PDA

View Full Version : General Just want to say thanks.

STAINLS
07-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Just bought my D last weekend. Posted it in the open discussion section. Had a rocky drive home with it. Not going into too much detail but my wife gave me a "love tap" 10 minutes from home getting off the interstate and onto the highway that leads to our house. Didn't do crazy damage to the D. She was only doing about 10 mph. Bent the driver's side of the exhaust up into the back of the motor and bent the lower fascia mounting plate and twisted the rear frame ever so slightly on the bottom. Wife's car took the brunt of the impact. Made for one hell of a day 1 with the car. Pure joy for 8 hours of driving and utter devastation the last 10 minutes. The dream was over. Top it off, insurance was giving me the run around all week with getting it repaired as well. Ended up cancelling the claim on the D and opted to repair it myself. It was horrible.

That said. I started making phone calls to the right people and in a matter of a couple days, it's fixed. Not just fixed, I mean FIXED. Better than it was before in more ways than just the rear-ending. It was a HUGE undertaking to fix this mess and it could only have been accomplished by equally dynamic and special people that helped along the way.

From the absolute BOTTOM of my heart I want to say THANK YOU to a few people who helped get my pride and joy back together this weekend.

To Dave and Julee at DMC Midwest, this isn't the first time you guys have bent over backwards for me. I can't begin to say how wonderful of a business you both have. It is rivaled only by the type of people you both are. Thank you both so much for taking the time to get all the odd-ball parts I needed together for me - and for answering about a million phone calls from me! I'm sure it was a pain, but I am forever grateful for you both and what you do.

Last but not least, to Jake Kamphoefner and Marty Maier, an equally sized THANK YOU for your 14 consecutive hours of work on Saturday, tearing her down and building her back up. Not only that though, but not stopping to eat and also for diagnosing and fixing a billion other little things along the way. They also helped change my brakes at around midnight, so I could actually drive it once we were done. You both have been a tremendous help through not only this, but the mound of work that my last D was as well. I owe you both so much.

I can't begin to express my gratitude adequately for all of you people enough. You are all a tremendous asset to the DeLorean community and in my eyes, truest of friends. You can see your guys' passion for what you do by how continuously and vigorously you all jump at the opportunity to help those out who can't help themselves. Hat's off to all of you, and thank you for giving me my baby and my joy back. I forever walk in your shadows. I can also finally show people my new car now!

Kukem
07-21-2014, 11:13 AM
As a new owner this week also, I can only imagine how you must feel. My trip home was not that eventful. Glad to see it all got sorted out in the end. Congrats on getting it sorted out and back out on the road!

STAINLS
07-21-2014, 11:15 AM
As a new owner this week also, I can only imagine how you must feel. My trip home was not that eventful. Glad to see it all got sorted out in the end. Congrats on getting it sorted out and back out on the road!

Suckiest drive home ever. Our vins are pretty close too I see. Congrats on yours by the way!

SS Spoiler
07-21-2014, 11:27 AM
If you've never seen Marty's garage it's worth a trip.

STAINLS
07-21-2014, 11:31 AM
If you've never seen Marty's garage it's worth a trip.

It's amazing. I can only hope to have a shop half as cool one day.

DMC5180
07-21-2014, 11:51 AM
When does the Saturn get fixed? :biggrin:

STAINLS
07-21-2014, 11:59 AM
When does the Saturn get fixed? :biggrin:

We're supposed to be getting that back from the body shop either today or tomorrow. New fascia, new hood, new foam bumper pad, etc.

Somewhere there's a perfect yellow circle, from the fascia, laying on the ground by that stop sign. I need to go and find it.

zimvsdib
07-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Glad you got it all fixed up. Congrats.
I hope she made it up to you with something really sexually creative.

Tip, never let women drive your Deloreans.

STAINLS
07-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Glad you got it all fixed up. Congrats.
I hope she made it up to you with something really sexually creative.

Tip, never let women drive your Deloreans.

I think I'll cash in my "get out of jail free" card on an Eibach suspension kit!

DMCMW Julee
07-21-2014, 01:29 PM
You are very welcome Brandt! I am very glad that you have a car again!

By the way, I think of Marty and Jake as part of "my DeLorean family" so I'm glad to see that you've re-connected with them. :)

STAINLS
07-21-2014, 03:36 PM
You are very welcome Brandt! I am very glad that you have a car again!

By the way, I think of Marty and Jake as part of "my DeLorean family" so I'm glad to see that you've re-connected with them. :)

Thank you Julee. It's so good to be back and be able to hang out with everyone again. Coming home to a DeLorean out where we live is like being on vacation every day!

ramblinmike
07-22-2014, 12:50 AM
Wow! Playday at Marty's and I missed it - again!

:/

Glad the car is fixed.

Mike.

STAINLS
07-22-2014, 09:29 AM
Wow! Playday at Marty's and I missed it - again!

:/

Glad the car is fixed.

Mike.

Haha, sorry Mike! It was really a lot of work. Marty and I went to 3 different exhaust shops before we could get one to make "test pipe" components to replace the crumpled catalytic. I will say though, it was mildly humorous watching Jake and Marty come up with ways to straighten out the "U" bend in the stock muffler assembly. There is some true genius between those two. We really didn't stop once we got going except for when Marty burnt his fingers pretty good welding the old cat flange to the test pipe, which you can see in the pictures. It was more of a stress-fest than a play day. Wish you could've been there though man. It was pretty neat to see the rear end all torn apart!

wtbstuff
07-22-2014, 02:58 PM
It's been said before by others and I will say it again having Marty and Jake is a lot better then having some tools. They are amazing. We are very fortunate to have them in the community (and even more in the st. louis area !!!!).

alexwolf1216
07-22-2014, 03:07 PM
I want someone in the San Antonio area to hang out with :bigcry:

Why does everyone so awesome have to be so far away?