PDA

View Full Version : General Replacing hood cable.

Petey
11-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Hi all,

My hood cable got pretty ratty and popped off the handle. It's pretty freed and crappy looking so I was thinking of replacing it. I noticed they don't cost too much on the Delorean site but shipping is crazy to Melbourne. Just wondering if there's an alternative part I could buy out here that might fit. Someone mentioned a clutch cable cut to length. Would that work?

Thanks
Pete

Josh
11-18-2014, 07:44 PM
The cables in our cars (throttle, trunk, engine cover) can be sourced to bicycle parts. I replaced my throttle cable with a tandem bicycle brake cable haha.
Since your willing to get creative you can make something work. A clutch cable would be pretty heavy for the hood cable. Not to mention you would have to figure out what car you are going to use it from.

mluder
11-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Yep... I replaced mine with a bicycle brake cable (or it might have been a shifter cable). I bought it raw - didn't have the sheath around it. I think it was around $10.

Rich
11-19-2014, 12:09 AM
Yep... I replaced mine with a bicycle brake cable (or it might have been a shifter cable). I bought it raw - didn't have the sheath around it. I think it was around $10.

+1

Did the same thing. Any decent bike shop will have 3 or 4 types to choose from.

Cut at handle, pull the old frayed one out from the latch end, leaving the sheath in place. Take old cable to a bike shop to find one with similar ball/disc end, diameter.

Push the new one into the latch and sheath, then tighten it into the handle fitting. The hardest part is cutting off the excess length. Make sure that is your last step.

DMC-81
11-19-2014, 07:51 AM
Here is the cable that I got for my back up. Stainless Steel, 6ft, $4, same diameter. The OEM cable is approximately 34"long, so make sure you get at least that length.

Petey
11-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Awesome, thanks!
That sounds pretty straightforward. I read a little about people putting in two cables or something? One for a backup. Is that something everyone does?

Thanks
Pete

Josh
11-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Awesome, thanks!
That sounds pretty straightforward. I read a little about people putting in two cables or something? One for a backup. Is that something everyone does?

Thanks
Pete

It is a good idea. Because if it snaps you are disassembling your car to get into the trunk!

lindbergh
11-20-2014, 07:46 PM
It is a good idea. Because if it snaps you are disassembling your car to get into the trunk!

You don't have to disassemble the car. Make this tool and leave it in the car. Practicing before it breaks might be a good idea though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBqocO2zRpk

DMC-81
11-20-2014, 10:51 PM
Awesome, thanks!

Thanks
Pete

You're welcome. I am sure that there are various opinions on installing a back up. Here is one thread http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10847-Hood-backup-cable. For me, $4 and 10 minutes of your time to install it is cheap insurance against a broken cable.

Cheers,

Josh
11-21-2014, 09:07 AM
You don't have to disassemble the car. Make this tool and leave it in the car. Practicing before it breaks might be a good idea though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBqocO2zRpk

I knew someone would chime in with this. Practicing before it breaks seems silly when you could just put in a backup cable.

David T
11-21-2014, 10:08 AM
I knew someone would chime in with this. Practicing before it breaks seems silly when you could just put in a backup cable.

Actually it is not as silly as it sounds. Practicing will allow you to open someone else's car when THEY don't have a back-up cable! But you are right, it is much better to have one. If you make inspecting that cable part of your annual inspection you should see a problem long before you break it.

lindbergh
11-21-2014, 10:56 AM
I just wanted to make sure people know you do NOT have to disassemble the car as someone suggested to get in a locked trunk with a broken cable. That sounds silly to me.

SIMid
11-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Lucky I have Wings-A-Loft with Trunk release. :)

BTW Petey, we never met yet!

skill
11-28-2014, 04:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBqocO2zRpk I did make this tool as I was a victim of being locked out (the cable snapped on a pull). I made it using a bucket's handle and some duct-tape and worked fine. If you cannot make one and or just need one to borrow I can lend it out you just need to pay the shipping, US only, and ship it back to me. PM me if you are ever locked out of the hood (cuz it sucks)! Yo! :)

refugeefromcalif
11-28-2014, 05:06 PM
I lucked out when my hood cable broke at the handle.
There was around 3/8" left so I was able to use vice grips until I could get a replacement cable from DMCMW.
The only issue I had installing the new cable was the nut. I gave it that "Last little turn" that broke the bolt. :dead:
I was able to drill a hole in a new bolt and install it though.

George