PDA

View Full Version : How is DMCTalk Funded?

DavidProehl
10-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Perhaps a dumb question, but how does DMCTalk stay online? Is Tamir paying for all the hosting himself? Does someone own a hosting company that is donating space? There aren't any ads here, there is no paid ultra membership level, and I've never seen anyone ask for donations.

Whoever is paying for it, however large or small the amount is per month, just want to say thanks!

Dangermouse
10-07-2014, 05:35 PM
My understanding has always been that it is 100% Tamir.

Thanks from me too.

SS Spoiler
10-07-2014, 07:09 PM
More than willing to chip in, this site is invaluable!

Paul Cerny #2691
Kalispell, MT

DavidProehl
10-08-2014, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the responses! That is what I figured, this is quite the service to the community!

ALEXAKOS
10-08-2014, 12:55 PM
I was also wondering if advertisements would be welcome or do .org sites stand for non profit?

elfking
10-08-2014, 01:53 PM
Yes thank you to whomever is handling its hosting.. if ever it becomes a problem please don't hesitate to ask I do have some resources and data center access. :8ball:

acaciolo
10-08-2014, 02:19 PM
i'd like to see some type of donation system. "supporter" "lifetime supporter" etc....

Dangermouse
10-08-2014, 03:48 PM
It was offered/discussed before but I think Tamir wants to keep it completely independent.

That's my recollection anyway. Plenty of folks would be willing to help out.

Parzval
10-08-2014, 04:39 PM
I was also wondering if advertisements would be welcome or do .org sites stand for non profit?

I do believe originally .org sites needed to be non-profit. But this is no longer the case (i.e. craigslist.org). I am also a member in a van club and we have an .org domain as well. And that club is non-profit.

That being said I totally appreciate the nature of this site. It is clean, easy to use, uncluttered with ads, and though I have only been snooping around here a week or two it seems very friendly. Thank you Tamir!

ccurzio
10-10-2014, 11:04 AM
I do believe originally .org sites needed to be non-profit.

Non-profit or non-commercial.

Tamir A.
10-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Yes, I fund it, and I appreciate the offers for financial help, but it is a cost I gladly accept to ensure the independent discussion of the DeLorean marque active. I've never had any interest in ads on this or EnterMyWorld.

My thanks to previous and current moderators and administrators for their valuable time in contributing to the site. That is where the real sweat and effort goes into.

T.

RammJaeger
10-14-2014, 07:48 AM
Yes, I fund it, and I appreciate the offers for financial help, but it is a cost I gladly accept to ensure the independent discussion of the DeLorean marque active. I've never had any interest in ads on this or EnterMyWorld.

My thanks to previous and current moderators and administrators for their valuable time in contributing to the site. That is where the real sweat and effort goes into.

T.

Thank you for covering the cost of the site Tamir!

SS Spoiler
10-14-2014, 09:19 AM
1 Tamir, how come only 264 posts?

2 Curious about cost, who do you pay, and how much.

Tamir A.
10-14-2014, 10:54 AM
If I have something to contribute I post, other than that I stay in the background. Cost is in the forum software and monthly hosting fees. All of the mods and administrators volunteer their own time and sweat into keeping the site organized and attempt to keep civility when arguments break out.

1 Tamir, how come only 264 posts?

2 Curious about cost, who do you pay, and how much.

Nicholas R
10-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Any plans to update entermyworld? Don't get me wrong, I love the site and it's got some really awesome information including really cool historical stuff, just seems like it has been updated in a while (8 years or so). A lot of cool stuff has happened in that time! You have a knack for finding really cool stuff so I'm sure whatever you post would be awesome! :thumbup:

Tamir A.
10-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Probably not. I dedicated a lot of time building that site during a time in my life that I could devote that kind of energy to it. If I have things to share, I'll do so on this forum.

Any plans to update entermyworld? Don't get me wrong, I love the site and it's got some really awesome information including really cool historical stuff, just seems like it has been updated in a while (8 years or so). A lot of cool stuff has happened in that time! You have a knack for finding really cool stuff so I'm sure whatever you post would be awesome! :thumbup: