PDA

View Full Version : General Where does this bracket attach to?

alexwolf1216
07-12-2014, 02:03 PM
This bracket fell out while I was taking the binnacle out. I looked at the diagram, but I cant tell where it attaches to. Can someone help me out? Its part 108096.

jawn101
07-12-2014, 02:26 PM
That holds your innermost kneepad to the center console. #44 here: http://store.delorean.com/c-316-8-7-0-dashboardconsole.aspx

Basically one side goes to the post/bolt on the kneepad and the other side (with the triangular fold) attaches to the vertical portion of the center console. You'll see the hole and how the fold lines up with the line of the console if you look carefully under the dash.

alexwolf1216
07-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Ok thanks, I couldnt make heads or tails of it.....I also think im missing 29 as well.

jawn101
07-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Ok thanks, I couldnt make heads or tails of it.....I also think im missing 29 as well.

It's amazing how parts just disappear from these cars over time :) I personally can't imagine taking something out, having it left over when I was done reassembling something and saying "eh, how important could it have really been?" :)

29 is fairly important for appearances as it helps tighten up the gaps in the kneepads. And if you're anything like me and find yourself kicking that #28 when you get out of the car, the bracket will help keep things in place. But it's not like a critical part in any way. For $7 I'd just toss it on your next order and call it good.

Sounds like you're really making a lot of progress and having a lot of fun with your car. Hope it continues!

alexwolf1216
07-12-2014, 02:48 PM
It's amazing how parts just disappear from these cars over time :) I personally can't imagine taking something out, having it left over when I was done reassembling something and saying "eh, how important could it have really been?" :)

29 is fairly important for appearances as it helps tighten up the gaps in the kneepads. And if you're anything like me and find yourself kicking that #28 when you get out of the car, the bracket will help keep things in place. But it's not like a critical part in any way. For $7 I'd just toss it on your next order and call it good.

Sounds like you're really making a lot of progress and having a lot of fun with your car. Hope it continues!

Yeah, I planned to put back the binnacle today but I opted for the LED lights...they wont be in until monday, so Ill tinker with it then.

alexwolf1216
07-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Next question, where exactly does this leather cover attach to over the steering wheel? The gaiter I think its called? I dont even see it on the diagram.

jawn101
07-12-2014, 10:45 PM
Right, gaiter. That one's a little hard to describe. The leather is meant to cover the steering column as you pull it out of the dashboard (towards you)

Unless you're Verne Troyer you probably aren't doing that.

Basically you should have straps hanging off of it with little grommets. The grommets go over the studs in the kneepads to either side of the steering column to secure the gaiter down. It should drape over the top of the column, bolted down by the kneepads.

Hard to describe and tough to get a picture of with everything installed. Hopefully I described it well enough for you to get it figured out...

alexwolf1216
07-12-2014, 10:47 PM
So all 4 bolt holes are for the kneepad? I shoulda taken pics of it as I took it off....:8ball:

jawn101
07-12-2014, 10:49 PM
So all 4 bolt holes are for the kneepad? I shoulda taken pics of it as I took it off....:8ball:

Well, there are brackets hanging down from the dash which you bolt the kneepads to. I forget exactly how many grommets are on the gaiter but they attach to some or all of the 4 surrounding the steering column, 2 on either one of the driver's side kneepads. Just slip them over the bolts after the kneepads are installed but before the nuts go on. Then tighten them down.

DMC5180
07-12-2014, 10:53 PM

The 1 upper stud and 1 lower stud of each knee pad next to the steering column.

alexwolf1216
07-12-2014, 11:08 PM
Excellent, thanks everyone

GS450-Junkie
09-17-2014, 12:13 AM
Excellent, thanks everyone

Can anyone post a picture of their gaiter installed just for reference please? Thanks !