PDA

View Full Version : Tapatalk is seriously goddamn annoying.

ccurzio
08-13-2014, 01:40 PM
It's like an application where 50% of its functionality is spamming the universe to tell everyone it exists. Including the in-post signatures (which are still against the rules here FYI), this has got to be one of the most obnoxious applications ever made. Going to DMCTalk (or really any vBulletin forum) in a fresh browser results in this exact sequence:

HAY GUYS LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME
http://i.imgur.com/naRflyA.jpg
"Cancel."

NO SRSLY LOOK AT ME HAY HAY
http://i.imgur.com/hpR94H1.png
"Skip."

HAY IM STILL HERE LOOK AT ME AAAAAAHHHHH
http://i.imgur.com/0PiPFQz.jpg
"X"

The best part is, the "don't show this again" checkbox on the second screen doesn't work. It'll go away for a little while, but wait long enough and it'll be back. Oh, and images uploaded from the app will have the Tapatalk logo slapped onto it.

If you're a Tapatalk user, I encourage you to stop using it. Your phone is smart enough to use the full site.

Kenny_Z
08-13-2014, 01:50 PM
I wonder how many people download and use it just to make it shut up. It is a severely irritating and invasive program.

DL4567
08-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Agreed. I've been asked too many times. I want to see the forum as I see it on my computer, not some extremely simplified version. I also don't like mobile versions of sites in general.

ccurzio
08-13-2014, 02:29 PM
You'll appreciate this feature in iOS 8 as much as I do, Derek.

http://i.imgur.com/yfP3MzI.jpg

robvanderveer
08-13-2014, 03:45 PM
oh yes,very much so.

jmettee
08-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Having both an iPad mini & Android phone, I can say that I have seen it on Android, but once you hit ignore, you generally don't see it anymore & can work directly in the browser like the full site (at least using Chrome browser).

At home on the iPad, I see the TapaTalk crap all the time. Hate it.

Nicholas R
08-13-2014, 09:27 PM
What sucks is that I have tapatalk installed on my iPad, yet I still prefer to browse DMCTalk through the browser. I still get the message about tapatalk every time I come to the site. Even when I accidentally accept it still takes me to the App Store, instead of opening the app that is already installed. I have googled how to turn off that notification several times, but everything ive read says that the notification is somehow imbedded in the site itself, and not something I can adjust on my iPad. Is there any way we can look into this on the site? Not all forums I browse insist on reminding me about tapatalk; even ones that tapatalk supports don't always give the message.

Mark D
08-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Desktop mode for the win.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30032&d=1407982347

Dangermouse
08-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Chris, you misspelled "awesome".

TT is all I use on my old iphone4. It automatically chooses the correct font to make it readable, loads the photos and allows my to reply with one thumb.

If I access the full site I am constantly zooming in and out and trying to pick out a selected thread with varying success.

Maybe on a tablet, there is a better choice but for iPhones at least it's the way to go for me :)

Sure, you are limited in adding attachments etc, so it's not great for creating threads, but I just wait a few hours until I am at a PC.

Tillsy
08-13-2014, 10:53 PM
I posted about getting these bloody prompts every month or so in the feedback section but nobody commented so I figured I was the only one - glad to know it's not just me.

If anything, I will never try that product BECAUSE of how annoying it is.

Even if it didn't keep "reappearing", the fact that you get:
1. A dialog asking you if you want it
2. A page before you even get into the site asking if you want it
AND 3. A banner at the top advertising the app

Constitutes spam and stupidity, so even if the app is awesome they can stick it up their ass IMHO.

ccurzio
08-14-2014, 08:05 AM
TT is all I use on my old iphone4. It automatically chooses the correct font to make it readable, loads the photos and allows my to reply with one thumb.

If I access the full site I am constantly zooming in and out and trying to pick out a selected thread with varying success.

I still have my iPhone 4 and when I used it regularly I only ever browsed DMCTalk via Safari. I never had a problem, honestly. The retina display made everything nicely readable and everything including images loaded just as they did on a desktop. Even at full zoom-out, tapping thread links almost always brought me to the one I wanted. Sometimes I'd have to zoom, but the outward pinch gesture doesn't really make me sleepy. ;)

And yes, Tillsy's post reiterates what I originally posted which is why Tapatalk is NOT awesome but instead, a loud and annoying piece of crap.

jackb
08-14-2014, 09:21 AM
I'm with you, too. I hate the way it spams me all the time. Incredibly annoying.

robvanderveer
08-14-2014, 12:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwvlbJ0h35A

(and yes, I agree with the TT issue)

Dangermouse
08-14-2014, 03:38 PM
I guess because i use it, I don't get spammed.

It's like the mafia :)

Farrar
08-14-2014, 11:20 PM
My favorite bit (not favorite bit) is where Tapatalk reduces the resolution of, and adds a watermark to, every photo uploaded with the app.

I paid for it, but I deleted it anyway after that bullshit started.

Dangermouse
09-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Having planted my flag in the pro-TT hill earlier as I have a paid-for version, I am particularly pissed off to see this:

The first ads started appearing on another forum that I view through TT, but yesterday I saw my first one on DMCTalk. (to be clear, this is a TT ad, not a DMCTalk ad)

Only a matter of time before every other thread, on TT, is a sponsored ad

Bastards.

Go ahead, Chris, gloat away :banghead:

ccurzio
09-17-2014, 08:01 PM
I'm surprised the in-app ads aren't for Tapatalk itself. That would be amazing.

In any case, HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Notifier
09-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Having planted my flag in the pro-TT hill earlier as I have a paid-for version, I am particularly pissed off to see this:

The first ads started appearing on another forum that I view through TT, but yesterday I saw my first one on DMCTalk. (to be clear, this is a TT ad, not a DMCTalk ad)

Only a matter of time before every other thread, on TT, is a sponsored ad

Bastards.

Go ahead, Chris, gloat away :banghead:
I've been seeing this same SF ad, and I'm with you, paid for the app a long time ago. Maybe it's time to pull the plug on the app and just start using the browser. Probably the way I'll be going!

Dangermouse
09-18-2014, 10:06 PM
I'm expecting to get a refund check for my $1.99 any day now. ;)

Unfortunately on my tiny phone screen it is still the best option.