PDA

View Full Version : Engine Engine misfire solved

82DMC12
07-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Hey all,

I hate it when people post a question but never the resolution, so here is my way of giving back!

16 months ago I moved from my hometown to Kansas City. Overland Park to be exact, and now I'm in Olathe, KS. Since moving here I rarely drove my D. I have probably filled the tank up once, maybe twice total. Definitely not in the last few months to a year.

We finally had a cool week of weather so I thought I'd drive my car to work. I got only a feet out the driveway before realizing the engine felt like it was misfiring. It was like the engine was purring/gently sputtering, with a distinct lack of power. It was throughout the whole RPM range, never smoothing out. This is very odd since my car has been thoroughly tuned and hasn't behaved like this in years.

I parked it and had time that weekend to troubleshoot. I pulled all the plugs and they were good. After speaking with Dave Swingle, I decided to drain the gas and refill with fresh gas. I did this by removing the fuel feed from the fuel distributor, running it under the engine on the driver's side into a bucket, and jumping the fuel pump until the pump ran dry. I then poured 3 gallons of fresh gas in, jumped the pump for a few seconds to flush, then reconnected the fuel line. I backed out the garage and after about 4 blocks the engine smoothed out and ran perfectly again.

Now a few days later, tonight, I took it out to verify the problem was not related to engine temp. From stone cold, it is now running great.

So.... be careful storing your car with gas in it. The fuel here is 10% ethanol and it doesn't seem to last long. I'm glad the fix was simple and the prevention is to simply drive my car more often!!

Andy

dmc6960
07-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Damn, I knew I was forgetting to do something...

Glad you got it solved! Better than a Styrofoam cup too.

DMC5180
07-26-2014, 01:04 PM
I can definitely see issues like that popping up after a 1 year of sitting. I've had NO issues Parking the car in the Fall and letting it sit 5 months. I just passed 20 yrs ownership too.

82DMC12
07-26-2014, 01:08 PM
Yeah normally if I store the car all winter I'll throw some Stabil in. This time, since winter is quite mild I figured I would skip that part.... Only I never ended up taking it out! Glad to know it was a simple fix.

SIMid
07-28-2014, 12:47 AM
Dam!

I have another car (Lancia Beta) that's been sitting at the Restorer for the past 3 years with the same fuel in the tank. This is going to be fun trying to get that running again!

Rich
07-28-2014, 09:58 PM
16 months ago I moved from my hometown to Kansas City.... Since moving here I rarely drove my D. I have probably filled the tank up once, maybe twice total. Definitely not in the last few months to a year. ....We finally had a cool week of weather so I thought I'd drive my car to work. I got only a feet out the driveway before realizing the engine felt like it was misfiring. It was like the engine was purring/gently sputtering, with a distinct lack of power....After speaking with Dave Swingle, I decided to drain the gas and refill with fresh gas.....the engine smoothed out and ran perfectly again.

So.... be careful storing your car with gas in it. The fuel here is 10% ethanol and it doesn't seem to last long. I'm glad the fix was simple and the prevention is to simply drive my car more often!! Andy

Thanks a lot for that story with a happy ending. I agree with your advice - driving the D a bit now and then is the way to go!

From what I hear nowadays we shouldn't trust a tank of fuel more than 4-5 months old.

A related bit of fuel-aging info: As some of you may know the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid can be run for weeks and even for many months in EV-only mode without calling on its range-extender gas engine to kick in as long as the battery is charged frequently enough between trips. But if the owner insists on being in max-EV mode long enough the car's software eventually kicks into Maintenance Mode, forcing a series of gas engine start-run episodes regardless of the battery charge level. It does this specifically to circulate and consume the aging gasoline before it causes trouble.

Bitsyncmaster
07-29-2014, 05:28 AM
A related bit of fuel-aging info: As some of you may know the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid can be run for weeks and even for many months in EV-only mode without calling on its range-extender gas engine to kick in as long as the battery is charged frequently enough between trips. But if the owner insists on being in max-EV mode long enough the car's software eventually kicks into Maintenance Mode, forcing a series of gas engine start-run episodes regardless of the battery charge level. It does this specifically to circulate and consume the aging gasoline before it causes trouble.

It's good they thought of that. It is also good to keep the engine running to keep the oil on the valves and cylinders. My standby generator on my home runs for 12 min. once a week and it runs on propane.