PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Front Shocks

alexwolf1216
07-24-2014, 01:19 PM
So I just scoured the forums and the net regarding my options for front shocks. I just ordered a set of NOS rears, primarily due to budget (I dont want to spend $900 on a set of shocks) but as everyone knows, front options are limited. My shop is going to install, but I want something thats as close to plug and play as possible.

I found these, which are listed as drop ship. IT looks like they are discontinued though, so maybe its an old page.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mon-5773st

What else out there is remotely affordable? Yes, I would like a full nice fancy set of Spaxx, but there has to be something out there for those of us on a slimming budget.

NightFlyer
07-24-2014, 02:01 PM
So I just scoured the forums and the net regarding my options for front shocks. I just ordered a set of NOS rears, primarily due to budget (I dont want to spend $900 on a set of shocks) but as everyone knows, front options are limited. My shop is going to install, but I want something thats as close to plug and play as possible.

I found these, which are listed as drop ship. IT looks like they are discontinued though, so maybe its an old page.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mon-5773st

What else out there is remotely affordable? Yes, I would like a full nice fancy set of Spaxx, but there has to be something out there for those of us on a slimming budget.

Those Monroes will work, as will the KYBs. Both are very affordable. If you can't find the Monroes available anywhere else, Hervey may have some NOS sets still available. As to whether or not either are any good - many say yes, some say no. Like I said, this is a very subjective issue and there is no broad consensus one way or the other.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-344069-GR2-SHOCK-75-91-FORD-E150-/310406308298

DMCMW Dave
07-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Those Monroes will work

For about a week.

Jonathan
07-24-2014, 02:06 PM
http://www.midstatedmc.com/parts.html

Get in touch with Marty about his shocks. I assume they are still available as they are listed on the site.

I have them on my car from the first season I owned it (2007-08) and have not had one issue since. Very much affordable too.

NightFlyer
07-24-2014, 02:13 PM
For about a week.

Dave McKeen seems to be happy with his :dunno:

He bought his a while ago though, and there may have been some production variances in them over time. I honestly don't know.

But I do fully trust Dave S's opinion on this.

Personally, I'd go with whatever he personally recommends.

alexwolf1216
07-24-2014, 02:14 PM
So I talked to Dave on the phone. Helpful, as usual, but didnt have a lot of recommendations for the fronts. Hence my post ;)

NightFlyer
07-24-2014, 02:19 PM
So I talked to Dave on the phone. Helpful, as usual, but didnt have a lot of recommendations for the fronts. Hence my post ;)

Well that sucks :mad1:

As there's nothing special about the front, pretty much anything that will fit will work. You could always try researching product catalogs on the net until you found something that you liked. You may just find something that turns out to be fantastic.

Or, you can go with the KYBs - they're cheap enough to take a chance on even if you end up not liking them or if they're short lived. Then you'll at least have something until you're able to find something better.

Best luck :)

DMCMW Dave
07-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Dave McKeen seems to be happy with his :dunno:

He bought his a while ago though, and there may have been some production variances in them over time. I honestly don't know.

Monroe used to be a quality product. Until they moved the factory a bit further south.

NightFlyer
07-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Monroe used to be a quality product. Until they moved the factory a bit further south.

Story of America, unfortunately.

Same happened with Optima batteries. Used to be great. Now it's just overpriced crap with a name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcPzktMe2Yc

Josh
07-24-2014, 03:11 PM

Mine seem fine so far. But the only thing I expect them to do is prevent the LCA from traveling out of its limits, lol. My next pair will be a quality set.

Elvis
07-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Why not use the SPAX ?

affordable and adjustable !

alexwolf1216
07-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Why not use the SPAX ?

affordable and adjustable !

I supposed affordable is relative. The prices I see are around $800/set, or $350 for the fronts. My rears were $75.....Unless I am missing something?

Delorean Industries
07-24-2014, 03:29 PM
We literally get raped importing spax shocks. Between the terrible exchange rate, crazy shipping costs and duty the entire thing is a wash. Plus the price somehow consistently increases which blows my mind. I only supply the shocks as a convenience to owners. All of our builds use these minus the high end cars with coil overs.

EDIT-

Our use of spax will be extremely limited here shortly. I am doing away with the stock set up completely and offering superior American made coil over configurations at a comparable price. A few of the many advantages include adjustable ride height on front and rear of vehicle and 9 different spring rates just to name a few. The biggest issue was a shock with valving that would meet our specifications. This didn't exist initially and we were fortunate enough to find a manufacture to work with us extensively.

alexwolf1216
07-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Are they really worth 10x the price?

Delorean Industries
07-24-2014, 03:38 PM
I will tell it to you straight quality wise. You get what you pay for. Many cheap options will fit but few are actually valved properly. If you are just trying to get down the road it is one thing. If you want the car to be right then that is a different solution requirement entirely.

NightFlyer
07-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Those coil overs do look nice :thumbup:

Bitsyncmaster
07-24-2014, 04:11 PM
I like the idea of the spring seating on the bottom of the shock but how do you get away with using so few coils on the spring?

Mark D
07-24-2014, 04:17 PM
That is nice looking setup.

...Makes sense to go to a coilover design especially now that you're making the LCA's from stainless and are no longer limited to making something work with the stock design.

Gets kinda spendy though to replace not only the shocks but also the LCA's. Hopefully that shock manufacturer is around for a long time, otherwise one could potentially be stuck having to revert back to stock LCA's if you could no longer get shocks to fit the custom LCA's.

Delorean Industries
07-24-2014, 05:07 PM
That is nice looking setup.

...Makes sense to go to a coilover design especially now that you're making the LCA's from stainless and are no longer limited to making something work with the stock design.

Gets kinda spendy though to replace not only the shocks but also the LCA's. Hopefully that shock manufacturer is around for a long time, otherwise one could potentially be stuck having to revert back to stock LCA's if you could no longer get shocks to fit the custom LCA's.

Stock LCA without the spring cup. If owners ever want to change to a standard shock they can and we will add the spring cup free of charge if we are installing the replacement shocks.

Rich
07-24-2014, 09:12 PM
I like the idea of the spring seating on the bottom of the shock but how do you get away with using so few coils on the spring?

Josh can speak for his product but I'll jump in with a guess. One can get the same spring rate with fewer coils and a shorter spring by winding the spring with thicker steel rod, right? That's before we get off into variable-rate springs.

Delorean Industries
07-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Josh can speak for his product but I'll jump in with a guess. One can get the same spring rate with fewer coils and a shorter spring by winding the spring with thicker steel rod, right? That's before we get off into variable-rate springs.

That is part of the equation. Other part is the working range that you plan to operate the spring within. A lot more to it than just throwing parts on a car. :)

alexwolf1216
07-25-2014, 08:43 AM
Well, I "sprung" for a set of DMC performance shocks. Hopefully I can get them in by next weekend. :thumbup2:

Mark D
07-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Stock LCA without the spring cup. If owners ever want to change to a standard shock they can and we will add the spring cup free of charge if we are installing the replacement shocks.

Damn, now that is good forward thinking.

Elvis
07-25-2014, 12:59 PM
I thought the SPAX were pretty cheap for a brand name. But OK, with shipping to the US
and exchange rate...

Seen this before ?

http://www.deloman-shop.de/zubehoer/product/view/31/212

This was designed for the race car and is also street legal in Germany.

a Delorean race car ? not heard/seen yet ?

check it out:

http://www.deloman.de/projektemenu/racingteam

Flash66
07-26-2014, 07:29 PM
This didn't exist initially and we were fortunate enough to find a manufacture to work with us extensively.

I just bought a set of lowering springs from Hervey and a set of KYB's that'll be going up for sale. Josh you're killing me lol! Brilliant as usual. Let me know the cost when it's available.

bdmiko
07-30-2014, 12:39 PM

Will these shocks work with the original stock LCA or are you referring to the DPI stainless "stock" LCA?

Delorean Industries
07-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Will these shocks work with the original stock LCA or are you referring to the DPI stainless "stock" LCA?

DPI arm is required.