PDA

View Full Version : General Does a master list of cross-reference parts exist?

bunni
09-18-2014, 02:34 PM
I recently dove in to rebuilding my CV joints, to find that one of them was pretty well worn. DMCMW Dave chimed in saying "Parts car part." meaning replacement internals are NLA. DPI Josh chimed in with "Available new from Delorean Performance." And then later on Nicholas R followed up with "Just FYI, to my knowledge the DeLorean CV joints are identical to the Porsche 911/930 100mm CV joints."

This makes me wonder, is there actually a list available of cross reference parts to replace things that are not available? If not, would this be something the community is interested in?

My idea would be to start with a few common and well established parts, allow people in the community to add parts, and as time goes on, others can confirm community added parts.

I don't want to take any business away from DMC, DPI, or anyone else. But when odd things like this come up, and I get three different answers, it would be nice to have a list that can offer alternatives, even if not direct part numbers from somewhere else, and possible websites/stores/etc. to pick them up from.

*EDIT* Someone pointed me to the "Resources" section of the forum. While yes, there is a list, its pretty much thrown together, does not appear to be complete, and is 7 pages of a thread with general conversation splattered in. If this is good enough for everyone, then I will let this idea die here. But I would like to see a real list that can be easily searched and maintained, and would be willing to put in the work for it.

Mark D
09-18-2014, 04:39 PM
It would be quite a project to consolidate the existing list and weed out any parts that are NLA or that are a close but not exact replacement. For example, off the top of my head I think most of the oil filters listed aren't exactly right, they are either discontinued, have had part numbers changed, or don't have the right internal bypass pressure (but will physically fit). There would have to be a lot of investigation and verifying parts not only fit but function as the original parts. Another example here would be the crossover brake master cylinder...you can find some that will bolt up and work but the internal bias is 50/50 front and rear instead of 60/40.

The actual number of true crossover parts is probably pretty small. For example, the Porche CV axles you listed may have the right CV joints on the ends but the shaft length is probably different. So you'd have to specify that in the list somehow so someone would't just to buy the whole axle and try and swap it in the car without transferring the joints over to their old axle shaft.

If you're willing to do the work to check into each of the items it would be a great benefit to the community. There is probably more information that can be found on the forum about most of the parts on that list and whether or not they are still a good crossover that you'd want to run long term and not just something 'good enough' to get you home in a pinch. The list hasn't been maintained much in the past 5-10 years so I'm sure there are a lot of things listed there that you can't even get anymore. I don't think anyone would have an issue with you going through the list and weeding out the garbage.

In general though I do try to support one of the vendors whenever possible. I'm sure there are parts out there that I could have bought from some other source cheaper with a crossover PN but I usually don't have a problem paying a markup to support the vendors. They do a lot more than just sell parts so I do whatever I can to ensure they are still around. Plus it's nice to know you're ordering the the right part. Julee and Dave at DMCMW have a reputation for actually talking people out of ordering parts they don't really need and suggesting a different part that will better solve whatever issue they are having. It's tough to beat that kind of service.

bunni
09-18-2014, 06:13 PM
The idea started in another thread, so there is currently more activity in there than here unfortunately. But the idea is to turn this in to a community maintained catalog.

Using your oil filter example. I start the list of compatible filters as the models sold by DMC/DPI/etc. as known working, with links to them. Would also be nice to scrape out the price, and qty if available. From there, if people want to add more filters, they would be able to list manuf., manuf. part number, retailer part number (AZ, O'Reilly, etc.). It would be added to the list as "Unconfirmed." Other people in the community would be able to confirm it as a compatible part or flag it as incompatible for one reason or another. And, if a part is decidedly NOT compatible, like your brake master example; that part would not be removed from the list, but left and marked as not compatible and a listed reason why. This would document both things that are compatible, as well as parts that are not compatible, even through rumor says they may be.

I do not disagree with buying from DMC vendors. My recent adventure with the CV joints left me with a DPI part that was 2x the cost of a new Porche replacement. I will gladly keep the one with the markup just to support the community. But when I started my search, I had no idea anything was available.

I also agree that a lot of the personal interaction from DMC vendors is a GREAT thing to have. That is what this forum should be used for, to help perpetuate real and good information. But I feel a list would help tie in with that and when someone can definitively say "you need a new one, here is where you can get it" would go a long way in ensuring confidence in what someone is buying.

A little history on this idea. I am an EE, in my industry, everything is documented, anything can be easily found, compatible replacement parts can be had easily, and there are tools to search dozens of distributors at once and compare pricing. I am not a mechanic (I do have a small background in mechanical engineering, but its only slightly helped), and I don't know what I can get away with when replacing parts. I dove head on in to an engine rebuild, due to age of the engine, multiple leaks, shits and giggles, and trying to learn more about this. Trying to find some bits of information can be incredibly frustrating and ruins my motivation to keep pushing forward. The forum has been invaluable, but when it has come to some things, I ended up just guessing.

David T
09-18-2014, 09:46 PM
The idea started in another thread, so there is currently more activity in there than here unfortunately. But the idea is to turn this in to a community maintained catalog.

Using your oil filter example. I start the list of compatible filters as the models sold by DMC/DPI/etc. as known working, with links to them. Would also be nice to scrape out the price, and qty if available. From there, if people want to add more filters, they would be able to list manuf., manuf. part number, retailer part number (AZ, O'Reilly, etc.). It would be added to the list as "Unconfirmed." Other people in the community would be able to confirm it as a compatible part or flag it as incompatible for one reason or another. And, if a part is decidedly NOT compatible, like your brake master example; that part would not be removed from the list, but left and marked as not compatible and a listed reason why. This would document both things that are compatible, as well as parts that are not compatible, even through rumor says they may be.

I do not disagree with buying from DMC vendors. My recent adventure with the CV joints left me with a DPI part that was 2x the cost of a new Porche replacement. I will gladly keep the one with the markup just to support the community. But when I started my search, I had no idea anything was available.

I also agree that a lot of the personal interaction from DMC vendors is a GREAT thing to have. That is what this forum should be used for, to help perpetuate real and good information. But I feel a list would help tie in with that and when someone can definitively say "you need a new one, here is where you can get it" would go a long way in ensuring confidence in what someone is buying.

A little history on this idea. I am an EE, in my industry, everything is documented, anything can be easily found, compatible replacement parts can be had easily, and there are tools to search dozens of distributors at once and compare pricing. I am not a mechanic (I do have a small background in mechanical engineering, but its only slightly helped), and I don't know what I can get away with when replacing parts. I dove head on in to an engine rebuild, due to age of the engine, multiple leaks, shits and giggles, and trying to learn more about this. Trying to find some bits of information can be incredibly frustrating and ruins my motivation to keep pushing forward. The forum has been invaluable, but when it has come to some things, I ended up just guessing.

One of the problems is maintaining the list to keep it current. Many of the cross/over parts are either obsolete, the manufacturer is out of business, or there is so little turnover of the parts (the car is getting old and so are all of the other cars that used similar parts) no one will inventory the parts anymore. The venders have to keep current because they need a supply but they can buy much larger quantities than an owner can afford. Compare prices with the venders and the cross/overs. In may cases the venders are no more expensive (and sometimes cheaper) AND they will have it in stock And you KNOW it will fit and work. Not always so with cross/over parts.

bunni
09-18-2014, 11:03 PM
One of the problems is maintaining the list to keep it current. Many of the cross/over parts are either obsolete, the manufacturer is out of business, or there is so little turnover of the parts (the car is getting old and so are all of the other cars that used similar parts) no one will inventory the parts anymore.

That is why I envision a community backed project. Currently no stock of a part? (Like the clutch I waited over 8mo for a couple years ago) Check out and see what alternatives there are. A listed distributor no longer has stock of one of the parts? Flag that item as no longer available. Find a new part that is compatible? Add it to the list and let others check it out as well. Find a part that is claimed to be compatible but actually isn't? Mark it as such to let everyone know why its not compatible.

The venders have to keep current because they need a supply but they can buy much larger quantities than an owner can afford. Compare prices with the venders and the cross/overs. In may cases the venders are no more expensive (and sometimes cheaper) AND they will have it in stock And you KNOW it will fit and work. Not always so with cross/over parts.

Thats fine, if vendors are cheaper, then buy from the vendors. If the vendors end up more costly, then you can choose what you buy from. If you are in a pinch and need something TODAY, then there is a list of possible alternatives that could fill that need.

The goal is to document whats available. If things become obsolete, then there will be an easy way to indicate it as such. It will be an ever changing list to keep track of things.

If the DeLorean community wants nothing to do with it, and wouldn't be willing to contribute, then there is no point in me going forward. There is no way I can maintain a list by myself.

Ron
09-19-2014, 12:22 AM
*EDIT* Someone pointed me to the "Resources" section of the forum. While yes, there is a list, its pretty much thrown together, does not appear to be complete, and is 7 pages of a thread with general conversation splattered in. If this is good enough for everyone, then I will let this idea die here. But I would like to see a real list that can be easily searched and maintained, and would be willing to put in the work for it.
I liked what Steve started but some coudnd't open the spreadsheet. When he left, I started editing the list in this post (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?932-Parts-Crossover-List&p=10040&viewfull=1#post10040) as new things were posted in the spattered conversations, or wherever, as they came along. if no one knocked something down, it was thrown into the list raw. I was going to make a Stickie out of it but never cleaned it up. I think it would be a good thing to start with, at least the data...
This is all I know of that is not in the list:
=========
Dome light cross reference: 1989 Porsche 911 interior light fixture.
Manufacturer: Hella
Part number: 1628874

Flasher/Hazard module: Tridon EP-35. Will also flash LED bulbs. Made in U.S.A.
=========

Good project!

Dangermouse
09-19-2014, 08:38 AM

I understand exactly where you are comping from, but I think it is more equatable to trying to find a component piece from a bank of Westinghouse switchgear from the 1970s where nothing was computerized, rather than the cross reference for a circuit breaker from a 2010 PLC cabinet.

That's not to say it isn't a good and useful idea.

krs09
09-19-2014, 10:41 AM
I recently dove in to rebuilding my CV joints, to find that one of them was pretty well worn. DMCMW Dave chimed in saying "Parts car part." meaning replacement internals are NLA. DPI Josh chimed in with "Available new from Delorean Performance." And then later on Nicholas R followed up with "Just FYI, to my knowledge the DeLorean CV joints are identical to the Porsche 911/930 100mm CV joints."

This makes me wonder, is there actually a list available of cross reference parts to replace things that are not available? If not, would this be something the community is interested in?

My idea would be to start with a few common and well established parts, allow people in the community to add parts, and as time goes on, others can confirm community added parts.

I don't want to take any business away from DMC, DPI, or anyone else. But when odd things like this come up, and I get three different answers, it would be nice to have a list that can offer alternatives, even if not direct part numbers from somewhere else, and possible websites/stores/etc. to pick them up from.

Hmmm. Im also in the mist of digging into my cv joints. Sounds like I have some play (clicking noise on slow tight turns and when slowing down and accelerating again (harder acceleration) I do get a loud click in the rear. All my boots are torn and Ill bet ill have to replace the joint over just repacking and replacing the boot. How sure are we the Porsche joints are compatiable because that just might help a great deal. Any info would be great. Thanks for the idea Nick.

bunni
09-19-2014, 01:50 PM
I understand exactly where you are comping from, but I think it is more equatable to trying to find a component piece from a bank of Westinghouse switchgear from the 1970s where nothing was computerized, rather than the cross reference for a circuit breaker from a 2010 PLC cabinet.

I love that comparison!

I talked this over with a couple of friends last night, a couple of guys who are gearheads and webdevs. It sounds like this is something that could be useful in a few car communities. In discussing a generic framework, the scope and complexity exploded almost instantly, but it sounds like we're still going to try it. A good starting place would actually be the DeLorean community; A single car, two main trim options. As it comes together, I will give a link to it and see how it goes.

Nicholas R
09-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Hmmm. Im also in the mist of digging into my cv joints. Sounds like I have some play (clicking noise on slow tight turns and when slowing down and accelerating again (harder acceleration) I do get a loud click in the rear. All my boots are torn and Ill bet ill have to replace the joint over just repacking and replacing the boot. How sure are we the Porsche joints are compatiable because that just might help a great deal. Any info would be great. Thanks for the idea Nick.

See this post in this thread for all the info (post 13):
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10656-Large-amount-of-wear-on-CV-joints&p=157321&viewfull=1#post157321

Like I said, I didn't realize this was a secret.

Also just to be clear, they have to be 911 Turbo (930), not plain 911.

Elvis
09-20-2014, 05:41 AM
Partslist ?

do you guys remember that cool program called FINDPART ?

Somebody who is good in programming could update it a bit - otherwise it's still great, I still use it.

I'd like to see it updated.

Tappdarden
09-21-2014, 03:09 AM
In discussing a generic framework, the scope and complexity exploded almost instantly, but it sounds like we're still going to try it. A good starting place would actually be the DeLorean community; A single car, two main trim options. As it comes together, I will give a link to it and see how it goes.

Will it be opensourced? could it be hosted on something like github? .. that way the community could be involved in the development...

bunni
09-22-2014, 03:14 AM
do you guys remember that cool program called FINDPART ?

I have not, do you mean findpart.org, or something else? Google wasn't able to turn up much that was relevant other than findpart.org.

Will it be opensourced? could it be hosted on something like github? .. that way the community could be involved in the development...

Most likely. Still hammering out details right now to see how feasible it actually will be.

Chris4099
09-22-2014, 06:19 PM
This is the program:

http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/n_soft.htm

Probably hasn't been updated in 15 years!