PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Locked out of car

berickson926
07-13-2014, 07:39 PM
I have seen this recent thread (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10172-Locked-my-keys-inside-car-while-working-on-door-locks-Any-advice) but maybe my situation is different enough to warrant a new post. If not, I apologize in advance!

I feel like I've stumbled into a worst-case scenario:

I have the early style door lock keyed separate from ignition. I bought the car recently and the PO did not have the door key to give me.

Both windows are rolled up.

Battery is disconnected.

Power door locks were engaged before disconnecting the battery and both doors closed.

I am a little confused about the early-style door locks, I was under the impression I wouldn't be able to get a key made without updating to the late style single key setup. However in the other thread, zimvsdib mentions he was able to get a locksmith to make him a key.

Drivers side door is out of alignment (that is another story) and only the front latch is on, the rear bolt is removed from the door frame. This means I can lift the drivers side door up slightly (mostly from the rear) and I was considering giving this idea a try (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2731&view=next).

Is it possible to get a locksmith or DMC CA to get me a door key? Even if it can be done, will the lack of power to the door locks still be an issue?

I actually had AAA try the door shim approach which failed. They wanted to come back and try an air bag to bend the door so they could manipulate the interior door lock switch. With the battery disconnected that seems useless. I didn't have them try it yet.

It would absolutely kill me to have to smash a window to get back into my car. Any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

Bitsyncmaster
07-13-2014, 08:36 PM
The key and door unlock switch will work without the battery but it just takes a little more force. The power door locks take over after you have moved the lock about half way.

Try a lock smith if you can not get in yourself. The $150 is way cheaper than replacing that window.

NightFlyer
07-13-2014, 08:42 PM
A locksmith that can fashion a door key is the only way to procure a door key at this point for the early two key system.

The other option is upgrading to the one key system by procuring door lock cylinder matched to your ignition key from DMCH and swapping them out with the ones currently on the car.

The door key uses the generic blanks Curtis BL-1 or Ilco X169.

David T
07-13-2014, 09:11 PM
I have seen this recent thread (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10172-Locked-my-keys-inside-car-while-working-on-door-locks-Any-advice) but maybe my situation is different enough to warrant a new post. If not, I apologize in advance!

I feel like I've stumbled into a worst-case scenario:

I have the early style door lock keyed separate from ignition. I bought the car recently and the PO did not have the door key to give me.

Both windows are rolled up.

Battery is disconnected.

Power door locks were engaged before disconnecting the battery and both doors closed.

I am a little confused about the early-style door locks, I was under the impression I wouldn't be able to get a key made without updating to the late style single key setup. However in the other thread, zimvsdib mentions he was able to get a locksmith to make him a key.

Drivers side door is out of alignment (that is another story) and only the front latch is on, the rear bolt is removed from the door frame. This means I can lift the drivers side door up slightly (mostly from the rear) and I was considering giving this idea a try (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2731&view=next).

Is it possible to get a locksmith or DMC CA to get me a door key? Even if it can be done, will the lack of power to the door locks still be an issue?

I actually had AAA try the door shim approach which failed. They wanted to come back and try an air bag to bend the door so they could manipulate the interior door lock switch. With the battery disconnected that seems useless. I didn't have them try it yet.

It would absolutely kill me to have to smash a window to get back into my car. Any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

Most locksmiths using current unlocking methods use a small airbag to pry open the door enough to gain access to reach an unlocking point inside the vehicle compartment. That doesn't work all that well for a Delorean. The door is not flexible enough to pry it open. The way to get the door unlocked is to use a "Slim Jim" and catch the locking rod behind the lock cylinder and move it to unlock the door. The other method is to force the small window enough to get a tool in and press the unlock button but that risks damaging the window or at least messing up the tracks. An alternate method could be to drill out the lock cylinder and change over to the 1 key system.

awildermode
07-14-2014, 12:44 AM
The way to get the door unlocked is to use a "Slim Jim" and catch the locking rod behind the lock cylinder and move it to unlock the door.

According to Danny at DMC-California, a slim jim will not work on a DeLorean. It was either, it does not fit (no room), or the slim jim cannot catch the lock mechanism...or both, I forget.

He also said the two key system is harder to get into. One key is easier. But, he can get into them.

An alternate method could be to drill out the lock cylinder and change over to the 1 key system.

That might be your only choice, without damaging other 'important' parts.

Since you are close to DMC-CA, give Danny a call. Good luck.

berickson926
07-14-2014, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I was able to have a locksmith pick the lock successfully.

Timebender
07-16-2014, 01:16 PM
It's all in the tumblers..