PDA

View Full Version : Stasi/Gestapo Like Admins Deleting Posts Here

NightFlyer
08-29-2014, 06:20 PM
Earlier today, at least two posts (one of which was mine) were deleted from the following thread without explanation by an unknown admin/mod:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9899-DPI-Delorean-Performance-Industries

Given that the thread involves a vendor, one cannot help but to wonder if there's collusion between the vendor at issue and those who own/operate this forum.

Of course, it's even more suspicious when one considers that there hasn't been any known post deletions by the admins/mods from the John Hervey / Special T Auto review thread here.

Anyway, I just wanted to make all members aware of such issue and see if us peons can't get a public response and explanation from the offending admin/mod regarding said posts. So, big man, whoever you are, here's your chance to provide everyone with the answers to these questions:

1) why were the posts at issue deleted; 2) what Talk rule did the posts violate; and 3) why weren't those who made the posts contacted about such deletion and provided with an explanation?

In the meantime, if you're sick of shit like this, then I encourage you all to join www.dmctoday.com, where you can rest assured that crap like this will NEVER happen so long as I have anything to do with that forum.

Good day to all :smile:

Dracula
08-29-2014, 06:33 PM
I was the author of the other post.

I merely mentioned that I had heard of other recent issues with the same vendor and agreed with the poster about the questions raised about their business practices and posted a 100% verifiable fact about the vendor boasting about defrauding another vendor.

Deleting my post is outright favoritism and a disservice to the DeLorean community.

NightFlyer
08-29-2014, 07:03 PM
I was the author of the other post.

I merely mentioned that I had heard of other recent issues with the same vendor and agreed with the poster about the questions raised about their business practices and posted a 100% verifiable fact about the vendor boasting about defrauding another vendor.

Deleting my post is outright favoritism and a disservice to the DeLorean community.

Your post was 100% valid and should NOT have been deleted.

My post asked a question - somewhat seriously and somewhat in jest (and denoted by an emoticon), as the vendor at issue had previously stated on another forum that he wouldn't sell to those who had Bill Robertson-esque modifications done to their cars, thus I thought that perhaps such might provide the OP with a legitimate answer to the concern/issue that he was raising about such vendor.

Again, 100% valid and should NOT have been deleted.

So, does the Talk admin/mod who's selectively limiting voices from being freely heard wish to explain themselves so that all members can see the given explanation???

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm personally getting sick of this forum's aversion to drama/controversy, and using such to justify closing threads, deleting posts, editing posts, etc.

News flash - sometimes there's drama and sometimes there's controversy. That's life, friends. You can either deal with it like freedom loving adults, or like the stasi/gestapo. The choice is yours, but IMHO, you're not going to build a very strong community when you try to control things as the stasi/gestapo did - sure, on the surface all may appear to be rainbows and butterflies, but what you always fail to see is the festering cancer of contempt which lies underneath and acts to tears communities such as this one apart.

Again, I strongly encourage all my friends here to register and participate over on www.dmctoday.com, as you won't ever have to worry about such situations over there, because we really do believe in a community of respect over there - respecting and treating each member as the adults they truly are.

Or, you can stay and subject yourselves to the whims of General Secretary Honecker.

DMCVegas
08-29-2014, 07:04 PM
So out of curiosity, what was the purpose of this:

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.php?498-They-run-a-tight-ship-over-on-that-other-forum&p=19183&viewfull=1#post19183

Honest question. What is this experiment that you're trying to conduct? Is it a joke/troll? Was the goal simply a set up to create an advertisement for DMCToday?

I'm just wondering.

Dracula
08-29-2014, 07:13 PM

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.php?498-They-run-a-tight-ship-over-on-that-other-forum&p=19183&viewfull=1#post19183

Honest question. What is this experiment that you're trying to conduct? Is it a joke/troll? Was the goal simply a set up to create an advertisement for DMCToday?

I'm just wondering.

If you had actually read the thread, you'd have seen that my experiment was to post about my new project car and see how people would respond. I also professed to being surprised at the positive reaction; hence why I was becoming more involved here again, but that has come to an end due to the favoritism and unwarranted deleting of posts.

NightFlyer
08-29-2014, 07:19 PM

I'm just wondering.

That was/is this:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10430-My-New-DeLorean-Restoration-Project-VIN-3676

Chad received a lot of negative reaction to his purchase and desired restoration of this car on the many DeLorean Facebook groups. The 'experiment' was simply starting a thread here and seeing what the reaction would be. As many of Chad's previous threads here were met with attack, including his 'for sale' thread of his previous DeLorean, he had reasonably thought that his restoration thread here might just meet the same fate as his postings to the various DeLorean FB groups did - with a negative reaction. Essentially, the experiment was to see if things (both the moderation and the attitudes of some members) were in fact getting better around here or not. Needless to say that Chad was pleasantly surprised when the reaction turned out to be quite positive and supportive.

So, now you know. Not quite what you were expecting, is it?

Maybe we're really not the 'chucklefucks' that you presume us to be after all.....

opethmike
08-29-2014, 07:21 PM

Nicholas R
08-29-2014, 07:30 PM
For what it's worth, I read dmctoday.com fairly regularly, but I rarely find a thread to comment in. It certainly seems like a very tight group of members with a lot of inside jokes, but I don't think it contains the same technical discussions that this forum has. That's the main reason I come here; to talk about the technical aspects of the DeLorean. Just my opinion and 2 cents :thumbup:.

NightFlyer
08-29-2014, 07:42 PM
For what it's worth, I read dmctoday.com fairly regularly, but I rarely find a thread to comment in. It certainly seems like a very tight group of members with a lot of inside jokes, but I don't think it contains the same technical discussions that this forum has. That's the main reason I come here; to talk about the technical aspects of the DeLorean. Just my opinion and 2 cents :thumbup:.

I know what you're saying and I think you'll find that's because most regular Today members rarely have inquiries for other members about troubleshooting a defect with their car, as most Today members are very proficient when it comes to wrenching on cars and are already familiar with the DeLorean specific systems/quirks.

That's not to say that we wouldn't welcome such discussion with open arms over on Today, as we're a very helping bunch - hell, Bill will practically tear his entire car apart just to post pics of a particular part for someone.

As a member of both forums once said of Today "there is some good information on this forum, but you must always read through a bunch of useless bullshit first."

http://dmctoday.com/showthread.php?875-Running-a-24V-Diesel-Alternator-On-Your-DeLorean-%28Lou-Did-Not-Create-This-Thread%29&p=17169&viewfull=1#post17169

I'm not gonna lie - we're definitely guilty of having some major bullshit over there at times - but you'll also notice that it's the bullshit that's largely responsible for making us such a tight-knit community.

And we do have a lot of good info too, and would love to welcome more participants. Today is whatever you want to make it, without limitation :)

Michael
08-29-2014, 07:45 PM
What some call bullshit, others call friendly banter. I guess it'sall depending on your outlook.

Jonathan
08-29-2014, 07:50 PM
In the meantime, if you're sick of shit like this, then I encourage you all to join www.dmctoday.com, where you can rest assured that crap like this will NEVER happen so long as I have anything to do with that forum.

Good day to all :smile:

Hey Josh, first thing I'll say is that when I met you and many others from both Today and Talk while at DCS in June, I thought pretty good things about pretty much the whole lot of guys there.

What I will say is that over the last seven years on the Talk forum, most of the people participating in the "shit like this" type stuff generally leave on their own and take that with them. Not saying there isn't some that sticks around or that everyone that is still here has shit that doesn't stink, but the baloney most all of us kept getting tired of has already mostly moved on.

It's not that Today is solely filled with the "shit like this", but I don't do much on that forum because I think the vibe is worse then here on average. Not everything on Talk is completely technical or relevant or stimulating in one way or the other about our cars, but the antagonizing stuff from some of the main offenders, has generally gravitated from Talk over to Today as time has gone on.

If it's more accepted to be of the thick skin variety on Today and the close knit group is only just messing with each other and it's all in fun, then great. But that's not really what is aimed for here on Talk. I can't speak for any moderators or admins, because I'm not one and I don't know any personally, but my take on the two forums is that this one tries to stay a little more PC or just even pleasant perhaps and Today is somewhat less sugar coated. Everyone can pick their favorite and spend time where they enjoy it. I tend to like it here more and it isn't because it's perfect, it's just I find that the type of shit that goes on here pretty quickly loses it's novelty and goes seeking attention elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents of course. I'll try my best to be friends with everyone in a PC kind of way until someone needs to hear that they're acting like an asshole all the time and that they need to go the f&%k away. :)

NightFlyer
08-29-2014, 08:30 PM
What some call bullshit, others call friendly banter. I guess it'sall depending on your outlook.

True dat Mr. PMM, sir! :thumbup:

Hey Josh, first thing I'll say is that when I met you and many others from both Today and Talk while at DCS in June, I thought pretty good things about pretty much the whole lot of guys there.

What I will say is that over the last seven years on the Talk forum, most of the people participating in the "shit like this" type stuff generally leave on their own and take that with them. Not saying there isn't some that sticks around or that everyone that is still here has shit that doesn't stink, but the baloney most all of us kept getting tired of has already mostly moved on.

It's not that Today is solely filled with the "shit like this", but I don't do much on that forum because I think the vibe is worse then here on average. Not everything on Talk is completely technical or relevant or stimulating in one way or the other about our cars, but the antagonizing stuff from some of the main offenders, has generally gravitated from Talk over to Today as time has gone on.

If it's more accepted to be of the thick skin variety on Today and the close knit group is only just messing with each other and it's all in fun, then great. But that's not really what is aimed for here on Talk. I can't speak for any moderators or admins, because I'm not one and I don't know any personally, but my take on the two forums is that this one tries to stay a little more PC or just even pleasant perhaps and Today is somewhat less sugar coated. Everyone can pick their favorite and spend time where they enjoy it. I tend to like it here more and it isn't because it's perfect, it's just I find that the type of shit that goes on here pretty quickly loses it's novelty and goes seeking attention elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents of course. I'll try my best to be friends with everyone in a PC kind of way until someone needs to hear that they're acting like an asshole all the time and that they need to go the f&%k away. :)

I hear ya, and that's completely cool. :thumbup:

But for the record, we're not talking about the same kind of bullshit here. When I talk about bullshit going on over on Today, I'm referring to interactions amongst the members, which as Micheal said, is really more friendly banter than anything else.

When I talk about bullshit going on here on Talk, I'm referring to admin/mod abuse of closing threads (which often times just acts to punish a completely innocent OP, as I've stated before), deleting posts, editing posts, etc. I understand if/when they're doing such things to compel compliance with the express rules of the forum, as that's justified when a member has clearly violated the rules (in technical merit and in spirit) of the forum, as they have posted rules here that we all both implicitly and expressly agree to comply with when we register our accounts and choose to participate here. I don't have any problem with that at all.

But when such is done for no good reason at all, without there having been a violation of an express rule, without explanation, and where doing so potentially wreaks of collusion with a vendor (and I'm not just talking about DPI here, but rather any vendor) - well, that's for you to decide if such is acceptable behavior to you. For me though, and especially so as both a past and current victim of zealous/targeted over-moderation here, I don't find it very cool at all....

DMCVegas
08-29-2014, 08:44 PM
As many of Chad's previous threads here were met with attack, including his 'for sale' thread of his previous DeLorean, he had reasonably thought that his restoration thread here might just meet the same fate as his postings to the various DeLorean FB groups did - with a negative reaction. Essentially, the experiment was to see if things (both the moderation and the attitudes of some members) were in fact getting better around here or not. Needless to say that Chad was pleasantly surprised when the reaction turned out to be quite positive and supportive.

So, now you know. Not quite what you were expecting, is it?

No, not quite what I expected. However, I am glad that the topic of Chad's for sale thread is being brought up. That is something that needs to be talked about.

Chad took a lot of shit from people over that. Both here within a hosted thread, as well as with his auction where joke questions were posted to him on eBay. I too took part in that thread with what I thought at the time was a bit of good-natured ribbing. But it was not. It became a mob that joined in and had a pack mentality to do nothing other than attack Chad. What I did was wrong, in fact, I did two wrong things. First of was that I participated in a group-attack on Chad. The second was that I did not instead interject and stick up for Chad to be left alone. It was absolutely wrong for Chad to go through that whole deluge of crap, and I was a hypocrite for doing so. Even worse what that Chad had an auction that he paid money for, and was being harassed there. That I didn't have anything to do with, but still, I should have spoken out against it at the time. He had money on the line, and it was being toyed with.

Now, it doesn't matter what happens in other events or interactions. This was something separate that did not directly affect anyone or the community. Save for perhaps the way in which we all acted and represented ourselves and the community.

So Chad, I am genuinely sorry. I wish to extend my apologies to you for what I did.

Maybe we're really not the 'chucklefucks' that you presume us to be after all.....

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/5521459968/hFA3EC6C8/

Turning a discussion into an advertisement for another message board? What should I presume from that?

Michael
08-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Turning a discussion into an advertisement for another message board? What should I presume from that?

Whatever it is I'm sure there is a 5 paragraph summary in store for us.

NightFlyer
08-29-2014, 09:30 PM
Whatever it is I'm sure there is a 5 paragraph summary in store for us.

Now that's what I call lighthearted ribbing :biggrin:

NightFlyer
08-29-2014, 09:35 PM
So Chad, I am genuinely sorry.

That's very big of you - good for you :aniclap:

Whatever you wish to, of course - I'm certainly not going to change your mind (knowing how you already feel about me).

I'm merely offering an alternative venue for those who perceive what happened on this forum earlier today as being fundamentally wrong - nothing more, and nothing less.

Dracula
08-29-2014, 09:47 PM
No, not quite what I expected. However, I am glad that the topic of Chad's for sale thread is being brought up. That is something that needs to be talked about.

Chad took a lot of shit from people over that. Both here within a hosted thread, as well as with his auction where joke questions were posted to him on eBay. I too took part in that thread with what I thought at the time was a bit of good-natured ribbing. But it was not. It became a mob that joined in and had a pack mentality to do nothing other than attack Chad. What I did was wrong, in fact, I did two wrong things. First of was that I participated in a group-attack on Chad. The second was that I did not instead interject and stick up for Chad to be left alone. It was absolutely wrong for Chad to go through that whole deluge of crap, and I was a hypocrite for doing so. Even worse what that Chad had an auction that he paid money for, and was being harassed there. That I didn't have anything to do with, but still, I should have spoken out against it at the time. He had money on the line, and it was being toyed with.

Now, it doesn't matter what happens in other events or interactions. This was something separate that did not directly affect anyone or the community. Save for perhaps the way in which we all acted and represented ourselves and the community.

So Chad, I am genuinely sorry. I wish to extend my apologies to you for what I did.

I greatly appreciate that. I have taken a lot of flak in my years as a DeLorean owner and have made a few enemies. I'm not claiming to be blameless in it, either.

Though, I would like to clear up a few misconceptions that have plagued me:

I don't hate BTTF. I personally think that it's a dated film that's becoming less relevant every year, but I don't think it's a bad movie. To me, it's not the childhood-defining epic that some see it as.

I do believe that there are too many BTTF cars out there. While everyone has the right to do whatever they want to their property, I have as much of a right to dislike it. It's been acceptable to call Curtis's car an exercise in bad taste, but there's as much pride in that car as there is in any time machine. The difference is, time machines are a copy of something that already existed and his car is his own passion. It's hypocrisy to be able to criticize one and not the other, yet it happens time after time. That has bothered me and, for the record, I've only ever criticized videobob's cars; in particular, his "most accurate replica ever built" because that was an open invitation and he has demonstrated that accuracy and respect for the cars are not his focus.

I do hold a personal grudge against Josh at DPI, but that is because he insulted my service in the Army, the injuries I sustained, and every single injured service member. The money I can get over, but that is unforgivable. As a result, anything I say about him I verify to be 100% fact.

Rich_NYS
08-29-2014, 09:48 PM

I'm half-oblivious to the situation, but that's straight-up integrity right there.....much respect to you for that.

David T
08-29-2014, 09:52 PM
If you do not like the format of this forum (being moderated) I hear there are other places you can go. Obviously you like it here or you wouldn't be here. It only takes 1 or 2 individuals to ruin it for everyone and require the forum be moderated. I am not saying you are the reason but in the past others created the need for moderators. I belong to a lot of other forums, many are automotive and most are not moderated. Not every post I put up makes it either. Get over it. Now the controversy is not the post itself but the moderator!

Rich_NYS
08-29-2014, 10:02 PM
That's not to say that we wouldn't welcome such discussion with open arms over on Today, as we're a very helping bunch - hell, Bill will practically tear his entire car apart just to post pics of a particular part for someone.

+1: Bill led the charge (pun) to get my A/C working. Also, he was clearly ready/willing/able to help anyone in sight (and came prepared for it -lol!)

Well said, Jonathan....I like the way you think mister!

I like both forums because they're different; sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.

NightFlyer
08-29-2014, 10:08 PM
If you do not like the format of this forum (being moderated) I hear there are other places you can go. Obviously you like it here or you wouldn't be here. It only takes 1 or 2 individuals to ruin it for everyone and require the forum be moderated. I am not saying you are the reason but in the past others created the need for moderators. I belong to a lot of other forums, many are automotive and most are not moderated. Not every post I put up makes it either. Get over it. Now the controversy is not the post itself but the moderator!

Actually, there are more serious implications with what happened here today - like forum collusion with a particular vendor.

If the forum wants to pull for certain vendors, that's fine - it's their forum and they have every right to do so. But then they should publicly disclose it so that all members know exactly where those who own/operate the forum stand, instead of censoring the posts of members in furtherance of such a goal, as that's just really shitty no matter how you choose to look at it.

NightFlyer
08-29-2014, 10:20 PM
BTW - Just so we're all clear on this, the collusion charge is one that I make against the admins/mods/owners/operators of this forum, and not DPI/Josh, as he made it clear that he doesn't want any kind of official association with any forum, thus what happened earlier was clearly an initiative of someone who holds some power within this forum.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9899-DPI-Delorean-Performance-Industries&p=155112&viewfull=1#post155112

I can't help but to wonder if Tamir approves of this kind of behavior?

Dracula
08-29-2014, 10:33 PM
I can't help but to wonder if Tamir approves of this kind of behavior?

By appointing moderators, after cleaning house recently, that allow such behavior and remaining complacent, one could argue silent consent.

NightFlyer
08-29-2014, 10:51 PM
By appointing moderators, after cleaning house recently, that allow such behavior and remaining complacent, one could argue silent consent.

That's true.

Such a shame really, as they were doing significantly better up until this - but this is something that absolutely warrants an explanation, and yet they've been silent in providing such. Meanwhile, they recently closed how many threads with an explanation because of their conflict with Prof Hinkley??? Ass backward focus/priorities if you ask me....

Dracula
08-29-2014, 11:05 PM
For all of the faults with DMCToday; and it's not without faults, our moderators will not delete 99.9999999999999% of the posts. You have to try to get posts deleted there.

After all, if discussing the actions of SELECT DeLorean vendors is unacceptable, then that defeats the purpose of a website that purports to be a DeLorean forum.

NightFlyer
08-29-2014, 11:35 PM
For all of the faults with DMCToday; and it's not without faults, our moderators will not delete 99.9999999999999% of the posts. You have to try to get posts deleted there.

After all, if discussing the actions of SELECT DeLorean vendors is unacceptable, then that defeats the purpose of a website that purports to be a DeLorean forum.

Yes, we did have a few instances where porn had to be deleted, but the offending parties were never disciplined (with the sole exception of thirdmanj aka Peter Weller)

opethmike
08-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Oh BS, it took my friend very little effort to get outright banned.

Dracula
08-30-2014, 11:31 AM

If you deliberately try to get banned, of course it's easy.

NightFlyer
08-30-2014, 11:35 AM

I have not banned anyone.

I just checked our ban list, and of the 2 dozen or so accounts that have been perma-banned from the forum, the reason given is either spam or spambot.

If you honestly believe that your friend was misidentified as a spammer or spambot, PM me their username and I'll look into the matter further for you.

NightFlyer
08-30-2014, 11:37 AM
If you deliberately try to get banned, of course it's easy.

Derp - I remember that account now. Weren't they posting a bunch of irrelevant stuff all over the forum, thus fitting the classic definition of spam?

Dracula
08-30-2014, 11:39 AM
I have not banned anyone.

I just checked our ban list, and of the 2 dozen or so accounts that have been perma-banned from the forum, the reason given is either spam or spambot.

If you honestly believe that your friend was misidentified as a spammer or spambot, PM me their username and I'll look into the matter further for you.

He could be referring to when thirdmanj was TEMPORARILY banned for posting porn.

NightFlyer
08-30-2014, 11:44 AM
An admin/mod from this forum has still not come forward and offered an explanation of this situation.

Given that the admin/mod had no problems in accessing the forum to delete posts almost immediately, but then are noticeably absent in the aftermath, I have no choice but to conclude that this forum is in fact colluding with DPI in secret, which I personally find to be reprehensible.

AdmiralSenn
08-30-2014, 11:58 AM
I just posted my final response in that thread. Mostly I am posting here to make a reference in case it does get deleted.

NightFlyer
08-30-2014, 12:09 PM
Well, I really wanted to believe that Talk was changing for the better - and I gave them plenty of chances to prove themselves.

But the shear audacity of this recent stunt has finally made me realize that things have not really changed here, and in fact are probably far worse than most members even realize.

DMCTalk.org secretly colludes with vendors of their choosing.

In this case, it was with DPI.

While this forum is free to collude with whomever they wish, they should at least respect their membership enough to do so publicly, instead of keeping such collusion secret. What they did in removing legitimate comments/criticisms from a vendor review thread goes against the fundamental elements of community - or at least against any community that I want to participate in.

While many may see this as no big deal, or as over-reaction from me, I respectfully disagree, as it's not fair to the other vendors (and especially DMCMW, as Dave is EXTREMELY helpful on this forum) or the forum membership. This is something that went WAY over the line, and is probably the WORST thing that this forum has ever done.

Have you guys no shame?

Thus, unless/until the admin/mod responsible fesses up and offers an explanation for what they've done, I've decided to stop participating here. I'll log in to check any PMs that I may receive, but that will be the extent of my future dealings with this forum.

The membership deserves better than this - they deserve www.dmctoday.com and I encourage all of my friends from here to join me over there :)

Remember, you can be a member of both forums.

Dracula
08-30-2014, 12:10 PM
An admin/mod from this forum has still not come forward and offered an explanation of this situation.

Given that the admin/mod had no problems in accessing the forum to delete posts almost immediately, but then are noticeably absent in the aftermath, I have no choice but to conclude that this forum is in fact colluding with DPI in secret, which I personally find to be reprehensible.

If the forum wants to collude with DPI, at least have the courtesy to make such publicly known to the members, as this is no way to treat your membership.

I think I'm going to stop using this forum in the near future, thus if anyone is looking for me, they can find me over at www.dmctoday.com.

Unless/until the admin/mod who did this fesses up and offers an explanation, or goes public with their collusion with DPI, that's how I feel about this situation.

Good day, DMCTalk.org.

I've seen evidence of this before; the time when they deleted the thread I made in which I posted public domain court documents proving that DPI had been sued for charging a customer for work that was never performed.

They deleted that thread in under an hour, but at least they gave me a reason; and I quote:

Chad,

We are not going to get into a pissing match about what happened between Darryl and DPI. If Darryl wanted that info posted, he should have done it himself. Also, we are not going to allow you to post a blanket statement saying to not go to a vendor because they use unethical business practices, when there is review after review of work performed by his shop that states the obvious.

The thread title was altered and the thread deleted. If darryl wishes to tell his story, then that's his prerogative, permission or not. As you can see by your replies, because of your history with DPI, the opinionated statements you have made are not the same as if he tells his story himself, if he chooses to.

It's noteworthy how two reasons that are cited are that I posted it and that there are multiple positive reviews that disagree...

While that individual is no longer a moderator, it proves that there has been a history of favoritism towards select vendors.

NightFlyer
08-30-2014, 12:27 PM
I've seen evidence of this before; the time when they deleted the thread I made in which I posted public domain court documents proving that DPI had been sued for charging a customer for work that was never performed.

They deleted that thread in under an hour, but at least they gave me a reason; and I quote:

It's noteworthy how two reasons that are cited are that I posted it and that there are multiple positive reviews that disagree...

While that individual is no longer a moderator, it proves that there has been a history of favoritism towards select vendors.

You're 100% correct.

The admin/mod who did this is a CHICKENSHIT that they now won't fess up to their acts and offer an explanation.

DMCTalk.org secretly colludes with vendors of their choosing.

In this case, it was with DPI.

I really think that Tamir should personally and publicly respond to this, but that's just me.

Anyway, I'm out of here....

David T
08-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Because the forum consists of human beings and is also moderated by human beings a certain amount of bias has to be assumed. Nothing is perfect. If this forum doesn't suit your taste you are free to leave. Name calling is no answer and I wouldn't expect the moderators to go down to your level just because you are now trying to bait them by insulting them. Kind of like the way Marty would get into fights by being called "Chicken". In fact, it surprises me they are even allowing this thread to continue! Time for the adults to give the kids a "time out".

NightFlyer
08-30-2014, 01:48 PM
Because the forum consists of human beings and is also moderated by human beings a certain amount of bias has to be assumed. Nothing is perfect. If this forum doesn't suit your taste you are free to leave. Name calling is no answer and I wouldn't expect the moderators to go down to your level just because you are now trying to bait them by insulting them. Kind of like the way Marty would get into fights by being called "Chicken". In fact, it surprises me they are even allowing this thread to continue! Time for the adults to give the kids a "time out".

That's odd, because I'm able to remain 100% objective, thus to be able to do so must be a human trait, as last I checked, I am a human being (or at least, that's what medical doctors have told me) :wink:

Thus, I have to respectfully disagree with you about assuming "a certain amount of bias." While your standards of performance may be low, not everyone's are.

And where did I call anyone any names, other than to assert that the admin/mod who's unwilling to explain themselves is a 'chickenshit,' which was meant more as an observational assessment about an act (or lack thereof) than as a personally derogatory/insultive slam - context is always important.

And who's forcing you to click on this thread and read and respond to anything I post anyway? Is someone holding a gun to your head, as if they are, I suggest that instead of posting on the forum, you may want to be figuring out a way to contact the appropriate law enforcement authorities to assist you in your dilemma.

Have a great day! :thumbup2:

Dracula
08-30-2014, 02:00 PM

There's a difference between remaining objective and outright favoritism. While I adamantly hate Josh at DPI, I never attack his products or call them inferior. I've even freely admitted that he makes some of the finest replacement parts out there. As a moderator at DMCToday, I have never edited or deleted any of his posts, nor have I ever accused him of anything that is not 100% verified or stated an opinion without claiming it to be such. When I'm wrong, I'll admit it and when any action is taken, we make it known. To-date, I have only deleted one post and that was a direct link to a porn video posted by Bill Robertson.

If I can act with restraint and allow things that I dislike or disagree with, why can't the moderators on this site?

NightFlyer
08-30-2014, 02:08 PM
To-date, I have only deleted one post and that was a direct link to a porn video posted by Bill Robertson.

Just so no one thinks that Bill was randomly posting porn to Today, it was a direct link to Back Side To The Future, after Bill expressed an interest in doing a BSTTF conversion to his car for presentation at DCS '14 in Dayton. Thus, it wasn't random porn, but rather relevant and pertinent porn. Bill's link was appropriately replace with a link to the porn without the porn version of BSTTF found on YouTube.

Dracula
08-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Just so no one thinks that Bill was randomly posting porn to Today, it was a direct link to Back Side To The Future, after Bill expressed an interest in doing a BSTTF conversion to his car for presentation at DCS '14 in Dayton. Thus, it wasn't random porn, but rather relevant and pertinent porn. Bill's link was appropriately replace with a link to the porn without the porn version of BSTTF found on YouTube.

This is true. I should have clarified that, while relevant to the discussion, it was, in fact, porn, and was dealt with in the proper manner. To my knowledge, Bill has never expressed any ill-will towards this action and was promptly informed as to why his post was deleted.

If you're doing your job as an admin, the extent of your extra work should be splitting threads, orienting images, and occasionally creating subsections when relevant. There's no excuse to don the jack-boots and swastika arm band to monitor a group of adults.

Tamir A.
08-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Ok boys and girls. Lots of drama on here lately for a whole lot of nothing. I just reviewed the two posts that were deleted from the thread referenced. One post was totally benign and was a one liner joke about Bill Robertson. The other was a clear hearsay and slandering of DPI and didn't add to the already ongoing discussion of that thread.

Let's just all take a step back and take a deep breath. For the most part very few posts are deleted on this forum, and as you can see the thread wasn't deleted. There is no collusion with any vendors on this forum, trust me. I've been involved in this community for a very long time and have the utmost respect for the time and money vendors put into working on our cars, etc. Do some of them make mistakes or get involved in scenarios with owners that piss of the owners? Of course, we are all human and that is bound to occur. I like to think those types of disputes are best suited for private discussions between the owner and the vendor. But occasionally it spills into the public forums and it has to be treated with a sense of caution.

I leave a lot of responsibility to maintaining the peace to my moderators on the forum, but I can't help but be surprised at the growing level of antagonism and pissed off posts over the last few years. It's disappointing to say the least, and I hope that it levels out one day. I believe the crux of the forum conversations should be directed around technical help, DeLorean related activities, historical elements, etc. If we can stick to these things without users snarking at each other all would be good. Let's try and keep it civil people.

T.