PDA

View Full Version : I finally drove a DMC-12

TheDon
07-21-2014, 01:00 PM
After owning a massive project car which I should have not parted out and sold(I hate myself for doing so), I finally drove a DMC-12. When I had 4875 I only sat in it and pretended to drive it which I did get trapped in it due to the car locking me inside of it and the torsion bars not being installed(I crawled out of the broken out rear glass)

But man was it a fun drive. I drove to church and back with my wife (I got married BTW) and shes hooked. I knew the PRV wasn't a performance engine but it works for the car and compared to my 04 Cooper S its a little slow.

All I know now is that I'm sort of on the hunt for a car. I've got our two daily drivers that are paid off and my third car which is a project car('78 Mercedes Benz 240D) that I am going to fix up and flip for a nice profit to add to the Delorean fund.

Hopefully I'll be back in a D by the end of the year and their prices make me cry myself to sleep.

Dangermouse
07-21-2014, 01:06 PM
You're kidding me! All those years and you never drove one??

Anyway, good job, and now it's really under your skins, and more importantly, your wife's. :tongue:

STAINLS
07-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Don't get discouraged on prices! Lurk on Craigslist and you'll find a good one for the right price. Found both of mine on there. I was shot down quite a few times but I ended up finding my dream D a couple weeks ago and now it's in my driveway. Searched for about a month, about a year off and on before that, before I found it. There's lots of douchebags with cars for sale that are waaaaaay overpriced and balk at any more down to earth offer. Saw one on c'list once that had rust holes in the frame and the guy wanted 30k. :eek7: Stay focused, and stay determined. You can do it! Living proof right here!

Congrats on the drive. It only makes things worse though!!

AugustneverEnds
07-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Excellent to hear you got to drive the almighty D! Your story reminds me of how I got interested in the DeLorean: my dad's friend had one in his barn that he didn't drive and wouldn't sell but he did let sit in and pretend to drive (I was 11) Finally got my wish when I was 25...

Here's to you getting your DeLorean in the very near future! :wave2:

Jonathan
07-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Awesome man! Love these kinds of stories. Everyone seems to have some story about their first experience or when they knew they had to have one.

Never let your dreams die.

(This isn't exactly the right brand, but you get the idea... :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sWPHKU1XZU

DMC-81
07-21-2014, 08:47 PM
Congrats on driving one! As you are looking for the next Delorean, I'd suggest you include the Delorean dealer in Bonita Springs FL, if you haven't already done so. After six months of researching and searching for my project car, I bought mine there. They offer cars in different levels of restoration.

Kukem
07-21-2014, 09:52 PM
I can say that after 5 years of actively searching and finding my car last week, never stop dreaming. After seeing my first car, it made things way worse for me. After getting to ride in one for the first time, that also made it worse. Good that your wife is on board! Makes things way easier!

vps3922
07-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Good that your wife is on board! Makes things way easier!

Totally agree!

TheDon
07-23-2014, 03:58 PM
I'm not buying from DMC-FL, I'm not made of money and I would rather buy a fixer upper but not as bad as 4875. I should have kept that car and swapped in a TDI engine.

I've for to get my '78 240D running so I can sell that or my '04 MINI cooper S to put towards a D. We just got married this year sooo dropping 20k like it's a wedding isn't exactly
Happening again