PDA

View Full Version : Ok so not really Delorean related

spedlot
07-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Traveling to vancouver in 2 weeks. Different plugs for electrical than US? Have lots of kids electronics and I know there are a few Canadians on the group here that can answer.

Thanks

Sent from my time machine

DL4567
07-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Yes. Be sure you get igloo-ready converters.

Jonathan
07-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Traveling to vancouver in 2 weeks. Different plugs for electrical than US? Have lots of kids electronics and I know there are a few Canadians on the group here that can answer.

Thanks

No, the same. If it works in the US then it will work in Canada.

Make sure you bring lots of maple syrup and Caribou meat with you. We stopped using cash money here a few years ago and only do trades. A tank of gas in your car, for example, will run you about 3 pounds of Caribou meat. That's not too bad though. In the winter when all the roads are closed for the season because of the walls of ice and snow, it can get as high as 7 pounds of Caribou meat for half a tank of gas. For your snowmobile that is. Can't drive your car anywhere of course when the roads are all closed.

EDIT: Yea, what Derek said too. Make sure you go over your power cords thoroughly as if they are lying on the frozen ground of your igloo hotel room and then the solar equinox of the northern lights arrives unexpectedly, it can melt pretty quick and cause small electrical fires. They don't last very long though as most of the oxygen in the room will have already been used or dissipated in the near zero-Kelvin temperatures, and the fires will normally be contained to just the immediate rooms to your left and right. Only on your side of the hallway of course. Hotels don't fill rooms on both sides of the hall throughout the year because of the 24 hour light/dark phenomena we see. It's hard to sleep when the sun never goes down. One half of the rooms stay pretty dark. You know what I mean. Have a great trip.

DMCMW Dave
07-22-2014, 10:45 PM

Make sure you bring lots of maple syrup and Caribou meat with you. We stopped using cash money here a few years ago and only do trades. A tank of gas in your car, for example, will run you about 3 pounds of Caribou meat. That's not too bad though. In the winter when all the roads are closed for the season because of the walls of ice and snow, it can get as high as 7 pounds of Caribou meat for half a tank of gas. For your snowmobile that is. Can't drive your car anywhere of course when the roads are all closed.

Where is he supposed to find Caribou meat and maple syrup in the US?

spedlot
07-22-2014, 10:47 PM
Nice. Love it. I don't think the airlines or Disney cruise ship will allow caribou meat to be brought on board. We are going to be spending 3 days in Vancouver. I hear it's a wonderful city. So it looks like I have two responses. One says yes bring converter and one no. Mmmmm....

sdg3205
07-22-2014, 10:49 PM
We also just adopted the 24 hour clock, but some cities have not implemented the change. Prime Minister Poutine has not yet figured out where to draw the time change zones.

Jonathan
07-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Where is he supposed to find Caribou meat and maple syrup in the US?

They do exchanges right there at the airport, just after customs. Normally you can leave your first born child as a deposit for the Caribou meat until you return.

Nice. Love it. I don't think the airlines or Disney cruise ship will allow caribou meat to be brought on board. We are going to be spending 3 days in Vancouver. I hear it's a wonderful city. So it looks like I have two responses. One says yes bring converter and one no. Mmmmm....

No convertor necessary. No adapter either. Just plug and play here fella.

Jonathan
07-22-2014, 10:56 PM
We also just adopted the 24 hour clock, but some cities have not implemented the change. Prime Minister Poutine has not yet figured out where to draw the time change zones.

Shhhh... c'mon, Rick. That's supposed to be a secret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFgPX0hnNfA

spedlot
07-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Man I really asked a loaded question. Good responses though. There must be some sophistication there as there is clearly internet as you all are responding and not using a Tin can and a wire. Thanks

Josh
07-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Jonathan you made my day!

NightFlyer
07-22-2014, 11:07 PM
Prime Minister Poutine

:hysterical:

spedlot
07-22-2014, 11:20 PM
Ok that video was pretty funny. Thanks for the help guys. I will load up on the crappy maple syrup we get from costco and see how far I can get horse trading it in town.

Rich_NYS
07-22-2014, 11:32 PM

EDIT: Yea, what Derek said too. Make sure you go over your power cords thoroughly as if they are lying on the frozen ground of your igloo hotel room and then the solar equinox of the northern lights arrives unexpectedly, it can melt pretty quick and cause small electrical fires. They don't last very long though as most of the oxygen in the room will have already been used or dissipated in the near zero-Kelvin temperatures, and the fires will normally be contained to just the immediate rooms to your left and right. Only on your side of the hallway of course. Hotels don't fill rooms on both sides of the hall throughout the year because of the 24 hour light/dark phenomena we see. It's hard to sleep when the sun never goes down. One half of the rooms stay pretty dark. You know what I mean. Have a great trip.

Best post on the Internet today! :hysterical:

NightFlyer
07-22-2014, 11:51 PM
Shhhh... c'mon, Rick. That's supposed to be a secret.

And yet, these people are eligible to vote.... thus, maybe the world can understand how we end up with a bunch of idiots running our various levels of government....

spedlot
08-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Ok so another stupid vancouver question. Are the liquor stores closed on Sundays so you can't buy hard liquor? I know some states here in the us don't sell on Sunday. Thanks

mluder
08-07-2014, 01:33 PM

Prime Minister Poutine... :hysterical:

sdg3205
08-08-2014, 12:52 AM
Ok so another stupid vancouver question. Are the liquor stores closed on Sundays so you can't buy hard liquor?

We make moonshine out of maple syrup, pine trees and Don Cherry's suit jackets on Sunday.

In all honesty, yes you can buy liquor on Sundays in BC. There are private vendors open 7 days a week.

What are your plans up here?

spedlot
08-08-2014, 10:21 AM
We just got in last night and plan on going to grouse mountain today. We hear it pretty awesome. Any suggestions. We are here until Monday morning.

Josh
08-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Go people watching. Observe THE HIPSTERS in their natural habitat.

sdg3205
08-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Grouse is good. You can hike up or take the gondola. The capilano suspension bridge is on the way. It's over priced but pretty cool.

Stanley park is a great day. You can walk, hike or ride bikes along the sea wall. There is also an aquarium in the park.

If you want to get out of the city, go to whistler for a day. Lots of awesome ways to fill a day from checking out shops in the village to white water rafting and peak to peak gondola rides.

sdg3205
08-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Go people watching. Observe THE HIPSTERS in their natural habitat.

Oh my lord... The hipsters. FACEPALM!

vps3922
08-08-2014, 11:01 AM
We just got in last night and plan on going to grouse mountain today. We hear it pretty awesome. Any suggestions. We are here until Monday morning.

Yes, Grouse Mountain is a nice idea. Make sure you stop by the Grizzleys (Cooler and Grinder) and maybe check out the lumberjack and birds in motion show on the mountain. Right accross the parking lot is a pen with three wolves. They might not be out in the heat, though. You will pass by Capilano Bridge on the way to Grouse Mountain. It is very pricey though. There is a free hanging bridge in Lynn Valley, if you have a car. Check it out on the web.

Nice things to do on the weekend:
Outdoors (always the best with great weather):
1. walk around Stanley Park (or through it) - you can always stop at the little beaches or go into the forest if you like shade
2. enjoy the waters at the outdoor pool at Second Beach (you will pass this area shoudl you walk around Stanley Park at the seafront)
3. for food try Denman street on West End. They have some nice restaurants (depending on your diet).
4. walk around False Creek. You can walk up Davie Street from False Creek and there is the RoundHouse Community Center. It is an old train garage and there is a steam powered train in a showroom. Entrance is free but donations are welcome there. Same corner has a great FOod Truck called "The loving Hut Express". Awesome (metless) burgers! You won't taste the difference to a meat burger. But that's just me.
5. take the Seabus from Waterfront to North Vancouver Quay Market - very nice market with several restaurants. Nice area around there, too, and you have a great view of downtown Vancouver
6. if you have a car: drive up to Cypress Bowl Road, leading up to Cypress Mountain. There is a great lookout overlooking Stanley Park and Downtown.
7. Close to Science World is China Town, if you like to see that.
8. Going onto the other side of English bay (which is also a great spot and at the end of Denman street) you can go to Kitsilano Beach. Nice area there and has some great icecream shops.
9. If you like a nice sandy beach try Jericho beach in Kitsilano
10. If you like a futuristic building, often shown in local SciFi productions, go to Queen Elisabeth Park and have a look at the Bloedel Conservatory. It is a tropical forest under a glass roof with tropical birds in it.
11. Granville Island is a must. Located under Granville Bridge. It has a nice market and a ton of little shops. A big toy store and play area for kids and for daddy: The Granville Island Brewery! :yesss:
12. There will be VIVA Granville Block party downtown on Granville Street

Indoors:
1. Science World at False Creek - great adventure for kids

That should fill your day a bit. I would love to meet you but I am leaving for the beach (Ocean Shores, WA) this afternoon and will return on Monday evening. Maybe next time. Let me know when you will come back.

vps3922
08-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Grouse is good. You can hike up or take the gondola. The capilano suspension bridge is on the way. It's over priced but pretty cool.

Stanley park is a great day. You can walk, hike or ride bikes along the sea wall. There is also an aquarium in the park.

If you want to get out of the city, go to whistler for a day. Lots of awesome ways to fill a day from checking out shops in the village to white water rafting and peak to peak gondola rides.

Yep, Whistler is noce as well, but you have to drive one hour to get there. The drive is really nice and scenic! You will pass by the Ciprus Road I mentioned in my post to get to the lookout.

spedlot
08-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the awesome suggestions. I'm looking at some different things now in the hotel lobby. We are staying at the Hyatt downtown. No car so public transportation or cab ride. Granville island is on the to do list I think tomorrow. The brewery sounds good. The concierge said there is a nice Canadian pub just a few blocks from the hotel. Not too sure how "authentic" or " Canadian" it's going to be in tourist land here downtown. I heard dim sum is really good here in china town. Any suggestions? I like the false creek train yard. How far is false creek from downtown. When I travel I like to experience more " authentic" type foods. Any suggestions close to downtown?

Too bad your not around. Would love to meet a local d owner.

spedlot
08-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Whistler sounds nice but no car and cab ride is way too much.

sdg3205
08-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the awesome suggestions. I'm looking at some different things now in the hotel lobby. We are staying at the Hyatt downtown. No car so public transportation or cab ride. Granville island is on the to do list I think tomorrow. The brewery sounds good. The concierge said there is a nice Canadian pub just a few blocks from the hotel. Not too sure how "authentic" or " Canadian" it's going to be in tourist land here downtown. I heard dim sum is really good here in china town. Any suggestions? I like the false creek train yard. How far is false creek from downtown. When I travel I like to experience more " authentic" type foods. Any suggestions close to downtown?

I work in Gastown. That's something I should have mentioned - go to Gastown, it's my favourite part of vancouver with the exception of it's high hipster density!

There's really no authentic Canadian cuisine apart from the usual sea food most of the pacific is already familiar with.

False creek is actually part of downtown, it runs under the burrard and granville bridges.

The great thing about Vancouver is that it's all relatively walkable, with the exception of getting to stanley park or english bay, which would be a hike.

The only place to avoid is east hastings and cordova between abbott and columbia. Dont go there. You wont die, but you wont feel safe. I live(d) and work a few blocks from there and still avoid that stretch.

sdg3205
08-08-2014, 11:41 AM
If you look at a map, stanley park is about the same size as our downtown core. It's huge.

remember Burrard is you major north/south travel route and west georgia is your major east/west route.

vps3922
08-08-2014, 11:42 AM
I work in Gastown. That's something I should have mentioned - go to Gastown, it's my favourite part of vancouver with the exception of it's high hipster density!

There's really no authentic Canadian cuisine apart from the usual sea food most of the pacific is already familiar with.

False creek is actually part of downtown, it runs under the burrard and granville bridges.

The great thing about Vancouver is that it's all relatively walkable, with the exception of getting to stanley park or english bay, which would be a hike.

The only place to avoid is east hastings and cordova between abbott and columbia. Dont go there. You wont die, but you wont feel safe. I live(d) and work a few blocks from there and still avoid that stretch.

What he said! :thumbup:

vps3922
08-08-2014, 11:44 AM

I cannot recommend (because I never tested/tasted them, not because they are not good!) a restaurant in Chanatown, but I heard that they are good if you like the authenticity. You should also try their steam rolls! They are awesome!

spedlot
08-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Ok. Well check out false creek. And I looked on the map. The bad area looks a little far for me to walk so we won't go there. Thanks for the heads up. You guys are awesome.

spedlot
08-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Yes they are awesome and always looking for authentic. You should try them. Good eats.

Jonathan
08-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Glad you've arrived in the city!

I was going to chime in about the booze and then saw you already got that covered. It differs a bit from Ontario so nice that Dave cleared it up for you. Yay, you won't find too many of those religion based laws in Canada about not selling booze before noon or whatever. We'll make up for it in taxes though!!

On the subject of Canadian food, the whole country is a big melting pot more or less. The bigger the city, the more diverse it is. Vancouver is a good example, as would be Toronto or Montreal. I understand there is a high Asian population there so you might be right about the dim sum. Same can be said about the East end of Toronto.

Like you mentioned, about getting something local and authentic, I'd keep that in mind and seek out something in Chinatown, or a Little Italy equivalent or whatever. The food varies from coast to coast and considering you are on the coast, I would try something from the sea if you can. If you were out East, bye, I'd say get the lobster or mussels. Or potatoes from PEI. A Montreal smoked meat sandwich in Quebec and definitely the POUTINE!! (Yay, find a place to get poutine in BC, it'll be good anyway!). As you venture across the Prairies, it might be corn or grain themed and then a stop at a Beaver Tails shack by the time you're in Alberta or BC.

I'd say even something like meat and potatoes is somewhat Canadian because of the big mix. You should perhaps at least stop into a Tim Horton's somewhere and have a coffee or donut. It's uniquely Canadian in many ways. Oh, and if you're going to stop for lunch and you're faced with a chain, go get yourself a quarter chicken dinner with fries and sauce from Swiss Chalet! And definitely on the micro-brewery somewhere downtown. Try the beer and pace yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkiCU20741c

(And you can do a lot better than Blue Light, but you get the idea!!)

vps3922
08-08-2014, 01:40 PM
And if you want to blend in.... :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc-tVZq9a4Y

sdg3205
08-08-2014, 01:57 PM
If you like sushi, Shu Raku on granville is great.

Jonathan
08-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Haha, great video!! I totally forgot to mention the hockey fans... they're a riot!!

vps3922
08-08-2014, 02:26 PM
If you like sushi, Shu Raku on granville is great.

Oh, yeah. Sushi is very good in Vancouver and also very affordable!

spedlot
08-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Yeah not bad. Sushi for the 4 of us and beer was 110 bucks last night. Not too bad. Also no blue light. Reminds me of coors light. And man. This weather. It's hot. Whew. :-). And those bike lanes. Could have made it smaller for extra room for a Delorean. :-). Great video.

spedlot
08-08-2014, 02:49 PM
And went to Tim hortons for breakfast. Didn't get any maple syrup though

Victor
08-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Jonathan you made my day!

Me too !

Hilarious ! Thanks

Chive On man

spedlot
08-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Ok so had red truck beer at malones bar downtown. Pretty good. Not great. Now I'm drinking Granville brewing company cactus ale. And I did try the poutin. I only tried it because of the jokes on here. Not too bad. Unhealthy as hell but pretty good.

Thanks for the suggestion of the science world. That place was great. We went there today. Kids had a blast. Off to Stanley or Granville island tomorrow. Still up in the air as to which one. Great suggestions folks.