PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Key / lock assembly popping out of door

n29we
07-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Hi everyone. I just drove the D today and for the first time since bringing it back to life I locked the doors. No big deal, they worked fine but when I went around to passenger side the key assembly was popped partially out of the door. I haven't dug into my manuals yet but I'm wondering how the lock assembly is held into the door? Some sort of lock ring, adhesive or something else?. I just popped it back in and all is OK but I want to fix this. thanks Jim O

DMCMW Dave
07-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Hi everyone. I just drove the D today and for the first time since bringing it back to life I locked the doors. No big deal, they worked fine but when I went around to passenger side the key assembly was popped partially out of the door. I haven't dug into my manuals yet but I'm wondering how the lock assembly is held into the door? Some sort of lock ring, adhesive or something else?. I just popped it back in and all is OK but I want to fix this. thanks Jim O

One-key ore two-key car? I.E does the ignition key open the doors?

n29we
07-12-2014, 07:13 AM
One-key ore two-key car? I.E does the ignition key open the doors?

Hi - I guess I need to clarify what happened. I was sitting inside the car and hit the lock button, the locks worked perfectly. Later on I was walking around the outside of the car and saw the key/lock set partially popping out of the door. I pushed it back in and its fine. The mechanical activaton of the locks inside the door seems to be forcing the lockset out. I am wondering how the it attached to the door? Has some sort of clip or mechanical device broken or fallen off inside the door?

DMCMW Dave
07-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Hi - I guess I need to clarify what happened. I was sitting inside the car and hit the lock button, the locks worked perfectly. Later on I was walking around the outside of the car and saw the key/lock set partially popping out of the door. I pushed it back in and its fine. The mechanical activaton of the locks inside the door seems to be forcing the lockset out. I am wondering how the it attached to the door? Has some sort of clip or mechanical device broken or fallen off inside the door?

That is why I asked. There are two styles of lock. The one that matches the ignition key is held with a metal clip that is probably rattling around in the bottom of the door. The one that does not match the ignition key is larger, is plastic, and if the inner retainer fell off it is probably broken. If that is the case you will probably need to upgrade to the later locks.

This is one of those cases why people ask for your VIN, at least an approximation. The locks changed approximately VIN 4188 (per the bulletin, but we all know how closely the factory followed engineering's instructions!).

n29we
07-12-2014, 07:19 PM
That is why I asked. There are two styles of lock. The one that matches the ignition key is held with a metal clip that is probably rattling around in the bottom of the door. The one that does not match the ignition key is larger, is plastic, and if the inner retainer fell off it is probably broken. If that is the case you will probably need to upgrade to the later locks.

This is one of those cases why people ask for your VIN, at least an approximation. The locks changed approximately VIN 4188 (per the bulletin, but we all know how closely the factory followed engineering's instructions!).

Thanks Dave that answers the question. I haven't looked at it that close to see what type I have. I used the inside lock switch to lock, not the key so I don't know which type I have. I just shocked me to see it partially hanging out of the door. I'll check out which type I have now that I know the details. I'm still a newbie VIN 3469 Thanks Jim O

NightFlyer
07-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks Dave that answers the question. I haven't looked at it that close to see what type I have. I used the inside lock switch to lock, not the key so I don't know which type I have. I just shocked me to see it partially hanging out of the door. I'll check out which type I have now that I know the details. I'm still a newbie VIN 3469 Thanks Jim O

Based on VIN, you should have the two key system unless a previous owner modified / swapped out the door lock cylinders.

Easiest way to tell is whether you have two keys for the car (one for the ignition / storage compartment / locking gas cap (where applicable), and one solely for the doors), or one key that is used on all the lock cylinders on the car.

You can also tell by the outside color of the door lock cylinders. Black is the old two key, while a silver/chrome surrounded by a black ring is the newer single key.

n29we
07-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Based on VIN, you should have the two key system unless a previous owner modified / swapped out the door lock cylinders.

Easiest way to tell is whether you have two keys for the car (one for the ignition / storage compartment / locking gas cap (where applicable), and one solely for the doors), or one key that is used on all the lock cylinders on the car.

You can also tell by the outside color of the door lock cylinders. Black is the old two key, while a silver/chrome surrounded by a black ring is the newer single key.

I have the "black" ones.

NightFlyer
07-12-2014, 09:15 PM
I have the "black" ones.

Then as Dave previously stated, they're held on by a large plastic clip, which is most likely broken. The clips are no longer available anywhere, thus if you want to remain with the two key system, you'll have to come up with some sort of customized repair. Otherwise, the alternative option is sending one of the DMCH franchisees a detailed picture of your ignition key and having them send you replacement door lock cylinders that will be operable with that same key (known as the one key system), that you'll then swap out with your existing cylinders.

Unless your intention with your car is concours, there's no reason not to switch to the one key system, unless you prefer the aesthetic appearance of the black cylinder to the silver/chrome black ringed cylinders, as I personally do.

Best luck :thumbup:

May81DeLorean
12-11-2016, 05:43 PM
There are two styles of lock. The one that matches the ignition key is held with a metal clip that is probably rattling around in the bottom of the door. The one that does not match the ignition key is larger, is plastic, and if the inner retainer fell off it is probably broken. If that is the case you will probably need to upgrade to the later locks.

I have the earlier door-lock cylinder, but need to transition to the later door-lock style due to the cylinder being damaged with no linkage coming from the cylinder. What I need to determine is what part number would connect the new door-lock cylinder to the rest of the door latch mechanism, I don't know if a cable or a rod should be hooked up to the inside portion of the door-lock cylinder, as the linkage currently does not exist in the car.

I am thinking Part #26 in the door diagram (part # 101422 - cable, door lock) is the part needed to link the door-lock cylinder to the rest of the door mechanism, but am not sure.

Jonathan
12-11-2016, 07:05 PM
This is what the door lock cylinder looks like from the inside on my car.

I had them replaced soon after getting the car in 2007. The current replacement kit looks like this (and probably was similar when I got my own kit):

http://store.delorean.com/p-9484-door-locks-keyed-with-keys.aspx

If changing from old style to new, you may need to cut a notch into the stainless to accommodate the slightly different shaped cylinder. More info here:

http://support.delorean.com/kb/a9/delorean-keys-and-locks.aspx

Call your favourite vendor (the one you'll get the parts from) and have them explain to you clearly what will be required to complete the swap.