PDA

View Full Version : General Roof box question

penciltester
07-15-2014, 11:48 PM
What do I remove to see if my roof box is in good shape.

Thanks

Rich
07-16-2014, 12:11 AM
What do I remove to see if my roof box is in good shape.

An easy way to start is to just pull off the rear finisher panel and look at the mounting brackets for the torsion bars. They shouldn't have rotated very much (taking the box with them, that is) and you shouldn't see any buckling of the back of the roof box to either side of either of those brackets.

It isn't a foolproof test - a little box deformation is hard to spot that way. But a bad case of delam will be obvious from this first look. Sometimes one side is OK and you can use it to compare to the other side.

Rear finisher is the plastic shield just below and ahead of the rear louver, just above the rear window glass. Don't break it when you take it off.

If you want to really see the box then pull the stainless T-panel off, exposing the roof.

marwood82
07-16-2014, 05:59 AM
t panel off is the best way. also worth opening the doors and checking for rust/cracks along the side of it too.

if you want to thoroughly check, i guess you could also try have a look inside it through the hole for the wiring loom. (not sure how easy that is)

its worth checking though as if water is getting in, it will eventually just eat it from the inside.

they can get pretty bad. this is what came off mine.
28989 28990

once it was off the car you could actually rip it in half with your hands!

john 05141
07-16-2014, 07:13 AM
Interesting question.
I am facing the same problem!

Taking the T-panel off, it is not that bad, but under the tortion bars you see delamination . Picurer is not that clear
+ my roofbox was loose. Looking in the opening from the connectors the color looks rusty anyway.289912899228993

But I am hoping to postpone this replacement for at least another year.
What do you guys think?

Bitsyncmaster
07-16-2014, 07:21 AM
I would bet any car that has seen rain, the inside of the box looks like crap. I looked under that cover in mine and it looks very rusty. So it's just a matter of deciding if the box is bad enough to go thought the expense of replacement. If the back side has delaminated, you can bolt it down to the fiberglass.

marwood82
07-16-2014, 07:32 AM
Interesting question.
I am facing the same problem!

Taking the T-panel off, it is not that bad, but under the tortion bars you see delamination . Picurer is not that clear
+ my roofbox was loose. Looking in the opening from the connectors the color looks rusty anyway.289912899228993

But I am hoping to postpone this replacement for at least another year.
What do you guys think?

hard to say really i drove mine for a bit but had i known the full extent of how damaged it was i probably wouldn't have. i dont think yours looks as bad.

i'd say that interior does look quite rusty from your photo. (but then i don't know what they normally look like)

btw what do you mean 'loose'?

if you're in belgium then you're in luck as Ed at Delorean Europe can fit a stainless steel replacement. its not a cheap repair but you'll only need it done once.
I'm very happy with mine.

john 05141
07-17-2014, 06:44 AM
I was told by Ed it was loose and it was tighened down temporarily from the rear.
I cannot immagine it is loose on the roof, maybe some on else can explain this better?

dustybarn
07-17-2014, 09:20 AM
I was told by Ed it was loose and it was tighened down temporarily from the rear.
I cannot immagine it is loose on the roof, maybe some on else can explain this better?

The metal roof box is bonded to the fiberglass roof structure with adhesive. Over time, this adhesive sometimes fails, depriving the roof box of some of its stiffness. The torque from the torsion bars then begins to twist the roof box out of shape. The usual solution is to drill down through the roof box and fiberglass, and firmly bolt the roof box down to the underbody. This requires removal of both the T-panel and the rear headliner. There are a number of threads on this forum describing how this repair is performed.

I removed the headliner to replace the fabric, and although my roof box was not loose, I decided to bolt it down anyway to eliminate any future concerns.

D Knight
07-17-2014, 10:49 AM
29023 this what I'll be tackling near then end of the year. Lolls like a quality piece. Nice gauge stainless.

-D Knight-

David T
07-17-2014, 11:09 AM
29023 this what I'll be tackling near then end of the year. Lolls like a quality piece. Nice gauge stainless.

-D Knight-

You defiantly need to remove the Tee panel to properly inspect that area. You most likely will need to replace the foam that holds the Tee panel up in the front anyway. Be very careful with the edges of the Tee panel, they are razor sharp! Once you get a peek inside the box you will probably want to paint it with POR 15, they get all rusty inside. When you put the Tee panel back you need to make sure it is centered with the gap at the top of the doors set equally. To help keep water out make sure the outer door seals are in good shape. Especially the ones at the top of the doors.

Trstno1
08-31-2014, 05:27 AM
Can anyone give a step by step on how to remove your T-panel I had wanted to check for rust and change the upper door weather stripping up there. I just don't want to break anything...

Pictures would be great!