PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone installed the Power Pump fuel pump?

jw123
09-23-2014, 12:56 AM
I am in the process of replacing the fuel pump and I was wondering if there are any suggestions as to whether I should stay with the DMC fuel pump kit
(K111085A) does the SpecialTauto fuel pump Kit (K111085AST) with the "Fuel Pump Tank Pick Up Baffle Kit" (110085PK) make a good replacement.
Any help or information on this would be appreciated.

sdg3205
09-23-2014, 01:12 AM
Both are good.

There is nothing wrong with a properly functioning stock DMC set up.

John's (Special T) tuna can baffle works by eliminating the OEM style pick up hose, which has been rumoured to kink/collapse with age.

BABIS
09-23-2014, 06:14 AM
hervey is also selling this http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/delorean-fuel-10700.jpg lol

jw123
09-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Both are good.

There is nothing wrong with a properly functioning stock DMC set up.

John's (Special T) tuna can baffle works by eliminating the OEM style pick up hose, which has been rumoured to kink/collapse with age.

Do you have any thoughts on the Power Pump offered by SpecialTauto?

sdg3205
09-23-2014, 11:41 AM
Do you have any thoughts on the Power Pump offered by SpecialTauto?

I've never used it. Perhaps someone else can chime in? You can also check in at DMCToday, where John has a few more supporters.

TTait
09-24-2014, 12:46 AM
It works fine, but I modified mine before installing it.

The pump is a commercially available unit, and is (apparently) available for less elsewhere if you know what to buy. As such John wanted to protect his research, so he took some sort of grinder to the body to remove the part number. He ground deeper than I might have preferred. On top of that it ground through the factory finish on the pump exposing untreated metal below. Now that coating was applied for a reason - and I was not happy. I chose to take it to a local radiator shop that also refurbishes fuel tanks, and had them apply several coats of a special paint used to line fuel tanks after they have been stripped. Dont know if that was needed or not, but I did it. It has worked for at least 4 years now.

Also, his revised baffle works fine too - but when fuel gets very low it can starve briefly if you take a sharp fast turn or accelerate hard - I actually like that - one last warning you are about to go dry.

BABIS
09-24-2014, 01:17 AM
It works fine, but I modified mine before installing it.

The pump is a commercially available unit, and is (apparently) available for less elsewhere if you know what to buy. As such John wanted to protect his research, so he took some sort of grinder to the body to remove the part number. He ground deeper than I might have preferred. On top of that it ground through the factory finish on the pump exposing untreated metal below. Now that coating was applied for a reason - and I was not happy. I chose to take it to a local radiator shop that also refurbishes fuel tanks, and had them apply several coats of a special paint used to line fuel tanks after they have been stripped. Dont know if that was needed or not, but I did it. It has worked for at least 4 years now.

Also, his revised baffle works fine too - but when fuel gets very low it can starve briefly if you take a sharp fast turn or accelerate hard - I actually like that - one last warning you are about to go dry.

is it possible to connect the "power pump" to the stock pick up hose? or is it longer than the stock pump?

TTait
09-24-2014, 01:21 AM
is it possible to connect the "power pump" to the stock pick up hose? or is it longer than the stock pump?

I'm guessing it will work, but did not try. The problem you will have is if you can get the rubber(?) cover that goes over the top of the pump to seat/seal properly.

Bitsyncmaster
09-24-2014, 05:40 AM

That is what I did. I machined an elbow pipe fitting and used my stock pickup. But what happened was the power pump is small and held in the mount with foam to take up the space. It then rotated after using it a few years and tore the pickup hose.

BABIS
09-24-2014, 10:18 AM
That is what I did. I machined an elbow pipe fitting and used my stock pickup. But what happened was the power pump is small and held in the mount with foam to take up the space. It then rotated after using it a few years and tore the pickup hose.

maybe a silicone hose joiner on the pump body would be better than the foam..

Chris 16409
10-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Does anybody have anything to say about Hervey's new DMCH-esque fuel pump. He sells it for $129 by itsef. Sounds like a good deal. I like the fact that it has stainless fittings on top instead of plastic.

Chris 16409
10-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Nobody's used this yet?

Justin51982
02-04-2015, 01:17 AM
Nobody's used this yet?

I saw it this weekend in a car that he is working on for a friend of mine who is planning on driving it from Dallas to NY, not sure how it works yet, but once the car is done I'm sure I can find out.

Domi
02-04-2015, 04:20 PM
It's exactly the same but this one doesn't have the electronic box included for the fuel sensor?
I'll be curious to see some review on this one, pretty cool it has stainless steel pipes.

DMCMW Dave
02-04-2015, 06:50 PM
It's exactly the same....

It's a long way from "exactly".

Patrick C
02-04-2015, 07:01 PM
It's a long way from "exactly".

What Dave said. Aside from other differences, I don't think the fuel sender even illuminates the low fuel light when you are nearing empty.

Domi
02-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Dave, do you know the main difference between the two models please?

DMCMW Dave
02-05-2015, 04:13 PM
Dave, do you know the main difference between the two models please?

I've not see brand X in person (If you want to buy one and send it to me I'd be glad to provide more info), but here's what I can see from photos:

Brand X - The top is not stainless, rather claimed to be "rust resistant". Assume plated steel. The fuel lines are clamped directly to the (stainless?) steel lines rather than using the quick-connect barb fittings that the lines are designed to utilize. The inlet filter is outside the baffle rather than inside the baffle. Not sure which is better, but based on experience if you ever have a dirt problem it's easier to clean the filter and baffle than the whole bottom of the tank, which is where the dirt ends up. The sender is still a separate part with no outer tube. The sender float is undamped so the gauge will probably wander around rather dramatically. That style sender should have a tube around the float. There is no low fuel light switch. There is likely to be a clearance problem at the fiberglass tank access panel as the Emission/Evap sensor appears to remain in place on top of the unit (could have been changed but that's what I see). I know the DMCH unit is tight there and it does not have the sensor. Not sure without trying it.

DMCH - Plastic is certainly rustproof and is what is used in all modern fuel systems. I've pulled enough rusty fuel pump modules from non-DMC GM cars to consider the plastic unit to be a benefit. As we know that part of the pump is directly hit with water every time it rains or you wash the car. The sender is part of the pump assembly, and the external electronics box damps the sender motion and "creates" the low fuel light signal. The gauge will not show tank slosh due to the damping.

I can't compare the actual pump motor because I can't see it. I can't compare the baffle check valve. The clamping mechanism certainly appears to be a knock-off of the same design as DMCH.

gulwng3
02-05-2015, 04:34 PM
I use to be a HUGE Hervey fan, but after purchasing his fuel sender unit, I finally saw the light. It is total crap! The cork gasket material leaked, there is no low fuel sender to operate the light in the instrument cluster, and the needle wobbles like crazy since there is no tube surrounding the float. I never really knew how much gas I had. BUYER BEWARE!

I purchased the DMC fuel sender unit and it is absolutely perfect. You get what you pay for.

Andy

ccurzio
02-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Another Hervey Hack-Job knock-off.

Get the pump from DMCH.

Justin51982
02-05-2015, 06:22 PM
I'm probably going to end up with the DMC on myself. I just find it a little challenging that it's almost double the cost of almost all other set ups. It's the only one that I know of that will do everything I want, so I don't see another option, I would just like it better at $350.

ccurzio
02-06-2015, 12:11 PM
The price is definitely significantly higher than it should be, especially for the unreasonably small warranty that comes with it, but initial check valve problems aside the unit seems to be fairly solid. I've had one of them in my car since mid-2012. It's internal check valve failed, but Houston made it right. No problems since.

Justin51982
02-06-2015, 12:45 PM
The price is definitely significantly higher than it should be, especially for the unreasonably small warranty that comes with it, but initial check valve problems aside the unit seems to be fairly solid. I've had one of them in my car since mid-2012. It's internal check valve failed, but Houston made it right. No problems since.

I guess when you have exclusivity and have what's supposed to be the best product, you can charge whatever you want. I'm also all about free enterprise and great margins, but like you said, its significantly higher than it should be......But, I need it, they have it, so they win.

bytes311
02-06-2015, 08:08 PM
I have Hervey's fuel pump/sending unit installed in my car. The only issue I have is the lack of a functioning fuel gauge.

Chris 16409
02-07-2015, 01:51 AM
I have Hervey's fuel pump/sending unit installed in my car. The only issue I have is the lack of a functioning fuel gauge.

What is your opinion on the pump itself. You can buy it separately for like $129 which is a good deal.

Trstno1
02-07-2015, 06:18 AM

What's going on with you fuel gauge? Does it have a low fuel indicator?

spedlot
02-07-2015, 12:04 PM
So I've had a bouncy fuel gauge for a while in my car. Would replacing this fuel pump/sending unit help this?

Bitsyncmaster
02-07-2015, 03:32 PM
So I've had a bouncy fuel gauge for a while in my car. Would replacing this fuel pump/sending unit help this?

It takes a very slow filter to stop a bouncy fuel gauge. The Tankzilla did a pretty good job but the best way to filter it is with software using a micro-processor which I think the new DMC pump/gauge uses.

DMCMW Dave
02-07-2015, 03:48 PM
It takes a very slow filter to stop a bouncy fuel gauge. The Tankzilla did a pretty good job but the best way to filter it is with software using a micro-processor which I think the new DMC pump/gauge uses.

Yes, and it's probably 5-10 minute averaging (I really don't know for sure). It's interesting to fill the tank with the new one with the engine running. When you shut it off the circuit resets, but if you fill the tank with the engine running it takes a long time to show full.

Bitsyncmaster
02-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Yes, and it's probably 5-10 minute averaging (I really don't know for sure). It's interesting to fill the tank with the new one with the engine running. When you shut it off the circuit resets, but if you fill the tank with the engine running it takes a long time to show full.

Not that we would know that since we don't break the law:hihi2::hihi2:

DMCMW Dave
02-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Not that we would know that since we don't break the law:hihi2::hihi2:

I faked it by moving the arm manually. ...

bytes311
02-10-2015, 01:13 PM
What's going on with you fuel gauge? Does it have a low fuel indicator?

The unit doesn't have a connector for the low fuel light indicator, just to the gauge. I haven't filled my tank above 2-3 gallons because I've been working on my car ever since I bought the fuel pump, so that could be why it doesn't register on the gauge.

DAP John
02-10-2015, 05:41 PM
I am in the process of replacing the fuel pump and I was wondering if there are any suggestions as to whether I should stay with the DMC fuel pump kit
(K111085A) does the SpecialTauto fuel pump Kit (K111085AST) with the "Fuel Pump Tank Pick Up Baffle Kit" (110085PK) make a good replacement.
Any help or information on this would be appreciated.

R U Looking at getting another pump for performance reasons, previous fail pump reasons or what. Once I some what tailor your reason with the pump you may find another a standard pump is better. If it's to have a spare then my drop in Export assy at $129.95 may be the better.

www.deloreanautoparts.com
John Hervey

DAP John
02-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Does anybody have anything to say about Hervey's new DMCH-esque fuel pump. He sells it for $129 by itself. Sounds like a good deal. I like the fact that it has stainless fittings on top instead of plastic.

Chris, #1, Mine and others are all made in China and I'm not the biggest fan of it also. I could have come out with it years ago but I preferred the original DeLorean design. I still stock and sell what I call the Euro design.
Read further down.

DAP
John Hervey

DAP John
02-10-2015, 09:57 PM
Nobody's used this yet?

Chris,
Keep in mind a lot of people still have a good sending unit and don't want to drop $420.00 for a fuel pump and another sending unit that had to be re calibrated to read correct which means more to go out if there is a problem.
Then what do you do when it goes out and it's out of warranty.
You can very well be the exception when it comes to money and what you can spend and want to do in your car.

I'm just offering another alternative.

John
DAP

DAP John
02-10-2015, 10:17 PM

Dave, Since were talking about the same China fuel pump system that you and I sell it reacts pretty fast to turning corners when your low on fuel and it acts fast when you fill up. Yes, It's a float system with life warranty and since it's stainless and virtually nothing to break or get gum ed up over time that you can't clean up yourself.
I think with what I'm hearing and only one return out of going on 300 sold isn't bad. Beats what others have come out with in the past and what happens to gas with ethanol and varnish over time.
Again, There is nothing perfect as long as were putting gas in the tank.

John
DAP

DAP John
02-10-2015, 11:17 PM
I saw it this weekend in a car that he is working on for a friend of mine who is planning on driving it from Dallas to NY, not sure how it works yet, but once the car is done I'm sure I can find out.

Justin, I don't sell anything first with out testing it. I have been using the fuel pump in my car since I came out with it about 2 to 3 months ago and they have been used in certain cars for over 10+ years. So I'm not looking for a problem with the pumps. The only problem I have is that they are made in China as all of them on the market today DMCH included.

No problems to report at this time. When all of us go thru a good old Texas summer will be the telling time. Heat is our cars worst enemy. The company I buy the pumps from is one of the oldest and largest producers of fuel pump companies in China.

DAP
John

DAP John
02-10-2015, 11:24 PM
The unit doesn't have a connector for the low fuel light indicator, just to the gauge. I haven't filled my tank above 2-3 gallons because I've been working on my car ever since I bought the fuel pump, so that could be why it doesn't register on the gauge.

Since it doesn't have a light to tell you your out or low on gas I designed it to have between 2 to 3 gallons when it gets to empty. Personally I never trust a low indication of any kind on any of my family cars so I fill them up when they are low.
I don't want to take a chance. But that's me. I know others that still add a dollars worth to ride around on even though it will barley get 1/2 gallon. http://dmctalk.org/images/icons/icon7.png

DAP John

Chris 16409
02-11-2015, 12:04 AM
Chris, #1, Mine and others are all made in China and I'm not the biggest fan of it also. I could have come out with it years ago but I preferred the original DeLorean design. I still stock and sell what I call the Euro design.
Read further down.

DAP
John Hervey

John, my sending unit is fine, and I like the way it works. That's why your pump offering is attractive. I'd really like to get rid of all that rubber in the fuel tank. I've still got your rubber pump boots in my tank right now. As far as I know they haven't parished yet, but as you know our "gasahol" tends to eat up those boots.

Chris 16409
02-20-2015, 03:17 AM
Here's the fuel pump installed. I repurposed the old fuel pump top boot. The pump is very quite. It's very quiet when it primes. Just took it for a test drive. All seems to be good. I will be evaluating this pump to see how it works.

Here's what I did to connect to the original fuel pump harness. I did not want to cut out the original connector. Who knows I may by the DMCH pump at some point.

On a side note, here is OE style pump in the lower boot. Not quite sure why the boot split. I just think the whole OE fuel pump set up is "asinine" (if I can borrow one of Mr Delorean's favorite words). On the plus side, the boot wasn't all stickey and turn to mush.

Chris 16409
03-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Brand X - The top is not stainless, rather claimed to be "rust resistant". Assume plated steel. The fuel lines are clamped directly to the (stainless?) steel lines rather than using the quick-connect barb fittings that the lines are designed to utilize.

I did the magnet test on the metal parts. I used a neodymium magnet since they are strong. The magnet stuck to the top of the pump but not to the metal fuel tubes.

jorge figueroa
04-28-2016, 12:58 PM
right now I'm restoring a DeLorean with automatic transmission
the owner of this car buy some products from specialtauto without consulting me first.
in the past I have had personal conflicts with john hervey and even accuse me of thief without any evidence.
and for several years did not sell parts to Puerto Rico.
trust me I do not need specialtauto and low quality parts.
I'll give you an example:

gas pump is identical herko brand and is located in Florida and using ebay to sell at low prices
This is the Herko company ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/usr/e-herko?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
the pump is used for suburban and yukon 2002-2004 the model is herko 131ge for only $52 dollars
this is the link of ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Premium-High-Performance-Fuel-Pump-131GE-For-FLEX-Chevrolet-GMC-2002-2004-/171286854091?hash=item27e17df9cb:g:cKEAAOSwAuNW6Yi F&vxp=mtr

pump pressure barely reaches 65 psi, the metal cap of the pump is not stainless steel
only has rustproofing.
the rubber seal is not used in the auto industry, It is used as a seal for outdoor lamps
to make them moisture-proof.
you can clearly see the brand and model of the seal used here:

the seal barely holds the pump and is not moisture-proof
if it rains the tank is contaminated with high humidity causing damage to the fuel system

I hate to say these vendors in their desperation to sell something
They invent any product regardless of quality as it affects the buyer
which in this case is the owner of a DeLorean.

jorge figueroa
04-28-2016, 11:40 PM
It is incredible in less than 5 days
herko increase the value of the model 131ge pump $ 52 to $ 104
but there are other equally good alternatives:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222069168132?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

for only $39.99

Bitsyncmaster
04-29-2016, 05:28 AM
It is incredible in less than 5 days
herko increase the value of the model 131ge pump $ 52 to $ 104
but there are other equally good alternatives:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222069168132?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

for only $39.99

So are you saying this pump only provides pressure to 65 PSI or was that only the one from Special T?

jorge figueroa
04-29-2016, 02:13 PM
integrated pump sell by specialtauto only develops 65 psi
It should be at least 100 psi

jorge figueroa
04-29-2016, 02:23 PM
the idea of integrated fuel pump is good, but the electric pump is simply too weak
the concept developed by dmc uses an electric pump equal to walbro exceeding 100 psi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Walbro-Racing-High-Pressure-F90000262-Fuel-Pump-400-LPH-500-HP-/381612500536?vxp=mtr&hash=item58d9e0a638

Chris 16409
04-29-2016, 10:37 PM
What will happen if the pump doesn't generate 100psi? Mine has been working okay. I think where there may be an issue, is building up fuel pressure to start the car if it has sat for a couple days. I wonder if I can use my existing housing and install a more powerful pump.

Bitsyncmaster
04-30-2016, 04:40 AM
What will happen if the pump doesn't generate 100psi? Mine has been working okay. I think where there may be an issue, is building up fuel pressure to start the car if it has sat for a couple days. I wonder if I can use my existing housing and install a more powerful pump.

You want the pump to provide more pressure than what your PPR (primary pressure regulator) is set for. That way, if the pump pressure changes a little it won't change your fuel mixture.

Normal PPR pressure is 75 PSI but most I've tested run close to 70 PSI. I shimmed my PPR to get 75 PSI. That is the design value and running less I would assume would limit your high RPM power.

I think there is a specification of the volume of fuel delivered at some PSI.

smallclone
03-31-2019, 10:31 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread here but the DMCH pump comes with a check valve but these pumps do not. If these are considered cheap alternatives wouldnt a check valve need to be in place when using one of these?

Bitsyncmaster
04-01-2019, 03:13 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread here but the DMCH pump comes with a check valve but these pumps do not. If these are considered cheap alternatives wouldnt a check valve need to be in place when using one of these?

Most of the OEM style pumps have a check valve that is "screwed" on to the top of the pump.

smallclone
04-01-2019, 02:07 PM
Most of the OEM style pumps have a check valve that is "screwed" on to the top of the pump.

Right. With these gm style ones tho. The dcmh ones are the only ones i know that require an external check valve. Wondering why that is

Bitsyncmaster
04-01-2019, 03:20 PM
Right. With these gm style ones tho. The dcmh ones are the only ones i know that require an external check valve. Wondering why that is

I think there is an internal check valve in the new ones but the early units DMCH sold some of the check valves would not hold long enough.

FABombjoy
04-01-2019, 07:16 PM
You really should use an external valve with the new OEM style pumps and Kjet.

I removed the check valve after converting to EFI and you can hear the accumulator spring expand as the fuel drains back after key off.

Chris 16409
04-03-2019, 12:40 AM
Here is the check valve:

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=85394&catid=956

It's the one I use and I believe it is the same one DMC uses.