PDA

View Full Version : A1 water pump replacement pulley

ALEXAKOS
09-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Help,
Got this water pump without pulley.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/04/9ed5960b51481d12c79892401cb463a7.jpg

Can't seem to pull off my original pulley of the old d pump.
Can't find pulleys t buy apart from the Bolt on ones?
Any links of hints?

Delorean Industries
09-04-2014, 11:05 AM
The pulley is pressed on. We offer this in a aluminum finish. The stock pulleys are generally good for one on and off. There has been a high failure rate of reusing. New pulley is 89.94. I can have one out to you today.

ALEXAKOS
09-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Bless you josh ONCE AGAIN!!! You have saved the day...
Order coming up.

DMCMW Dave
09-04-2014, 12:21 PM
This may help with how to actually do it. You need to pull the pulley in place or you will damage the pump.

http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/waterpumpDMC2.html

It's not 100% correct (I wrote it about a million years ago) as the pulley will stop at the correct depth when it hits the bearing. But you do need to be careful. Whatever you do don't press the pulley onto the shaft without supporting the shaft from underneath.

opethmike
09-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Yes, it is definitely important to always support your shaft.

ALEXAKOS
09-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Thanx Dave.
I'll take your great guide to install correctly the new pulley in position.
Since I don't own a press, I brought it to a work shop... And they did a great job messing up the pulley trying to remove it. :(

DMCMW Dave
09-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanx Dave.
I'll take your great guide to install correctly the new pulley in position.
Since I don't own a press, I brought it to a work shop... And they did a great job messing up the pulley trying to remove it. :(

Yeah - it won't hold up to a puller. You need to press the shaft out of it through the pump, i.e. support the pump. This ruins the pump, but since it's already bad it's not a big deal. If you try to use a puller on the pulley, it just folds up.

ALEXAKOS
09-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Well they used a press and I was not on location when they did it but the pulley looks like a carnation flower now. So much for experienced workshops.

Installation will be done at my presence this time.

Guidance appreciated!!! :)

DMCMW Dave
09-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Well they used a press and I was not on location when they did it but the pulley looks like a carnation flower now. So much for experienced workshops.

Installation will be done at my presence this time.

Guidance appreciated!!! :)

They probably put a flat plate puller under the pulley edge and pressed on the center. They should have put the flat plates under the pump.

ALEXAKOS
09-04-2014, 03:17 PM
They probably put a flat plate puller under the pulley edge and pressed on the center. They should have put the flat plates under the pump.

They probably should close up the joint, go home and think of another way to make a living!!!:(