PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Door differences?

GS450-Junkie
07-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Were there some door differences throughout production? I was talking to another owner who was telling me of 2-3 different "generations" of doors used. Not sure what that means, or what to look for if he is in fact correct. I am guessing subtle design changes to improve performance. Any ideas? He even went as far as saying that if you replace a door at any point that certain generations were better than others.

Josh
07-08-2014, 09:35 AM
As for the mechanics, not that I am aware of. I have an early 81 door on my drivers and a 82 on my passenger and the shell is the same thing.

The differences that I know are:
Pull straps (moved from handle to integrated to panel in late models)
Exterior locks (keyed alike to ignition in late models)
Striker guides (SS units on 81s, plastic on later models, this was a recall added very early in production when there were no guides whatsoever)

But other than that there are no big changes I am aware of. Im sure someone can correct me on the dates and vins of these changes but its a ballpark idea

PB Co
07-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Also the early cars were built doors last. This became a problem for alignment as the rest of the body was already in place with less room for adjustment. Later they realized if the doors went on first, body panel alignment could be adjusted as the rest was assembled. Perhaps someone here knows the VIN ranges.

dmc6960
07-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Very very early doors were hand built with steel framing, not production style. I dont think these left the 500 VINs though.

mluder
07-08-2014, 12:17 PM
They are all somewhat unique - as is most stuff on the car due to the nature of production. As an example, my doors are neither the same shape or open the same amount when fully open. One sits slightly higher than the other. As I understand, this is pretty much true across the board.

JohnZ
07-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Door differences?

You can ask Matt Farah about that!

:giddy:

DMCMW Dave
07-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Early doors were stamped on temporary dies and don't always fit quite right.

Early doors were punched for the larger plastic door locks.

Later doors were punched for the later metal locks that match the ignition.

GS450-Junkie
07-08-2014, 01:36 PM

"Early" meaning what?

Fox2506
07-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Weren't early doors glued together where the outer skin meets the frame, and later doors welded? On my 81 (if I recall) you can see the deteriorated glue and if you jiggle the door you can feel the seam moving/sliding.

Rich W
07-08-2014, 04:40 PM

Very Early doors were stamped on temporary dies and don't always fit quite right ... Very Late Pilot cars (i.e. Pilot 25), 500 series and a few 6xx and 7xx series

Early doors were punched for the larger plastic door locks ... all early "production" doors through either 4187 (or 4199, depening upon reference document page)

Later doors were punched for the later metal locks that match the ignition ... all late doors starting either 4188 (or 4200, depening upon reference document page)

Note: Millennium Concours lists key change breakpoint at 4187 - 4188 on Page 9, then it lists the lock change breakpoint at 4199 - 4200 on Page 45)

I believe the 4187 - 4188 breakpoint is correct, since I have the later style doors, later style keylocks and the later style keys on VIN..4193.

DMCMW Dave
07-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Weren't early doors glued together where the outer skin meets the frame, and later doors welded? On my 81 (if I recall) you can see the deteriorated glue and if you jiggle the door you can feel the seam moving/sliding.

They were all glued. Any you happen to see welded were welded as a repair.

SIMid
07-08-2014, 09:38 PM
They were all glued.

Learnt something new today!