PDA

View Full Version : General Man what did I buy!

Slammer
08-31-2014, 10:31 AM
Hi.
I think I must have purchased the worst delorean available. Vin 06201
It is a restauration object with lots of missing parts.
cracked windshield,
damaged rh frontfender,lh not good either
terrible interior, no binnacle, headliners and other missing parts, no glass in lh door
engine missing flywheel, no exhaust/heatshield/brackets, rear bumper, aircleaner assy, control press reg.
no lights up front,spoiler no radator/fans/cowling, horns
No fuelpump,but 50 liter water in the tank
Key don't work in the ignition
Fiberglass damage, and rust.
All of this can be fixed with time, exept the rust. I'm capable of welding, but knowing this is going to be a expensive project
I don't think I should because it will never be the same as a good rustfree frame. Having spent to much allready I can not give up the project
so I need another frame.
Any tips leading to a frame is much appreciated.
Will try to get some pics up later.
Slammer

Lou and "Boo"
08-31-2014, 10:44 AM
How much did you buy it for?
Did you not know its condition before purchasing?

Dangermouse
08-31-2014, 10:58 AM
For some inspiration, check out Alexakos resto thread in Members Cars. His started out worse than he expected, but is going to be A+.

Domi
08-31-2014, 11:20 AM
So, good luck on your restoration :)
Where did you find your car?

Slammer
08-31-2014, 11:37 AM
How much did you buy it for?
Did you not know its condition before purchasing?

I payed equivalent to $16k but remember everything is expensive in Norway.
I did not know it was so bad as it turned out to be no.
But just myself to blame for that.

DMC5180
08-31-2014, 11:45 AM
Hi.
I think I must have purchased the worst delorean available. Vin 06201
It is a restauration object with lots of missing parts.
cracked windshield,
damaged rh frontfender,lh not good either
terrible interior, no binnacle, headliners and other missing parts, no glass in lh door
engine missing flywheel, no exhaust/heatshield/brackets, rear bumper, aircleaner assy, control press reg.
no lights up front,spoiler no radator/fans/cowling, horns
No fuelpump,but 50 liter water in the tank
Key don't work in the ignition
Fiberglass damage, and rust.
All of this can be fixed with time, exept the rust. I'm capable of welding, but knowing this is going to be a expensive project
I don't think I should because it will never be the same as a good rustfree frame. Having spent to much allready I can not give up the project
so I need another frame.
Any tips leading to a frame is much appreciated.
Will try to get some pics up later.
Slammer

Sounds more like you bought a parts car that had been partially parted out given all the missing items. Was this a private sale locally or Import? Ebay or private listing. If it came from the US which State? I Know of at least one guy out there Flipping cars to Europe that in some instances are real basket cases.

ALEXAKOS
08-31-2014, 11:57 AM
For some inspiration, check out Alexakos resto thread in Members Cars. His started out worse than he expected, but is going to be A+.

Damn! This compliment almost brought years to my eyes!!!
Thank you mouse!

But honestly, yes if you have the time / patience / luck, you may be the owner of a top notch Delo in about 24 months max....

Or just ship it to Greece and I'll trade it for mine:)

Any photos of that purchase?

Slammer
08-31-2014, 12:27 PM
This car was already imported to Norway so I don't know were it came from.

ALEXAKOS
08-31-2014, 12:28 PM
Btw slammer! There are LOADS of good used parts showing up in here from time to time!

In fact eBay has a very good front fender at a good rate.
For other parts contact member eagle-co99

Domi
08-31-2014, 12:29 PM
Did you buy it from Stian?

ALEXAKOS
08-31-2014, 12:31 PM
Yeah, frame is trash!!! :( sorry
The rest is doable and the engine looks fine.
Hope you didn't pay more than 5k on it.

Slammer
08-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Btw slammer! There are LOADS of good used parts showing up in here from time to time!

In fact eBay has a very good front fender at a good rate.

I'm the highest bidder as we speak :thumbup2:

ALEXAKOS
08-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Oh.., eBay??? Great!
I see you are an eagle eye! You will do fine but find a frame.

Talk to Ed in holland if he has a better used frame for you. Windshield is 370 euros. Not to bad.
eBay Also has a front grille on sale as well as headlight brackets.

Domi
08-31-2014, 12:34 PM
He said he paid around $16000 for the car.
In my opinion, it is a bit expensive.
You'll pay more if you want to get it back on the road!
These past few days, they were a few bargain in pretty good shape on craiglist.

ALEXAKOS
08-31-2014, 12:37 PM
16k????
Slammer paid 16 k!???
Oh my:(

Dangermouse
08-31-2014, 12:37 PM
Has he actually paid $16k or is he just the current high bidder at $16k? Big difference.

ALEXAKOS
08-31-2014, 12:41 PM
Has he actually paid $16k or is he just the current high bidder at $16k? Big difference.

Slammer already owns the d.
He is currently the highest bidder of a fender on eBay

Dangermouse
08-31-2014, 12:48 PM
Gotcha

Slammer
08-31-2014, 12:48 PM
ALEXAKOS got it right.
I have been in contact With Ed in Holland, no frame.

ALEXAKOS
08-31-2014, 12:51 PM
ALEXAKOS got it right.
I have been in contact With Ed in Holland, no frame.

Your best bet then is buy a good framed parts Delo from the states at 4 to 8k. It will best your value for money resto solution.
Ask the guy on eBay who sells all those parts of he has the frame;)

Domi
08-31-2014, 12:52 PM
A frame was for sale recently on eBay, but i don't know if its still available at this time.
A stainless frame will be nice.

ALEXAKOS
08-31-2014, 12:59 PM
A frame was for sale recently on eBay, but i don't know if its still available at this time.
A stainless frame will be nice.

Not very confident on those stainless frames. A nice Delo gig but it's not as durable as steel. After all, the original one lasted for 30 years on them.

Slammer
08-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Something will show up, the shipping will be the biggest problem I think.

ALEXAKOS
08-31-2014, 01:09 PM
Something will show up, the shipping will be the biggest problem I think.

Nah shipping is easy... Paying for it sucks;)

Jonathan
08-31-2014, 01:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your disappointing car delivery.

$16,000 is an expensive lesson. Not the end of the world, but expensive and not one you'll forget very soon.

May I ask if you had seen these photos you posted here at the time you were planning on buying it? If so, what were your expectations? Those photos don't leave much to the imagination if you had seen them and wondered what condition the car was in. If you hadn't seen photos and thought you were getting something very different, to me this seems like something you might consider looking into legally as that car doesn't fit too many DeLorean descriptions except parts car or non-running large project. If you bought it from an advertisement with comments about it running, or in great shape, or clean or whatever, I'd say you need to speak to a lawyer for assistance. That's what I would do if I was in your shoes.

Best of luck. Keep asking your questions here as you have them as the guys here will be honest, even if the news is hard for you to hear. Don't feel bad if this didn't work for you as throwing good money after bad is worse if you continue hoping to right a wrong. From what I see in the market, you could put that entire purchase off to the side, buy a running car elsewhere, import it to Norway and still come out ahead then potentially restoring that vehicle. I can understand your import costs can be high, but fixing a project car that far gone with that many things missing can be very costly and disheartening. Don't feel ashamed if a mistake was made, just learn from it and move on.

David T
08-31-2014, 01:42 PM
Actually if you can weld, the frame is the least of your problems. Pieces of 16 gauges mild steel should be available locally. With patience, a hammer, snips, grinder and a welder all it takes is time. Getting the missing parts can be a long, costly process. One way to approach this is to make a list of the missing and damaged parts, put an estimate of what it will cost to acquire them, and then decide if this is a project or a parts car.

ALEXAKOS
08-31-2014, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=David T;155334]Actually if you can weld, the frame is the least of your problems. /QUOTE]
David, have you seen the images?
Unfortunately this frame is through at joints and places that welding can not save it.
And as soon as Geir gets it out of that body he will realize that it's worse that it seemed.

I had minor welding issues and it took me so much time and effort that I was close to consider a frame exchange.

Alegria
08-31-2014, 02:57 PM
Man... Looks really like a lot of work! But you'ill find here great restoration threads
to support and hold up the motivation... Good luck! :thumbup2:

chris williams
08-31-2014, 03:37 PM
I would suggest getting in touch with Stian in Norway and trying to purchase one of his parts cars to try to make one good one from the two. Thats probably on of the worst frames I have ever seen, (and that is what you can see) not including all the other bits that are missing.
Chris

Starglider
08-31-2014, 05:50 PM
That frame looks like a write off and the cost to fix the stainless panels will be really high. The interior and fibreglass are not so hard to fix but still a lot of work. It will be a long restoration project.

dmcnorway
08-31-2014, 06:25 PM
Good to see VIN #6201 safely in your workshop Geir! :-)
(And yes, he bought one of my parts cars which I imported from the US.)

VIN # 6201 came originally from New Jersey (title) and was transported down to Florida for export.

The car had stood outside a long time when I found it. It had glassfibre damage in the front as well. It was missing the engine, engine cover, louvre, left front fender, hood, front fascia, rear fascia, rear lights, front lights, grille, instruments, interior shot, glass missing etc. I had planned to restore it myself, but decided to sell it after all since Geir wanted a 5-speed (my other project cars are automatics) BTW - I import project cars in order to get more DeLoreans registered and driven on Norwegian/European roads).

The price may seem high to you Americans, but in Norway a DeLorean is a rare beast. Take into consideration domestic US transport, international shipping and 25% import tax, transport from docks etc. and everything adds up.

For the record - the car was sold "as-is" as parts car/project car, but I provided these extra parts: Engine, engine cover, louvre, left front fender, hood, front fascia, rear fascia, rear lights, grille, instruments so as the car would be as complete as possible concerning the "big" parts. No attempt was made to "oversell" the car at all as I'm sure Geir can testify.

Yet here we all are. The DMC community is here to help you. Let Alexakos' DeLorean be an inspiration. This DeLorean can be saved!

Stian Birkeland
Norway

Rich_NYS
08-31-2014, 08:24 PM
From what I see in the market, you could put that entire purchase off to the side, buy a running car elsewhere, import it to Norway and still come out ahead then potentially restoring that vehicle. I can understand your import costs can be high, but fixing a project car that far gone with that many things missing can be very costly and disheartening. Don't feel ashamed if a mistake was made, just learn from it and move on.

One way to approach this is to make a list of the missing and damaged parts, put an estimate of what it will cost to acquire them, and then decide if this is a project or a parts car.

+1

jawn101
08-31-2014, 08:36 PM
Yikes. I understand there are expenses involved in getting cars to other countries, but we see running, driving (but decidedly unpretty) examples over here for 1/3 that price all the time. That seems extreme.

Either way, best of luck on the repairs. Is that a hole in the transmission casing or is that a shadow?

Slammer
08-31-2014, 08:59 PM
Is that a hole in the transmission casing or is that a shadow?

I think, and hope that's just a wet spot.

djdogbone
09-01-2014, 03:39 AM
Good luck with your project. I thought there was a frame for sale on this forum. Check the for sale section. I don't see the frame on Ebay anymore.

Alegria
09-01-2014, 04:49 AM
Good luck with your project. I thought there was a frame for sale on this forum. Check the for sale section. I don't see the frame on Ebay anymore.

I think the one on eBay is sold...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELOREAN-FRAME-FROM-A-23K-MILES-CAR-/131256979485

john 05141
09-01-2014, 04:55 AM
The Belgian governement is chasing for extra tax income and the environment is often misused in this case.
If they indeed will hit hard on oldtimers and I decide to get rid of it, I think I will try to sell it in Norway.

Good luck on your restoration project.
Jan

Jonathan
09-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Getting the missing parts can be a long, costly process. One way to approach this is to make a list of the missing and damaged parts, put an estimate of what it will cost to acquire them, and then decide if this is a project or a parts car.

I won't advise on welding frames as I have no experience in this.

I did try to give you a head start on the missing or damaged parts list and costs. These are Houston prices in USD and don't include any taxes, duties, shipping or import fees to Norway.

Note the cells with a cost of $0.00. Those can be the worrisome ones, most notably the frame, fenders or fiberglass. And the binnacle, slide release bars and a number of other smaller items. I wasn't sure if some of these things were included in what you got or not so was guessing on many. Much of this list is very incomplete as it won't include a very long list of nuts and bolts and brackets and fittings and hoses and gaskets, etc.

Glad to hear you are working with Stian and others on this as it sounds like you are in good hands to figure it out.

EDIT: for the life of me I can't figure out how to attach a spreadsheet. Here it is in PDF.

Was also going to say that some of the things that you are missing might actually work out ok as you can buy the Stage 1 exhaust upgrade and come out ahead buying a kit instead of replacing individual parts.

Slammer
09-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Impressive work Jonathan!
There are parts in the list that I have, and parts that's missing and others that need replacing.
I have seen a couple of rolling frames for sale here and on ebay which would have been perfect for me.
This can't be the last frames appearing for sale.

Jonathan
09-01-2014, 03:42 PM
There are parts in the list that I have, and parts that's missing and others that need replacing.
I have seen a couple of rolling frames for sale here and on ebay which would have been perfect for me.

No problem. I learned something about my own car after going through some of those parts pages too. I don't think I knew there was a gasket in behind the tail light lenses. Granted that's only a small part I might be missing, but glad to finally realize I need to go look.

My list is far from exact, as you know. Some you have some you don't and some that are listed at zero dollars. It still added up to $10,000 as it is. And that's with the frame not included, nor the left front fender and a couple other things. That could easily be another $10,000 depending on what you find.

So what I was seeing is at least $20,000 more in parts investment and that doesn't include a single minute of labour or expertise or any of the fasteners or fittings or other surprise needs. And that's $20,000 USD more before you add the costs of getting things to Norway.

So I got looking at what Stain said can drive the costs up in Norway. I tried to add it up like this:

$10,400.00 US car purchase price
$750.00 Domestic US transport
$2,000.00 International shipping
$2,600.00 25% import tax
$250.00 Transport from docks

$16,000.00 Total

What I did was work the calculation backwards from a car worth the equivalent of $16,000 USD in investment to get it to your location in Norway. 25% import tax is straight forward, the other shipping costs are guesses or Googles from other people's experiences. The long and short of it is, if you spend the equivalent of $16,000 USD on a car in the US and then ship it, according to the costs mentioned, that means you start with a car you bought for a selling price of $10,400. Knowing the market for our cars a little bit, a $10,400 car might not be amazing in every way, but it will be a much different car than what you have there.

So if you are still going to need to spend at least $20,000 of additional money on VIN 6201 for parts, that $20,000 becomes somewhere near $28,000 USD. And that's just for new parts (or old parts) and no labour to do something with them (the money for the labour or the time for that labour if it's yours). That brings your equivalent total to $44,000 for a car that looks like your pictures do right now with a very large pile of parts in boxes on the otherside of your garage. I wouldn't want to guess at how much it would cost to combine the two piles, but you could be limping along in a car you've spent $60,000 USD on in a hurry going this route. (while it might also ignore garage space constraints, tools costs, time at home with wife/family costs, etc.)

Working backwards again with the calculator, that $60,000 USD spent, if you subtract the $16,000 already gone, leaves you with $44,000 USD you still have in your pockets (or future pockets). That equates to a US eBay or DMCH car sold at $32,800. There are some nice cars for that price as well as less right now. Plenty in fact.

There is something called the "Sunk cost fallacy" and it might apply here.

The idea is that we seem to always want to "get our money's worth" even though the money is already spent, it didn't work or wasn't the right thing, and yet we still want to keep going.

The example I've seen is going to a movie with a friend. You pay your $10 to get in and quickly after it starts, realize the movie is terrible. But what do we often do instead of leaving? "Well I'm staying cause I paid my money and want to get my money's worth." Yet we know the movie stinks, isn't getting better and we aren't getting our money back for leaving early. The costs are already gone, or sunk, and you should really just get up and leave and go have lunch somewhere.

The car you have there when considering what it will take it get it to good again is perhaps a sunk cost. Not to say it can't be revived, but there are far better ways to spend your money than pouring it further into this one. That $16,000 looks big right now, but it may seem pretty small in the future. Just wanted to show you how some of the math works to help you make a decision. It's yours to make though of course.

jawn101
09-01-2014, 03:50 PM
No problem. I learned something about my own car after going through some of those parts pages too. I don't think I knew there was a gasket in behind the tail light lenses. Granted that's only a small part I might be missing, but glad to finally realize I need to go look.

My list is far from exact, as you know. Some you have some you don't and some that are listed at zero dollars. It still added up to $10,000 as it is. And that's with the frame not included, nor the left front fender and a couple other things. That could easily be another $10,000 depending on what you find.

So what I was seeing is at least $20,000 more in parts investment and that doesn't include a single minute of labour or expertise or any of the fasteners or fittings or other surprise needs. And that's $20,000 USD more before you add the costs of getting things to Norway.

So I got looking at what Stain said can drive the costs up in Norway. I tried to add it up like this:

$10,400.00 US car purchase price
$750.00 Domestic US transport
$2,000.00 International shipping
$2,600.00 25% import tax
$250.00 Transport from docks

$16,000.00 Total

What I did was work the calculation backwards from a car worth the equivalent of $16,000 USD in investment to get it to your location in Norway. 25% import tax is straight forward, the other shipping costs are guesses or Googles from other people's experiences. The long and short of it is, if you spend the equivalent of $16,000 USD on a car in the US and then ship it, according to the costs mentioned, that means you start with a car you bought for a selling price of $10,400. Knowing the market for our cars a little bit, a $10,400 car might not be amazing in every way, but it will be a much different car than what you have there.

So if you are still going to need to spend at least $20,000 of additional money on VIN 6201 for parts, that $20,000 becomes somewhere near $28,000 USD. And that's just for new parts (or old parts) and no labour to do something with them (the money for the labour or the time for that labour if it's yours). That brings your equivalent total to $44,000 for a car that looks like your pictures do right now with a very large pile of parts in boxes on the otherside of your garage. I wouldn't want to guess at how much it would cost to combine the two piles, but you could be limping along in a car you've spent $60,000 USD on in a hurry going this route. (while it might also ignore garage space constraints, tools costs, time at home with wife/family costs, etc.)

Working backwards again with the calculator, that $60,000 USD spent, if you subtract the $16,000 already gone, leaves you with $44,000 USD you still have in your pockets (or future pockets). That equates to a US eBay or DMCH car sold at $32,800. There are some nice cars for that price as well as less right now. Plenty in fact.

There is something called the "Sunk cost fallacy" and it might apply here.

The idea is that we seem to always want to "get our money's worth" even though the money is already spent, it didn't work or wasn't the right thing, and yet we still want to keep going.

The example I've seen is going to a movie with a friend. You pay your $10 to get in and quickly after it starts, realize the movie is terrible. But what do we often do instead of leaving? "Well I'm staying cause I paid my money and want to get my money's worth." Yet we know the movie stinks, isn't getting better and we aren't getting our money back for leaving early. The costs are already gone, or sunk, and you should really just get up and leave and go have lunch somewhere.

The car you have there when considering what it will take it get it to good again is perhaps a sunk cost. Not to say it can't be revived, but there are far better ways to spend your money than pouring it further into this one. That $16,000 looks big right now, but it may seem pretty small in the future. Just wanted to show you how some of the math works to help you make a decision. It's yours to make though of course.

This is the best and most thoughtful post ever on this forum. Kudos to you Jonathan for taking the time to put what we were all thinking into words, and in a way that hopefully helps soften their impact.

Rich_NYS
09-01-2014, 05:34 PM

That $16,000 looks big right now, but it may seem pretty small in the future. Just wanted to show you how some of the math works to help you make a decision. It's yours to make though of course.

Great perspective Jonathan, also factor in whatever amount of money can be recovered by selling the car.

Rich_NYS
09-01-2014, 05:38 PM
This is the best and most thoughtful post ever on this forum. Kudos to you Jonathan for taking the time to put what we were all thinking into words, and in a way that hopefully helps soften their impact.

+1

DMC5180
09-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Great perspective Jonathan, also factor in whatever amount of money can be recovered by selling the car.

Sell as a parts car or continue to part it out. Otherwise this scenario just replays again to the next guy.

Bopat
09-02-2014, 05:50 PM

Slammer

Listen to Jonathan.
Forget about this car.
Buy another one, and sell this as parts.
Why?

Check out my restoration.
My car was in way better shape than yours, almost nothing missing, frame and body parts were OK, or almost OK.
BUT

I bought it for less then 5000 USD
I spent more than 17.000 EUROS (Not USD) for parts
More than 15.000 EUROS for work and other stuff - shipping, tax registration.
So total was around 32-33.000 EUROS.

You will end up somewhere around 55-60.000 EUR. Minimum!

Not worth it, really.

http://dmc701.blogspot.sk/

ALEXAKOS
09-03-2014, 03:47 AM
Slammer

Listen to Jonathan.
Forget about this car.
Buy another one, and sell this as parts.
Why?

Check out my restoration.
My car was in way better shape than yours, almost nothing missing, frame and body parts were OK, or almost OK.
BUT

I bought it for less then 5000 USD
I spent more than 17.000 EUROS (Not USD) for parts
More than 15.000 EUROS for work and other stuff - shipping, tax registration.
So total was around 32-33.000 EUROS.

You will end up somewhere around 55-60.000 EUR. Minimum!

Not worth it, really.

http://dmc701.blogspot.sk/

A very heroic restoration I must admit. But half as bad as mine.

I too got my "rusty" for a minimal 10k € cost, shipping, customs n taxes included.

I did not need a frame but my engine overhaul cost nearly as much.

I'll be done at a total of 18k €

Geir gas a good chance of saving it.

Selling it for parts in EU may get him a few euros back but won't equal the value he paid already. Especially when 1/4 of the stainless parts is no good. That is the highest value lost so far. Plus he will have a wreck in his garage for over two years until all parts are out.

If yours was at 33k€ Geirs with a frame may total at a 338k€ tops. But he will have a new looking D with that amount. Those are worth more than 50k€

Dont give up Geir. If you like fighting, you will feel like a world champion after that.

If you don't, list it on ebay get the most out if it and start fresh.

AugustneverEnds
09-03-2014, 10:02 AM
A very heroic restoration I must admit. But half as bad as mine.

Dont give up Geir. If you like fighting, you will feel like a world champion after that.

If you don't, list it on ebay get the most out if it and start fresh.

Keep fighting!!! :thumbup2:

LordFly
09-03-2014, 10:25 AM
This car was already imported to Norway so I don't know were it came from.

Wow, those pictures are rough. That car needs a LOT of work. I feel bad for you man. Over here in North America, that car would probably go for $5K, absolute tops. You've definitely got your work cut out for you.

ALEXAKOS
09-03-2014, 10:41 AM
There you go! First votes of trust for you Geir;) need we open a poll?

Andy
09-03-2014, 11:11 AM
One person says keep it and restore it, the other says don't do it?!?!? Isn't this decision up to the person who just bought it?

My opinion is that if you love working on and restoring a classic car, you're gonna have a blast with this! If you love driving your car, walk away and buy another car! Because it's gonna take a whole lot of time before this car is going to see the road again ...

Value-wise this is also up to the owner ; I mean, we have a classic Renault R11 from 1984 in our garage and now and then we do some mechanical or cosmetic updates to it. Are these worth it value-wise? No, maybe not, but we love the car and we're not going to sell it any time soon ... Same with this DeLorean; sure it's gonna cost A LOT of money to restore this one, but if the owner's up to it and isn't planning on selling it afterwards, why not?

Just my opinion ....

ALEXAKOS
09-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Right Andy. Up to the owner to decide. But he did start a thread of opinion depositing. All of us share our experiences and "what would I do's"

The final decision will be posted by Geir:)

Slammer
09-03-2014, 02:02 PM
I don't think selling parts are an alternative, there are nobody around here looking for these parts. With the owners and the partsselection in the US, I would have to sell extremely cheap to compete with that.
I did not buy this car because I needed a car to drive around in, it was always suposed to be a restauration object. The price of the car ended up double of what I belived in the beginning and the condition far worse.
So the options are making it a delorean looking thing sitting in my garage, or slowly bringing it back with help from a partscar, rolling frame or just a part now and then over a long time.
I have no problem seeing how much cheaper it would be to buy a running car but again that was never an alternativ.

Starting with option 1, then looking for the right partsource to take it to the next fase.
At least that's how I see it right now. The hard to get parts I need to get my hands on as soon as I have a chance. (they shouldn't be to risky to buy anyhow)

Jonathan
09-03-2014, 08:18 PM
One person says keep it and restore it, the other says don't do it?!?!? Isn't this decision up to the person who just bought it?

Yes. Good point Andy.

Alex, you're right too about Slammer originally asking the forum for our opinions. What I would caution is any extreme enthusiasm or pessimism about how or should he be restoring the car. Stick to the facts or numbers of what you know or have learned from experience. Campaigning for him to do it one way or the other isn't going to help as Slammer along with every other person on this forum has been walking life in a totally different pairs of shoes than from everyone else and more than likely has different things he is comfortable with or things he isn't.

He doesn't need a cheering section, he needs details based on experience. If yours went well (in your opinion), then great, share that. But you need to share every detail to paint the entire picture and no one will ever grasp that entire story except yourself without pages of context.

This becomes almost a Catch 22 of sorts, but some advice I received long ago is this: never trust advice from someone who doesn't have to live with the consequences.

If folks are cheering on Slammer in one direction or another and it goes south with what he chose, only Slammer has to live with the aftermath. That's the only reason I think it would be best to leave the exclamation mark thoughts for someone else and just try to give the guy some facts he can make use of.

Good luck either way Geir, it is your choice.

Rich_NYS
09-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Yes. Good point Andy.

Alex, you're right too about Slammer originally asking the forum for our opinions. What I would caution is any extreme enthusiasm or pessimism about how or should he be restoring the car. Stick to the facts or numbers of what you know or have learned from experience. Campaigning for him to do it one way or the other isn't going to help as Slammer along with every other person on this forum has been walking life in a totally different pairs of shoes than from everyone else and more than likely has different things he is comfortable with or things he isn't.

He doesn't need a cheering section, he needs details based on experience. If yours went well (in your opinion), then great, share that. But you need to share every detail to paint the entire picture and no one will ever grasp that entire story except yourself without pages of context.

This becomes almost a Catch 22 of sorts, but some advice I received long ago is this: never trust advice from someone who doesn't have to live with the consequences.

If folks are cheering on Slammer in one direction or another and it goes south with what he chose, only Slammer has to live with the aftermath. That's the only reason I think it would be best to leave the exclamation mark thoughts for someone else and just try to give the guy some facts he can make use of.

Good luck either way Geir, it is your choice.

THAT....is a great post and some damn good mental Jiu-Jitsu, mister! :notworthy:

ALEXAKOS
09-04-2014, 06:32 AM
Geir, you might want to contact the person at this post
http://dmctalk.org/showpost.php?p=147592

Also member eagle-co94 has a good pile of used parts. Pm him as well

DMC5180
09-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Slammer,

You have huge project ahead IF you see it through. There Once was a guy who bought a pile of parts (cheap) and turned it into a beautiful ride. The quality parts was way better than what you have though. Here is the Proof.

If you need a little inspiration. Btw: part way through you will see a couple ADULT VIDEO Box Covers. He came across a sizable quantity of them NEW OLD STOCK and sold them to help Finance the Project. There is a Delorean featured in each one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V9b0MrvS_8

ALEXAKOS
09-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Slammer,
Here is the Proof.

If you need a little inspiration.

5 years???? That vid is far from inspiring. Hahahaha. Price wise it's a good deal and the result is astonishing.

My work will be done at about 16 months and I didn't just assemble. I had to remove hundreds of stuck corroded screws. Most needed to be cut off.

David T
09-05-2014, 01:18 PM
5 years???? That vid is far from inspiring. Hahahaha. Price wise it's a good deal and the result is astonishing.

My work will be done at about 16 months and I didn't just assemble. I had to remove hundreds of stuck corroded screws. Most needed to be cut off.

Before you start a big project you should be brutaly honest with yourself. You need a LOT of time, a space, tools, money and perseverance to see it through to the end. Life will interfere with your plans. The very worst outcome is to start it and not be able to finish. If you have any doubts then don't start. All too often you hear about these kinds of projects that wind up sitting. If you decide not to do it and take a loss it will be far less than if you start and can't finish it. If you do decide to go ahead we will all be cheering for you and will keep trying to inspire you. Your part will be to post pictures of your progress.

Chris Nicholson
09-06-2014, 08:03 PM
If you have not made a decision yet, its any help to you, I can repair you frame, currently fixing one just like it at the moment, it can be made exactly like new, same possibly with the Right front fender, although I would need more pictures. If you would like pictures of before and after let me know.

Best wishes!

Chris Nicholson
[email protected]

Alan
09-07-2014, 06:11 PM
If you have not made a decision yet, its any help to you, I can repair you frame, currently fixing one just like it at the moment, it can be made exactly like new, same possibly with the Right front fender, although I would need more pictures. If you would like pictures of before and after let me know.

Best wishes!

Chris Nicholson
[email protected]

Slammer,

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Chris' standing in the DMC community... he's considered a stainless and metalworking master. You can take his words as gospel... no grains of salt required.

Slammer
09-08-2014, 03:33 AM
I'm grateful for every advice and considerations here. I have been in contact with several of the mentioned members, and had offers from others.

About the frame, I'm pretty sure it will be replaced with a rolling chassie. Even my rear trailing arms have holes in them.
In addition to collecting parts I also need to collect pictures to see how everything goes together, luckily I find a lot of it here.

Slammer
09-08-2014, 03:42 AM
Slammer,

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Chris' standing in the DMC community... he's considered a stainless and metalworking master. You can take his words as gospel... no grains of salt required.

Yes I have understood that Chris N is the stainless guru. Great to see him here :)

jerzybondov
09-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Good luck with this restoration Slammer. A lot of work there!

currently fixing one just like it at the moment,

Bit harsh Chris ;) :D