PDA

View Full Version : General Door Popper / Anti-Theft Mods?

Shep
09-08-2014, 11:32 PM
With the recent acquisition of VIN 537 prompting my return to the forums, I thought I'd ask this:

Other than the blazingly obvious DMCNW Wings-A-Loft, are there any other Anti-Theft/Door Popper solutions out there? Production-ready, or even in-progress would work. I believe I heard or read someone in the UK coming out with a system, but never heard any more on that subject.

The reason why I'm looking for parts outside of Wings-A-Loft is for two reasons. 1) As good as it may work, I had the recent privilege of seeing a bag of their parts first-hand, and it looked more like a grabbag from an 80's Radioshack than, you know, security :eek7: quick-connect T-taps and crimpers galore, and 2) Other than one guy doing it himself somewhere here on the forum (which I'd have to scour to find), there's no way to either a) open JUST the passenger door, or b) rig up manual buttons to accomplish this, and point B is critical since I've already acquired an additional window switch to act as a manual interior door-popper -- forward for the passenger door, backwards for the driver's door -- to only activate when in Park or Neutral.

Also, I'd like to rig up the horn in the anti-theft to be my Awooga horn, and instead of intermittently going "Beep, beep, beep, beep", just constnatly be on like "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" and REALLY grab someone's attention, while the stock horn beeps an SOS pattern ("beep beep beep beeeeeeeep, beeeeeeep, beeeeeeep, beep beep beep *pause*). Minor gripe though, but I do want to rig up my Awooga horn to the anti-theft. How many times have you seen/heard that go off? :wrenchin:

TTait
09-09-2014, 12:13 AM
First off - Toby actually makes an excellent product and supplies most everything you need in based on the way most owners tend to prefer to install things. I believe (but cant promise) that his instructions even note that there are better practices that can be used, but he's not shipping a solder gun with every kit. Any part of the installation hardware you need can be upgraded at your discretion. His system will work just fine if you want to cut and solder every connection.

I have his system installed. I understand now 99% of what he did to integrate the poppers with the alarm into the car, and I could probably reverse engineer different components into a system that would work 80% as well with an investment of only several dozen additional hours and about the same net cost - but the next time I want to do that, I'm going to buy from Toby again. Its a big install, wiring wise - but it worked perfectly the first time. It would take a lot of effort to come up with a system I thought was better than his, and I have other things to channel that effort toward.

I agree that you want to use the best practices you can when installing anything like this in the car, and I'm not a big fan of taps either - just don't use them. If you want a more professional installation just don't use the parts you don't trust or hire a professional to install it and tell him what practices you want observed on your install.

The point is that Toby has worked out all the details in where it is best, easiest, and smartest ways to tap into the existing wiring for an owner that wants to do it themselves and expects it to work after they do. Toby knows wiring, and he knows the car well.

Beyond that - having a somewhat standardized product makes it a lot easier to troubleshoot in the future, and it won't diminish the value of your car. Many/most one-off mods do.

Finally - Toby is an upstanding guy who has been supporting owners for a very long time. That is his sole job, thats how he pays his mortgage. Most owners owe him a big thanks for at least one time he's saved our butts over the years, and someday he will save yours too. You might think you will save a few bucks with a do it yourself, but there is a lot of research and knowledge that went into packaging that product. You can't beat its value really IMO. Support your vendors.

With all of that said - you might not want to use a window switch as a trigger. Maybe your elbow won't accidentally hit the switch when you are cruising down the highway - but your passengers might. You could come up with some elaborate interlocks to prevent the doors from popping unless you hold down two separate releases at once, etc - but the more complex you make it the more likely it is to fail.

Tom

DMCMW Dave
09-09-2014, 12:51 AM
there's no way to either a) open JUST the passenger door, or :

It can be installed that way and is covered in the instructions.

TTait
09-09-2014, 01:52 AM
to only activate when in Park or Neutral.

Sorry - missed that in my first read. I'll still bet you pop the passenger door unintentionally from time to time, even in park - and then you have to get out, walk around, and close the door.

Silverbullet
09-09-2014, 02:43 AM
I have the Wing-A-Loft... Works great, I can open either door... also has the alarm covered in the same remote. Is awesome!

Craig

Shep
09-09-2014, 04:53 AM
Sweet lord all of you, frickin' READ!

Other than the blazingly obvious DMCNW Wings-A-Loft

I even put that in bold and underlined it, and took the liberty of explaining why. Not to be a dick, but did ANY of you take the time to even read the first post, or did you just see the thread title and skip everything I wrote?! :eek7:

Shep
09-09-2014, 05:40 AM
And just to clarify to those that seem to "not get it": this wasn't a slam against DMC NW by any means, or Toby, or vendors, etc. I know their product works. I've seen it in action. It's just not my cup of tea, and frankly, I refuse to believe that they have a monopoly on the whole market of DeLorean anti-theft/door popper setups. Like I said, I heard/read about someone in the UK doing it too, but never heard any further details on that.

Now if anyone wants to keep raving about DMC NW, take it elsewhere PLEASE. I already know about this option, but am looking into alternatives. Surely that's not such an outrageous request?! I'm not looking for any further info on the DMC NW offering. I know all about it, as does any other DeLorean owner who gives even half a damn about securing their investment. After all, it's in pretty much every single thread and discussion on door poppers or anti-theft systems relating to DeLoreans in existence, now this one included. It's impossible to NOT hear about it, which is why I'm looking to see what ELSE is on the market.

Any takers???

acaciolo
09-09-2014, 07:29 AM
I think since the facts you stated about the functionality of wings aloft were so wrong, people thought that pointing out to you that the reasons you gave for not liking wings aloft are incorrect. therefore, your multiple reasons for looking for a different product aren't valid.

I have wings aloft and it can do everything you say it can't. But since you so agresively stated that you don't want to hear about that, I'll keep my mouth shut. Hopefully no one else will make you even more angry with their free advice.

tony c

"you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"

Shep
09-09-2014, 07:49 AM
I think since the facts you stated about the functionality of wings aloft were so wrong, people thought that pointing out to you that the reasons you gave for not liking wings aloft are incorrect. therefore, your multiple reasons for looking for a different product aren't valid.

I have wings aloft and it can do everything you say it can't. But since you so agresively stated that you don't want to hear about that, I'll keep my mouth shut. Hopefully no one else will make you even more angry with their free advice.

tony c

"you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"This is both horribly inaccurate and wildly uncalled for. I say this again: I am looking for alternatives, i.e. not Wings-a-loft. I don't know how this turned into a "bash anyone looking for an alternative" thread, but that's what it seems to be. I know there are alternatives out there, and I never stated free advice wasn't appreciated, all I've been saying this whole time was I've heard of Wings-A-Loft and want to know of other products. Good lord, the whole lot of you really made a fire out of nothing, didn't you?

I'll keep my mouth shut.Then why troll post, honestly? If all you're going to do is be a dick, there's no need to contribute.

You know what, fuck it, someone lock this thread. I'm going to start a new one that hopefully won't devolve into so much hatred of the free goddamn market.

acaciolo
09-09-2014, 08:08 AM
Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your post. You said "the reasons I am looking for something outside of wings aloft" was followed by functionality requests that all are possible with wings aloft, as I have in my car. Very easy to do. Nothing special required. As a matter of fact, the standard install is to be able to open the passenger door only.

Sorry misunderstood your anger.

Any alarm with a pulsed output can work, but you'll need a few aux channels.

Compustar 6300 is what toby uses. You can buy that on your own and it will work great, but you'll have to fabricate your own brackets. It does come with connectors though, which I think you don't like.

Tony

Josh
09-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Sounds like your back to the drawing board here. Dont act like such a victim you dissed a product now your upset that people are not taking your side. Just as everyone said, Toby puts together some cool and innovative products for our cars. If its not up to your standards then go a different route, but there are no other drop in kits that do similar.

Shep
09-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Seriously guys, knock it off. If you have a problem with the way anything is handled, PM me or an admin. I'm done with this thread, and asked for it to be locked (PM'ing an admin and reporting my own post mind you) 4.5 hours ago. Frankly, I'm out of ideas since you can't lock or delete your own thread.

And just for the record: I still have no fucking clue how the first response to this thread was either warranted nor called for, and why everyone seems to be backing him up. :eek7:

Josh
09-09-2014, 12:45 PM
I'd read Tom's post (#2). It sums things up quite nicely.

And Toby is awesome. Thats why we are backing him up.

Shep
09-09-2014, 12:57 PM
I'd read Tom's post (#2). It sums things up quite nicely.

And Toby is awesome. Thats why we are backing him up.:icon_smile_duh:

Look, two things: 1) I made this thread so that the other would be abandoned (which, I repeat, has been somewhere lost in the moderation cue for FIVE hours now), and 2) I honestly haven't a goddamn clue why everyone just went off on me for no apparent reason like they did right after my first post starting the thread. All I said was I wanted an alternative to Wings-A-Loft, and suddenly it turned into a flame war (that same post you mention) against me for even daring to think of a different option. Excuse the french, but what the fuck warranted THAT kind of a response?! I've said this once and I'll say it again, I never dissed his product! Period! As I've said, I've seen it work, and I'm sure it's a great product, but it's not my cup of tea. Why the bloody hell did this suddenly get ridiculously personal against Toby? Dude, I never even mentioned him by name or anything, and never dissed the product. So I said it looked like an 80's radioshack with quick-connectors. That's how I honestly saw it when I first gazed eyes upon it. It wasn't an insult or a diss or anything, that's legitimately how I viewed it. WTF?!

Do us all a favor: to ANYONE looking to post in support of DMC NW and perpetuate this unwarranted and uncalled-for shitstorm, STFU and GTFO of these two threads. After all this that started with just asking if there were alternatives, I'll make one my own goddamn self if I have to, but I sure as hell am NOT buying Wings-A-Loft. Good lord, you people are impossible!

Dangermouse
09-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Shep,

fwiw, the mods are rarely monitoring every post, so they probably won't have seen your request. Probably best to PM them - DeLorean03 and/or Soundkillr

Shep
09-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Shep,

fwiw, the mods are rarely monitoring every post, so they probably won't have seen your request. Probably best to PM them - DeLorean03 and/or SoundkillrI did. Five hours ago. And reported my own posts too, to no avail. If you know either of their email addresses, shoot me a PM -- the one I have for DeLorean03 is way out of date and no longer active.

EDIT: And I do want to give a message to Toby, in case he's reading all of this: it's nothing personal against you or your business etc. etc., I was simply curious as to the alternatives. Have no clue how this place became such shark-infested waters in the year I was gone, but that kind of following has me thinking better of joining it. Best of luck to you on your endeavors.

Tamir A.
09-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Shep, contrary to what you may believe, the users and moderators of this site are not at your beck and call, same goes to anyone else on here who believes that is the case. This forum is supposed to self moderate for the most part, though that becomes less and less do-able when people become aggressive.

I've read this thread and will send you my comments in a PM, but for the most part, less aggression would be preferred. You even had a vendor respond to your post and you still couldn't figure out a way to conduct your responses in a way that didn't seem inflammatory.

This thread is closed, if anyone has an interest in offering advice to Shep can do so at his new thread: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10597-Anti-Theft-Door-Popper-Solutions