PDA

View Full Version : General Holy frustrations Batman!

alexwolf1216
07-11-2014, 11:57 PM
What an awful evening! We spent 2 hours trying to remove the stupid lower ujoint so we could install the new steering column bushing. Tugging, pulling, cursing, and some crying and it finally came out. We somehow managed to get the new bushing installed with no problem, but Ill be damned if that steering column didnt fight us all the way. Finally we got the thing threw to find out that the intermediate shaft was rusted and frozen in place. Soaking in PB did nothing at all. Maybe its time to look at just getting new ujoints + shaft for ease of getting my car back on the road.

So then I decided to install my new Polk speakers. The tweeters are too big, so we tried bending the tabs, but i couldnt get the nuts on. Ill have to find those standoffs somewhere......

At least I got my tie rod ends installed. Dont think I could screw that up. :confused2:

Rich_NYS
07-12-2014, 12:29 AM
Finally we got the thing threw to find out that the intermediate shaft was rusted and frozen in place. Soaking in PB did nothing at all. Maybe its time to look at just getting new ujoints + shaft for ease of getting my car back on the road.

What did you get through? What part of the intermediate shaft is still frozen, and where?

alexwolf1216
07-12-2014, 12:33 AM
Sorry, I meant that I got the steering column through the bushing..... poor english when I am mad haha.....

The middle nut/bolt came out, but i cant seperate the shaft from the lower ujoint.

jawn101
07-12-2014, 12:44 AM
Did you *fully remove* the nut and bolt from the U-joint? There is a detent in the splined portion of the shaft that locks in place even if the bolt is loose. It must be fully removed.

alexwolf1216
07-12-2014, 12:47 AM
Did you *fully remove* the nut and bolt from the U-joint? There is a detent in the splined portion of the shaft that locks in place even if the bolt is loose. It must be fully removed.
Yes, there are no bolts in at all

Rich_NYS
07-12-2014, 12:49 AM
Sorry, I meant that I got the steering column through the bushing..... poor english when I am mad haha.....

The middle nut/bolt came out, but i cant seperate the shaft from the lower ujoint.

I had trouble with mine also when I changed my bushing recently.

-I removed the bolt.
-Sprayed it heavily(as you did.)
-Used a large screwdriver to tap into that "split" on the lower joint (small chisel would probably work also.)
-Used a heat gun on high.
-Clamped a pair of vice-grips on the shaft to work it loose (ala rdarlington.) I think I might've also used a small hammer on the vice-grips.

I also made a mark on the shaft at the end of the joint for reference, and wire-brushed the shaft splines after I got it apart. The good news is that you have the top joint apart, so you have more "freedom of travel." Don't give up bro....it'll come apart.

You have the wheel off & access cover out, right?

jawn101
07-12-2014, 12:50 AM
OK. They can be a real bitch to remove, especially if the joints are seized - likely a lot of rust going on in there. You should definitely consider replacing the u-joint and intermediary shaft. Martin at DCUK has a really nice one (biased, that's the one I bought and I love it) but there are several out there. You won't *believe* the improvement it will make to your steering.

Are you working through the access panel in the trunk or from underneath? It's WAY easier to do from above.

alexwolf1216
07-12-2014, 12:51 AM
OK. They can be a real bitch to remove, especially if the joints are seized - likely a lot of rust going on in there. You should definitely consider replacing the u-joint and intermediary shaft. Martin at DCUK has a really nice one (biased, that's the one I bought and I love it) but there are several out there. You won't *believe* the improvement it will make to your steering.

Are you working through the access panel in the trunk or from underneath? It's WAY easier to do from above.

Im working from the access panel....but I have the entire assembly out of the car.

Did you do the vibration reducing upgrade?

Rich_NYS
07-12-2014, 12:53 AM
OK. They can be a real bitch to remove, especially if the joints are seized - likely a lot of rust going on in there.

Are the joints seized, or just the sleeve stuck to the shaft?

alexwolf1216
07-12-2014, 12:54 AM
Are the joints seized, or just the sleeve stuck to the shaft?

Sleve stuck to shaft, but the bottom nut isnt tightening down either....

jawn101
07-12-2014, 12:54 AM
Im working from the access panel....but I have the entire assembly out of the car.

Did you do the vibration reducing upgrade?

Nope, just Martin's (here: http://www.delorean.co.uk/parts.html - second one down)

The vibration reducing joint is intriguing, but wasn't an identified option when I did my upgrade. I don't have a vibration problem though, IMO if you have vibrations dramatic enough to need reducing then there's other things wrong with the setup. No matter what you do, it will be better than rusted up OEM joints :)

Rich_NYS
07-12-2014, 12:58 AM
Sleve stuck to shaft, but the bottom nut isnt tightening down either....

Not sure what to think of the bottom nut, but if you have the whole thing out I'm sure you can get it apart. Now you can really put heat to where you want it (just be careful not to melt anything in the joint if there's nylon there...)

Jonathan
07-12-2014, 08:17 AM
So then I decided to install my new Polk speakers. The tweeters are too big, so we tried bending the tabs, but i couldnt get the nuts on. Ill have to find those standoffs somewhere......

I feel your pain dude! It's bad enough that the speaker tabs won't go on the threaded posts, but you're getting sore as hell in the process upside down in the footwell.

I ended up MacGyver'ing a solution of my own when I couldn't get my hands on those post extensions. I checked the speakers just the other day and it's still holding on in there. Another option for you anyway.

Notifier
07-12-2014, 10:14 AM
I believe I still have some of these available if they will work for you: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?t=6844

alexwolf1216
07-12-2014, 10:16 AM
I am in....anything to make this easier..

Rich_NYS
07-14-2014, 12:27 AM
What's the update on your stuck sleeve?

alexwolf1216
07-14-2014, 07:08 AM
Nothing worked. Its almost like its welded in there! I am going to call Borgeson this morning.

alexwolf1216
07-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Update: Borgeson shipped out my new parts today. In theory, ill be driving again by the end of the week!