PDA

View Full Version : Heat & A/C windows anti fog products

Some guy
07-11-2014, 03:04 PM
So when i drive home and i get that afternoon sun and i see this fog that totally blocks me from seeing out my windshield. I have tried cleaning it and nothing seems to make it go away for more then a day or 2. i dont smoke, so i figure it is something to do with the fresh LA smog.

I was wondering if anyone has used the anti fog stuff out there for something like this? it is almost like an oil on the windshield. The windshield is only 2 years old.

I see bad reviews on rain x and so many others. I just dont want to put it on my window and regret it later.

Silverbullet
07-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Ah.... I live in the LA area... no issues... If it is oil like... you might have a heater core leak... I would just clean it a few times with a good glass cleaner... and see what happens... If it is a heater core leak it would fog up when closed up...

Craig

Rich
07-11-2014, 05:34 PM
Tell us whether the "fog" you are talking about it on the outside or the inside.

Since you mention RainX does this mean it is on the outside where RainX is usually applied?

Some guy
07-11-2014, 05:57 PM
This is on the inside of the car.

The thing is my header core is bad, it busted 2 years ago. i need it like 3 days a year out hear so i never replaced it. I just connected the hoses together that come off the motor.

if i clean it good, i get about a week before the fog is back.

Do you think there is left over coolant in the heater core after so long?

i have the old hoses zip tied out of the way for when i finally get around to replacing it.

Rich
07-11-2014, 06:17 PM

The thing is my header core is bad, it busted 2 years ago. i need it like 3 days a year out hear so i never replaced it. I just connected the hoses together that come off the motor.

if i clean it good, i get about a week before the fog is back.Is it just around the edges, like near the A-pillars, is it worse by the defroster vent or is it kind of all over? What about the door glass?

Do you think there is left over coolant in the heater core after so long? Could be.

i have the old hoses zip tied out of the way for when i finally get around to replacing it.

There are at least two possibilities:

a. Coolant from the core, the open hoses or wherever the coolant leaked to when it busted
b. Outgassing of vinyl plasticizer from the interior

Extra questions:

When did this begin to happen?
Have you sprayed ArmorAll or other such treatment onto the dash or the interior lately? Ever?

Some guy
07-11-2014, 06:35 PM
The dash is just a cover. The real dash is pretty far gone. i dont have any thing sprayed on the inside other then the glass cleaner.

I am not sure when it started. It has been going on for a while, i am guessing as it gets warmer it get worse.

Is there any way it could be from the r-134a? Like if i had a leak there?

It is pretty even all over the windshield and some on the front of the driver side window. It dose seam to dissipate as you get further back.

i will start running the defroster more. maybe that will dry it out more.

dmc6960
07-14-2014, 09:31 AM

if i clean it good, i get about a week before the fog is back.

Do you think there is left over coolant in the heater core after so long?

Bingo. If you never actually emptied the heater core, AND you know its bad, of course thats where the problem is coming from. Rinse it out and empty it, done. Take a garden hose and run it through it to flush out all the old coolant. Once done with that, take a shop vac (wet/dry vac) and vacuum the leftover water from there. You may need to clean your windshield a few more times, but it should significantly go away.

Some guy
07-14-2014, 01:20 PM
I think you were 100% right on that one. i went to blow in the hose that leads to the heater core and there was still a lot of coolant in there. I just disconnected it at the heater core and blew out the hoses. Drove it Sunday and it was clear.

Thanks