PDA

View Full Version : DeLorean Dealership Sign Hanging

Grover
12-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Looking to hang my dealership sign in my garage. Has anyone else hung theirs and if so how? Is the angle iron inside strong enough to wrap a chain around and hang even though they are connected though what looks like rivets?

Any help/suggestions would be great! Thanks!

DMCMW Dave
12-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Looking to hang my dealership sign in my garage. Has anyone else hung theirs and if so how? Is the angle iron inside strong enough to wrap a chain around and hang even though they are connected though what looks like rivets?

The sign is actually mean to be bolted to a base from underneath, into 8 tapped holes. There are welded frame bars across the top that will easily hang the sign from chains but you need to leave the sheet metal top off the sign.

The structure is all heavy aluminum angle welded into a frame, with the outer skins riveted in place. It's meant to be outdoors on top of a pole in the wind and rain so it is very sturdily built. Changing the bulbs is a real pain as only the top and side panels are designed to be easily removable.

There are riveted bars at the top which suspend the light bulbs, but they are very weak.

I had one hanging from the top with chains as described for 5 years in the shop.

Grover
12-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Dave,

Thank you so much for telling me that the inside frame is actually welded (it was late last night and I couldn't tell). I went that route...

The sign is actually mean to be bolted to a base from underneath, into 8 tapped holes. There are welded frame bars across the top that will easily hang the sign from chains but you need to leave the sheet metal top off the sign.

The structure is all heavy aluminum angle welded into a frame, with the outer skins riveted in place. It's meant to be outdoors on top of a pole in the wind and rain so it is very sturdily built. Changing the bulbs is a real pain as only the top and side panels are designed to be easily removable.

There are riveted bars at the top which suspend the light bulbs, but they are very weak.

I had one hanging from the top with chains as described for 5 years in the shop.