PDA

View Full Version : Bttf elorean build files

jamesvnz
09-28-2014, 11:03 PM
hi does anyone have a cad file with measurements or details of what parts are needed for a build? (exterior) i have herd of a cad file somewhere on the net.

if you can help that would be great OH and i meant Delorean! in the posting title :-)

Shep
09-29-2014, 11:57 AM
hi does anyone have a cad file with measurements or details of what parts are needed for a build? (exterior) i have herd of a cad file somewhere on the net.

if you can help that would be great OH and i meant Delorean! in the posting title :-)Seeing as this is an open-ended question that I suspect a few might try to start a flame war over (at least, it's happened in the past -- don't worry, it's nothing you did! :) ), I'll just list a few bullet points of interest:

- There were multiple DeLoreans used in filming and no two DeLoreans are identical for a variety of reasons (from purposes of the build to simple mistakes being made), so trying to find one single measurement won't get you what you're looking for.

- If you're looking for a "general consensus" spec on what a good movie car should look like, the important thing to keep in mind is that there is no "general consensus". Every BTTF replica is personalized to some extent. Most notably, some of the rear vents are bare metal, others are painted black. Some go for BTTF2 with Mr. Fusion, others prefer BTTF3 with the 1885 look, others want the "mall scene" DeLorean, etc.

- With all that in mind, Gary Weaver (who some will condescendingly tell you is not too big on pinpoint accuracy, but this is not a universal truth) has in the past shared CAD files of his replica build. I do not recall offhand where they are, but will try to find them for you -- I've come across them before, that much I do know! While he has the entire car, many have since argued it's not 100% movie accurate (more like 90% to 95%, but still, it's more than enough to get you started!). Seeing as you're in New Zealand, I doubt accuracy matters as much to you, so these would be the ones to go for.

Best of luck to you -- don't know of any Austrailian BTTF conversions yet! :thumbup: I'll keep you posted on the CAD files! :)

EDIT: Well look at that, right here on DMCTalk: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?7632-Wanting-to-destroy-your-DMC-Here-is-a-good-place-to-start

DMCMW Dave
09-29-2014, 03:49 PM
I know of at least two Aussie BTTF conversions, although Australia is not New Zealand .

Sent from phone

Shep
09-29-2014, 03:54 PM
Australia is not New Zealand.Thanks Dave, meant New Zealand, not Austrailia. Gotta proofread better apparently ;)

Brisfx
09-30-2014, 01:53 AM
There is a very good BTTF conversion taking place in Auckland NZ curently :)

jamesvnz
09-30-2014, 06:12 AM
Thanks Shep and brisfx for the replys

I am aware of one in Auckland,

I like the BTTF2 version delorean. I have just been thinking about doing the rear section vents with the mr fusion. I have some interior props that I was very lucky to get 1 month ago that were made by Bruce Coulombe at CEI in 2002. time circuits,flux cap, plutonium gauges and drive switch and static sid display.

not a full interior conversion but i am happy with it. just thinking about doing the exterior (well some of it). thanks for the info regards james.:smile:

Shep
09-30-2014, 07:36 AM
That's the route I've been taking as well, with a 21st century twist. Keeping it 100% reversible but doing the more prominent parts of the BTTF time machine (vents, flux capacitor, looking into flux band and Mr Fusion options too), and making the remainder of it modern. I actually used the Gary Weaver vent measurements when I made mine, tweaked a bit for both personal preference and to let it sit on the louvers instead of removing the louvers. Not sure how yours will turn out, but by all means, document the process and keep us all posted!!! :biggrin:

Nicholas R
09-30-2014, 09:57 PM
There is a very good BTTF conversion taking place in Auckland NZ curently :)

Is that Nathan's? Nathan's LS2 time machine is certainly going to be the worlds fastest time machine :biggrin:

SIMid
09-30-2014, 10:24 PM
I know of at least two Aussie BTTF conversions, although Australia is not New Zealand .

3 from my last count. One that has been floating around for the past 6+ years now.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/555483/great-scott-time-travelling-visitor-in-ballarat/

All versions happening at the same time with this one.

Citizen
10-02-2014, 08:34 PM
3 from my last count. One that has been floating around for the past 6+ years now.

Don't mean to stick my nose in a other's conversation, or hijack the thread but...any way to find out the VINs of the three cars in Australia and New Zealand? I'm trying to keep track of conversions, and I only have one listed (6380 in Brisbane).

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

SIMid
10-06-2014, 11:32 PM
Don't mean to stick my nose in a other's conversation, or hijack the thread but...any way to find out the VINs of the three cars in Australia and New Zealand? I'm trying to keep track of conversions, and I only have one listed (6380 in Brisbane).

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

Australia - New South Wales
http://ozdelorean.com.au/htm/delorean_owners/australia/new_south_wales/clark_nathan/clark_nathan.html

Australia - Queensland
http://ozdelorean.com.au/htm/delorean_owners/australia/queensland/gaffy_brad/gaffy_brad.html

Australia - Victoria
VIN: 07003

Not sure about New Zealand.

Check out:
http://ozdelorean.com.au/

Coulombe
11-04-2014, 06:08 AM
To bump thread back on track..... Email me, I'd be happy to email you a copy of my CAD's (in dxf format) for the DTM Steam Exhaust Vents. It's the least I can do for someone who purchased my eleven year old or older type props. WWYT!!

I also have a set of exhaust vent plates that are not quite screen accurate I made years ago (not assembled/welded) I'd be willing to sell for my out of pocket expense on the aluminum and to have waterjet cut plus shipping. Email me either way and I'll get you set up. [email protected]

ALEXAKOS
11-05-2014, 02:51 PM
To bump thread back on track..... Email me, I'd be happy to email you a copy of my CAD's (in dxf format) for the DTM Steam Exhaust Vents. It's the least I can do for someone who purchased my eleven year old or older type props. WWYT!!

I also have a set of exhaust vent plates that are not quite screen accurate I made years ago (not assembled/welded) I'd be willing to sell for my out of pocket expense on the aluminum and to have waterjet cut plus shipping. Email me either way and I'll get you set up. [email protected]

Sorry for the off topic.
Bruce, haven't received an offer/reply in 12 days now after 3 emails and 2 PM's. Please check spam folder in case they are sent there. Thanx

jamesvnz
11-13-2014, 01:53 AM

thanks bruce for replying to my thread i will be in touch thats very nice of you

Andy
11-13-2014, 02:43 AM
Australia - New South Wales
http://ozdelorean.com.au/htm/delorean_owners/australia/new_south_wales/clark_nathan/clark_nathan.html

VIN in the title is the wrong one ( #592 ), the one in the picture is the right one ( #5092 ) ....

Coulombe
11-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Sorry for the off topic.
Bruce, haven't received an offer/reply in 12 days now after 3 emails and 2 PM's. Please check spam folder in case they are sent there. Thanx

I apologize, we've been very busy with out of town videos, builds in their final stages and many projects and yes, your emails have been going into my promotional account.

I've sent you the DXF drawings and will get back to you on the vent plates as soon as I have had a chance to unbury them. Should be by the end of this month.

Thanks