PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Where did you get your fuel pump?

AugustneverEnds
10-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Starting to shop around for a fuel pump. Was curious to see where everyone bought theirs from, how they like it and how it has been performing. Gracias!

ccurzio
10-12-2014, 01:30 PM
I recommend the new pump/sender combo unit from DMC. They seem to have hammered out the issues with the check valve, and otherwise the pump works great.

dn010
10-13-2014, 10:07 AM
I got tired of spending lots of money on pumps that would last a short time as well as the shipping to get them. So, years ago I asked the same question. One of the responses was to search the term "909 fuel pump" on ebay. I did just that, and found a "Hayg OEM inline fuel pump 058025490" for $49.95 with free shipping. That was 2 years ago, it is still in operation to this day.

I only got a few responses, but if you want to see it, my post can be found here:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3065-Fuel-pumps

AugustneverEnds
10-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Thank you gentlemen! Looks like plenty of options available and pretty cheap too.... Can't ask for better

Domi
10-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Looks like John sale a new unit, like the DMCH one, but cheaper and improved:
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/fuel-injection.html

Bitsyncmaster
10-13-2014, 03:43 PM
I have not been looking at John's web site. That pump looks interesting. I also see he has a "fuel pump saver" which looks like new wiring and a 70 amp relay for the fuel pump (wonder if that black wire bypasses the inertia switch).

lindbergh
10-13-2014, 04:38 PM
I recommend the new pump/sender combo unit from DMC. They seem to have hammered out the issues with the check valve, and otherwise the pump works great.

+1, although I have put an inline check valve just to make sure, but I was not having a problem.

Denverdelorean
10-13-2014, 04:38 PM
I have the full "old" hervey setup. He hadn't released the new one yet. The old version works well and is quieter than stock. I feel like it 'runs out of gas" a little sooner going up hill as the baffle is moved further forward in the tank. but that isn't really a problem unless you really push it. I just didn't have a gas gauge fora while and i sputtered a bit with what sounded like a lot of gas in there.

Andrew
10-13-2014, 05:45 PM
In 4194 I've been running one of Hervey's standard K-Jet pumps since 2005 without any problems. In fact it has outlasted the other 3 pumps from various other sources combined. I can't speak to the new sender /pump combo.

In 5052 I'm running an Airtex 1436 mechanical fuel pump bolted directly to the stock DMC engine. (Obviously this pump can only be used in a carb application.)

Chris 16409
10-15-2014, 11:21 PM
Here is a picture of John's pump. I am interested. Who wants to be the guinea pig?

Ryan King
10-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Here is a picture of John's pump. I am interested. Who wants to be the guinea pig?

It looks pretty good, and for that price!

lindbergh
10-17-2014, 06:06 AM
Not me, the connector looks different. The PO used his old setup requiring cutting off the OEM plug, so when I went to DMCH setup I had to get another plug from DMCH and solder it back on. I'm done with changing out the OEM connector unless there is no other choice.

AgentDL
10-28-2014, 06:44 PM
Reviving this thread as I am now in the market for a new fuel pump. Have confirmed that mine is toast.

Is replacing the fuel pump pretty straightforward or is there anything I need to look out for? Would like to get a pump only, not the $400 DMC combo unit.

Delorean Industries
10-28-2014, 07:23 PM
Since we are no longer selling this style pump here is the source for the factory style configuration.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hayg-Orig-Inline-Fuel-Pump-0-580-254-909-0580254909-New-/320636928496?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa77341f0&vxp=mtr

The price "fluctuates" on this rather frequently. Most recently it was available from this very seller for 49.00. Shop around and find someone on ebay you "trust" to work with.

David T
10-28-2014, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=DPI JOSH;160054]Since we are no longer selling this style pump here is the source for the factory style configuration.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hayg-Orig-Inline-Fuel-Pump-0-580-254-909-0580254909-New-/320636928496?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa77341f0&vxp=mtr

The price "fluctuates" on this rather frequently. Most recently it was available from this very seller for 49.00. Shop around and find someone on ebay you "trust" to work with.[/QUOTE

The "original" pump is a Bosch part. Many of the Bosch parts are now made by other than the original manufacturers and the quality is not what it used to be. What this means is although the pumps may be cheaper and LOOK like the original you can expect that it won't last as long. IMHO one of the biggest reasons why pumps fail (besides age and stale fuel) is a kinked or collapsed pick-up hose. If that hose kinks, collapses, or is torn the pump is no longer cooled or lubricated by fuel causing it to wear quickly. You have to be very careful when installing the pump to index it so the hose won't kink. If it is soft put a spring inside to prevent it from collapsing under vacuum. The pump moves a LOT of fuel and if the hose is soft or the filter is dirty it can suck that hose flat.

Delorean Industries
10-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Here is our solution Dave. With walbro pick up.

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/fuel-pick-up-system-in-tank/

AugustneverEnds
10-29-2014, 01:59 AM
[QUOTE=DPI JOSH;160054]Since we are no longer selling this style pump here is the source for the factory style configuration.

The price "fluctuates" on this rather frequently. Most recently it was available from this very seller for 49.00. Shop around and find someone on ebay you "trust" to work with.[/QUOTE

The "original" pump is a Bosch part. Many of the Bosch parts are now made by other than the original manufacturers and the quality is not what it used to be. What this means is although the pumps may be cheaper and LOOK like the original you can expect that it won't last as long. IMHO one of the biggest reasons why pumps fail (besides age and stale fuel) is a kinked or collapsed pick-up hose. If that hose kinks, collapses, or is torn the pump is no longer cooled or lubricated by fuel causing it to wear quickly. You have to be very careful when installing the pump to index it so the hose won't kink. If it is soft put a spring inside to prevent it from collapsing under vacuum. The pump moves a LOT of fuel and if the hose is soft or the filter is dirty it can suck that hose flat.

Does anyone know of any sources that still carry genuine Bosch pumps? Never had anything but Bosch in my 1988 BMW and never have suffered as much as a hiccup. Kind of like to stick with what I know

AgentDL
10-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Since we are no longer selling this style pump here is the source for the factory style configuration.

The price "fluctuates" on this rather frequently. Most recently it was available from this very seller for 49.00. Shop around and find someone on ebay you "trust" to work with.
Hey Josh, any idea why the compatibility function on eBay says that this pump is NOT compatible with the DMC?

Also, I found this one for $49.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-INLINE-FUEL-PUMP-BOSCH-0580254909-GCL604-EXTERNAL-/161133250327

Look kosher to you? If so, I'm going to give it a try.

AgentDL
10-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Here is our solution Dave. With walbro pick up.

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/fuel-pick-up-system-in-tank/

Also due to concerns I'm hearing about the hose kinking or flattening, this is probably worth the investment?

BABIS
10-29-2014, 11:24 AM

Josh when will DPI present the new pump? ;)

dn010
10-29-2014, 04:23 PM
If you were to look at page 1 of this thread, you'd see that I have already suggested, and have been using this pump for years with no issues...

Hey Josh, any idea why the compatibility function on eBay says that this pump is NOT compatible with the DMC?

Also, I found this one for $49.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-INLINE-FUEL-PUMP-BOSCH-0580254909-GCL604-EXTERNAL-/161133250327

Bitsyncmaster
10-29-2014, 05:01 PM

That Ebay add makes you think your buying a Bosch pump.

Brand: Carter

dn010
10-29-2014, 05:40 PM
I guess it is too late for me to amend my response. What I was meaning as far as "I have been using this pump for years", I was referring to the "Hayg" pump that Josh had originally posted. I am shocked it is now at $99 since I got mine for $49, but as it was already stated - I guess these fluctuate. I would not suggest trying the GCL604 pump posted, it looks like it has the typical Volvo pump with the push on connector, not the Delorean one that the connector is clamped down by a nut.

If you want to try the Hayg pump, I would suggest adding it to your watch list and waiting for a price drop.

n29we
10-30-2014, 06:54 AM
Just installed the DMC pump/sender unit this past weekend. Easy to follow instructions, installed without issues and I now have a working fuel gauge!! Love it!! JimO

AgentDL
11-18-2014, 08:26 AM
IMHO one of the biggest reasons why pumps fail (besides age and stale fuel) is a kinked or collapsed pick-up hose. If that hose kinks, collapses, or is torn the pump is no longer cooled or lubricated by fuel causing it to wear quickly. You have to be very careful when installing the pump to index it so the hose won't kink. If it is soft put a spring inside to prevent it from collapsing under vacuum. The pump moves a LOT of fuel and if the hose is soft or the filter is dirty it can suck that hose flat.

Just successfully installed the Hayg pump last night and got the car up and running! So happy to hear that engine rev after it's been sitting dead for almost four weeks!

Question about the hose concerns: My pickup hose appeared to be firm and in very good condition. When I installed the new pump, I made sure to position the hose in a way that would avoid it kinking... But if it DOES kink, how long would it take before it becomes an issue? Is it something where if I sit and rev the engine for 10 minutes or so with no issues, I can consider it A-OK, or do I need to check it after driving for a week or two?

Now that I've had my first breakdown, I'm a little paranoid about getting stranded in the car. Lost sleep last night thinking about whether I tightened all of the hose clamps and nuts well enough!

dn010
11-18-2014, 09:18 AM
If you have the harder version of the hose and you were careful to install it, I'd say you don't need to worry about it further. If you want to check it in a week, you can but what is to say you install it correctly the second time? The only way to know if it is kinking is to check it every time but that seems a bit over the top? How long before you have issues is dependent on how bad the kink is.

Getting stranded in your car is rough, personally it takes me a few weeks driving after a breakdown to gain my faith back. Breaking down in a boat...different story...

Just successfully installed the Hayg pump last night and got the car up and running! So happy to hear that engine rev after it's been sitting dead for almost four weeks!

Question about the hose concerns: My pickup hose appeared to be firm and in very good condition. When I installed the new pump, I made sure to position the hose in a way that would avoid it kinking... But if it DOES kink, how long would it take before it becomes an issue? Is it something where if I sit and rev the engine for 10 minutes or so with no issues, I can consider it A-OK, or do I need to check it after driving for a week or two?

Now that I've had my first breakdown, I'm a little paranoid about getting stranded in the car. Lost sleep last night thinking about whether I tightened all of the hose clamps and nuts well enough!