PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Paint for Rear Louvre

Mickfly
07-14-2014, 10:56 PM
Has anyone painted their rear louvre? If so what type and color paint did you use? Thanks.

kajcienski
07-14-2014, 11:00 PM
SEM Trim Black. The original louvres had a texture to it (like most quarter panel vents). Not sure how to replicate that texture, but most owners I know who DIY use the SEM Trim Black. Before I went NOS, I used it with great results.

Mickfly
07-14-2014, 11:14 PM
SEM Trim Black. The original louvres had a texture to it (like most quarter panel vents). Not sure how to replicate that texture, but most owners I know who DIY use the SEM Trim Black. Before I went NOS, I used it with great results.

Is it this?

Mickfly
07-14-2014, 11:16 PM

Who sells the NOS paint? Thanks

NightFlyer
07-15-2014, 12:34 AM
Who sells the NOS paint? Thanks

I think he meant to say that he purchased a set of NOS louvers (which come pre-finished)....

kajcienski
07-15-2014, 12:44 AM
Correct. The factory finish is textured. It wears down after time and washing though in most cases. I would go for the SEM Trim Black if DIY.

DMCMW Dave
07-15-2014, 10:49 AM
The louver finish when new is very fragile. A couple of good scrubbings and it loses the rough finish.

To replicate it you use the Trim Black but you spray it from far away so it goes on dry and rough. Which also makes it very fragile.

RoyHinkley
07-15-2014, 12:14 PM
+1 on the SEM trim black.
Also good for side vents, rub strips, rear plate surround, ground effect (skirts), bumpers...

Flash66
07-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Here's some photos of my pontoon renovation as well as what will be on the louvres with SEM TB. This was a lot of work but worth it. If I can lend a suggestion.
Get yourself the red fine scotch brite pads from any auto parts store. This is all you'll need to prep your louvres etc. Then use acetone, reswipe with pad, acetone again, tac-cloth swipe and hit the louvre with Bulldog adhesive promoter 19.00 ( 2 coats) then in 5 minutes spray 2 lights coats of SEM 5 minutes apart followed by 2 - 3 medium coats SEM 5 minutes apart. Done! I just finished this a day ago so its fresh on my mind. Takes 5 minutes to dry, 48 hrs to cure. You'll need 2 cans to do the louvre. 30.00 for SEM. 19.00 for Bulldog, 6.00 SB pads, 8.00 acetone. 3.00 rags (t-shirt material) 1.00 tac-cloth. Also Orielly's will have everything and can have the paint overnight as they carry it but usually not a stock item. Good luck!

MML
07-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Here's some photos of my pontoon renovation as well as what will be on the louvres with SEM TB. This was a lot of work but worth it. If I can lend a suggestion.
Get yourself the red fine scotch brite pads from any auto parts store. This is all you'll need to prep your louvres etc. Then use acetone, reswipe with pad, acetone again, tac-cloth swipe and hit the louvre with Bulldog adhesive promoter 19.00 ( 2 coats) then in 5 minutes spray 2 lights coats of SEM 5 minutes apart followed by 2 - 3 medium coats SEM 5 minutes apart. Done! I just finished this a day ago so its fresh on my mind. Takes 5 minutes to dry, 48 hrs to cure. You'll need 2 cans to do the louvre. 30.00 for SEM. 19.00 for Bulldog, 6.00 SB pads, 8.00 acetone. 3.00 rags (t-shirt material) 1.00 tac-cloth. Also Orielly's will have everything and can have the paint overnight as they carry it but usually not a stock item. Good luck!

Some beautiful work there. I was hoping to do my trunk area this summer, this is only inspiring me further! :biggrin:

Flash66
07-16-2014, 07:28 PM
To replicate it you use the Trim Black but you spray it from far away so it goes on dry and rough. Which also makes it very fragile.

Don't do this! See my post above for the proper method. Thanks MML! Was worth the effort and looks brand new!

wiresman
07-16-2014, 10:12 PM
SEM Trim Black works very well

NightFlyer
07-16-2014, 10:28 PM
SEM Trim Black works very well

Nice Allante :thumbup:

Ashyukun
07-17-2014, 03:32 PM
Yup, SEM Trim Black is the way to go. When I repainted mine I knew that there was supposed to be a texture to the louvers but there wasn't much of any on mine and I'd not paid that much attention when I'd seen other cars- so when I bought the paint I also talked to the guys at the shop about this and they figured it was something what SEM Texture Coating would produce (http://www.semproducts.com/texture-coating/), so I got a few cans of that and used it. Turns out that's a LOT more texture than it's supposed to have, but I have very unique louvers as a result. :P

pezzonovante88
07-17-2014, 03:36 PM
I wonder how it would turn out with a thin layer of 'texture coating', followed by two layers or SEM Trim Black....

Kevin
07-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Yet another vote for SEM Trim Black, used it on my louvres and side louvres. Some photos here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?241-What-have-you-done-to-your-DeLorean-today&p=71186#post71186

yellowmxwheels23
07-19-2014, 04:57 AM
Message skill. He recently did his and they look great.

Flash66
07-19-2014, 07:55 AM
Don't do this! See my post above for the proper method. Thanks MML! Was worth the effort and looks brand new!

I replied to this in a hurry and I didn't want to sound overly contradictory to Dave's post. My apologies Dave. I have used this method also of holding the can further back, and while it looks somewhat textured, the first wash will totally kill it and you're left with just a dull finish. You would have to top layer with a harder clear to retain the texture and counter the fragility. I agree the SEM texture with trim black overlay is probably the way to go.