PDA

View Full Version : Heat & A/C clicking from really compartment when a/c is on and accelerating

acaciolo
07-13-2014, 11:14 AM
I have dug into this yet, but I wanted to see if there was any well known problem.

when my a/c is on and I am NOT idling, I get a clicking noise every 4 seconds or so (today I am going to try to see what is clicking...haven't pinpointed it yet). it does not happen at idle. only when rpm is above 1000.

cooling fan cb? the fans seem to be running fine.

thanks

tony c

Bitsyncmaster
07-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Its your AC compressor cycle that makes the noise. Your fan relay switches and even with my solid state fan relay (silent running), I hear the low pressure switch click on mine. But 4 seconds sounds a little short to me but that depends on how hot it is outside and your cabin fan speed.

acaciolo
07-13-2014, 11:45 AM
it isn't terribly hot, and my fan speed was 4. I know the sound of the compressor click...I don't think this is it. this sounds more like someone connecting a 9v battery to a speaker. ( I actually disconnected the speaker on that side thinking I had some weird electrical issue). I am going to use the stethoscope tonight and try to see if I can kind anything. does the compressor kicking off and on trigger any relay in there?

Bitsyncmaster
07-13-2014, 12:40 PM
it isn't terribly hot, and my fan speed was 4. I know the sound of the compressor click...I don't think this is it. this sounds more like someone connecting a 9v battery to a speaker. ( I actually disconnected the speaker on that side thinking I had some weird electrical issue). I am going to use the stethoscope tonight and try to see if I can kind anything. does the compressor kicking off and on trigger any relay in there?

The low pressure switch triggers the compressor and that triggers the cooling fan relay.

Check the relay next to the blue fan fail socket.

acaciolo
07-13-2014, 12:47 PM
will do. also going to check freon charge...after I buy some gauges

acaciolo
07-13-2014, 09:13 PM
freon psi was only around 30. took it up to 42 since it was 88 degrees here today. The workshop manual calls for much less, but I am assuming that is because it is r12? for r134a, everything I've ready says around 45.

clicking has stopped. air is even colder.

is 45 correct at that temp?

thanks

Bitsyncmaster
07-14-2014, 05:41 AM
freon psi was only around 30. took it up to 42 since it was 88 degrees here today. The workshop manual calls for much less, but I am assuming that is because it is r12? for r134a, everything I've ready says around 45.

clicking has stopped. air is even colder.

is 45 correct at that temp?

thanks

You can not determine the freon charge just by reading the low pressure side. I assume your readings were done with the AC running. The low pressure value is determined by the low pressure switch calibration.

acaciolo
07-14-2014, 07:49 AM
yes. engine running. gauge on low side. my gauge is set up for quick disconnect, so couldn't test high side. need to get a fitting this week.

Rich
07-14-2014, 09:04 PM
yes. engine running. gauge on low side. my gauge is set up for quick disconnect, so couldn't test high side. need to get a fitting this week.

I think Dave M was expecting you'd have a complete A/C manifold gauge set. It's the way to go unless you take it to a shop.

This one, for example, works with R134a fittings in case your A/C was converted. LINK: Short-hose R-134 gauge manifold set (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Quest-24-in-long-do-it-yourself-manifold-gauge-and-hose-set/_/N-25us?itemIdentifier=667630&_requestid=1372859)

acaciolo
07-14-2014, 11:57 PM
I do have a gauge set, but I don't have a quick disconnect on my high pressure side. it is on my growing list...