottom.