PDA

View Full Version : Fuel For the first time DeLorean won't start when cold

Lenny
11-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Aaaarrrrggggghhhhhhh
I've been reading about different problems people have had with their car not starting and could never understand it. For the first time since I got the car it won't start.

I had it serviced a couple weeks ago and drove home. I stopped to see my daughter and when I went out about three hours later it wouldn't start. I cranked it for what seemed like 20 minutes and it finally started to sputter. Another couple of times and it clicked over and ran real rough. Before it stalled I took off and drove home.I drove home without a problem then parked in the garage and forgot about it.

Just now I went out and tried to started It but, it just turns over a doesn't try to start.

Could something of been disconnected during the service? It's weird that it just happened all of a sudden.

Bitsyncmaster
11-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Aaaarrrrggggghhhhhhh
I've been reading about different problems people have had with their car not starting and could never understand it. For the first time since I got the car it won't start.

I had it serviced a couple weeks ago and drove home. I stopped to see my daughter and when I went out about three hours later it wouldn't start. I cranked it for what seemed like 20 minutes and it finally started to sputter. Another couple of times and it clicked over and ran real rough. Before it stalled I took off and drove home.I drove home without a problem then parked in the garage and forgot about it.

Just now I went out and tried to started It but, it just turns over a doesn't try to start.

Could something of been disconnected during the service? It's weird that it just happened all of a sudden.

What service did you have done?

Lenny
11-16-2014, 03:58 PM
What service did you have done?

Flushed cooling system, replaced a couple of hoses, oil change, replaced angle drive.

Lenny
11-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Flushed cooling system, replaced a couple of hoses, oil change, replaced angle drive.

Forgot one thing. they also replaced the 40 AMP AC speed 3&4 breaker.

Could something in there be disconnected?

Stainless
11-16-2014, 04:55 PM
How old is your thermotime switch? If it doesn't start when cold, but eventually does after enough time of trying, it sounds like a bad thermotime switch. Mine would do this same thing when it was cold. The switch goes bad and doesn't tell system to give it more fuel to help with a cold start. This results in similar behavior that you've described. You might want to look into that as being a possibility.

Bitsyncmaster
11-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Does not sound like that work should have disconnected anything as long as your starter motor is cranking the engine normally.

There are some connections that can go bad with age that can cause starting problems.

Most common are those resistor wires (connectors). Clean and check they are tight.

The two pin connector from the ignition distributor is another prone to oxidation. Mine was so bad I just cut it off and spliced the wires. (shielded wire there)

If the fuel mixture was not adjusted, I don't think fuel is your problem. Now if it was summer and 100 degrees than that 3 hour hard start could be a fuel problem.

Lenny
11-16-2014, 05:13 PM
This happened in one day. I got up at 4:30 AM started the car drove 2.5 hours, dropped it off then drove it to my daughters and it didn't start 16 hours total.