PDA

View Full Version : Engine Engine Cover Latch

Mickfly
07-22-2014, 01:49 AM
Is there a replacement for the engine cover latch? I have adjusted mine many times but now it won't even open. ( have not figured out how to get it open yet? ). Is there also a replacement for the trunk release, hate to have that brake because I have no idea how you would be able to get it open again? Thanks all.

sdg3205
07-22-2014, 02:09 AM
If you have an original lower engine cover latch, try and get it working. It's usually a delicate balance of:

- fore/aft fascia alignment
- engine cover bump stop height
- latch height in the closing panel
- stud/paint key looking thing height.

It takes a lot of finesse but they can be made to work.

Ensure the spring is still in place in the latch, lube it well, check the cable for play and eliminate it if need be.

NA style miata latches can be made to work but it's 10 times worse to get it functioning.

sdg3205
07-22-2014, 02:10 AM
Also, if you need to break into your engine bay, remove the rear left tail light and manually open the latch.

Mickfly
07-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Also, if you need to break into your engine bay, remove the rear left tail light and manually open the latch.

thank you.

DMCMW Dave
07-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Is there a replacement for the engine cover latch? I have adjusted mine many times but now it won't even open. ( have not figured out how to get it open yet? ). Is there also a replacement for the trunk release, hate to have that brake because I have no idea how you would be able to get it open again? Thanks all.

There are two versions of the engine cover latch. The early one is awful and will almost never work. The spring looks like it's out of an old ballpoint pen. The later one is marginally better. Neither are readily available if you happen to break one. The later version is a nice upgrade, but it's a parts-car part now.

As for the front trunk:
http://store.delorean.com/p-9577-inner-hood-cable.aspx

or

http://store.delorean.com/p-9576-cable-and-housing.aspx

Chris 16409
07-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Have anyone gotten the lower engine cover to "pop up" with the stainless grills? Since they are much heaver, the latch doesn't pop up. Can a sponger spring be added?

andy blackmon
07-23-2014, 08:36 PM
I have the stainless grills on my cover and have had no issue with it popping up. It works just like it always has, maybe I just got lucky.
Andy B 03513