PDA

View Full Version : Renting out a DeLorean

Timebender
12-12-2014, 06:51 PM
I did a search but basically found nothing. I'm considering renting my DeLorean once I get it for photo shoots, commercials, etc. Does anyone else here do that, and if so, plusses and minuses, what you charge for a day rate, etc.

Thanks!

Greg

sdg3205
12-12-2014, 07:56 PM
I did a search but basically found nothing. I'm considering renting my DeLorean once I get it for photo shoots, commercials, etc. Does anyone else here do that, and if so, plusses and minuses, what you charge for a day rate, etc.

Thanks!

Greg

I do (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-entertainment/vancouver/delorean-for-hire/1038739688?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true). I adjust the price based on risk and time.

Make sure you have coverage. Some collector programs do not permit commercial use of the vehicle.

When I'm unsure, I ask clients to sign a waiver.

Agree on terms in advance (i.e. is sitting inside allowed?)

Never permit others to drive the car.

Always, 110% supervised.

Agree ahead of time on a "early termination" clause, where if you see an event going south, you can leave for the safety of yourself and your vehicle.

Approach every situation, event or rental as new and unknown and therefore with extreme caution. No two events are the same, nor are the people that show up.

David T
12-12-2014, 08:45 PM
I do (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-entertainment/vancouver/delorean-for-hire/1038739688?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true). I adjust the price based on risk and time.

Make sure you have coverage. Some collector programs do not permit commercial use of the vehicle.

When I'm unsure, I ask clients to sign a waiver.

Agree on terms in advance (i.e. is sitting inside allowed?)

Never permit others to drive the car.

Always, 110% supervised.

Agree ahead of time on a "early termination" clause, where if you see an event going south, you can leave for the safety of yourself and your vehicle.

Approach every situation, event or rental as new and unknown and therefore with extreme caution. No two events are the same, nor are the people that show up.

There are "brokers" that you can list your car with. If someone needs a car they look up the brokers to have them find what they are looking for. Your insurance typically will not cover commercial uses so whoever rents the car must give you a "Certificate of Insurance". If it is a legitimate production company they will have no problem doing it. In most cases they provide transportation for 2 reasons. One, they expect the car with no damage and two, they control the time it arrives. Fees are based on how long they use the car and what they do. Static vs moving, touching, sitting inside, etc. My typical fee is $500 for an 8 hour day, I accompany the car, I get fed along with the crew. I also get a copy of whatever they do for personal use. They provide insurance and usually transportation. I have been in videos, commercials, weddings, and special events. It is usually a LOT of fun. You can see my car on Good Morning America, look up "Laura Spencer Rides a Delorean" on YouTube. It was filmed in Times Square outside the studio.

whocruiser
12-15-2014, 12:09 AM
David is right that it can be a lot of fun, as well as making a few bucks on the side for the maintenance fund. You could end up with some special memories, and some awesome pics and/or vids to show people. My old quarter-million mile car, VIN1662, was featured on a few local TV news segments, was in some comical PBS fund raising videos shot with cast members of the TV series "Doctor Who", and was even the central prop for a Playboy model shoot. My current, much lower mileage & much better condition car VIN1150 (which is currently available for sale in the Cars For Sale thread here, hint, hint...) has also been in a number of professional & semi-pro video shoots, including the Maclemore "Thrift Shop" parody song "Pot Shop" with over 14 million views on YouTube, where if you know where to look in one scene, you can see me dancing next to the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znpt_Umixcs

MML
12-15-2014, 05:26 AM
...and was even the central prop for a Playboy model shoot.

Sorry, but we just can't take your word for it. You're going to have to provide lots of detailed photographic evidence to back up a claim like that.

:P

Timebender
12-15-2014, 05:41 PM
David is right that it can be a lot of fun, as well as making a few bucks on the side for the maintenance fund. You could end up with some special memories, and some awesome pics and/or vids to show people. My old quarter-million mile car, VIN1662, was featured on a few local TV news segments, was in some comical PBS fund raising videos shot with cast members of the TV series "Doctor Who", and was even the central prop for a Playboy model shoot. My current, much lower mileage & much better condition car VIN1150 (which is currently available for sale in the Cars For Sale thread here, hint, hint...) has also been in a number of professional & semi-pro video shoots, including the Maclemore "Thrift Shop" parody song "Pot Shop" with over 14 million views on YouTube, where if you know where to look in one scene, you can see me dancing next to the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znpt_Umixcs

You're the dude with the beard that doesn't look like you belong in the shot... :)

whocruiser
12-16-2014, 08:10 AM
You're the dude with the beard that doesn't look like you belong in the shot... :)

Yup, the guy with no rhythm who's glad that the camera can't quite see down to his two left feet, LOL :wiggle:

whocruiser
12-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Sorry, but we just can't take your word for it. You're going to have to provide lots of detailed photographic evidence to back up a claim like that. :P

That photo shoot was, if I recall correctly, done in September 2009, and was discussed and posted here at the time. Here's a relatively tame watermarked pic from before the swimsuit came off, for those who inevitably argue that without pics, it didn't happen:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9936&d=1335535966

The more revealing shots I don't share on public forums, but if you ask me nicely when you see me in person at a car show or elsewhere, I can probably give you a look :jawdrop:

Lenny
12-16-2014, 10:02 AM
The more revealing shots I don't share on public forums, but if you ask me nicely when you see me in person at a car show or elsewhere, I can probably give you a look :jawdrop:

Have you worn the DeLorean shirt I gave you out of the goodness of my heart? If so I think a good way to thank me would be the "more revealing shots" :deedledee:

Timebender
12-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the responses back from everyone. The next question is, how do you get your cars out there so people know they're available for shoots, events, etc? Craigslist, a broker, a website that you hope someone will find??

Dangermouse
12-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Stick some magnetic signs on the side of the car saying "DeLorean for Rent" or "Call me for a Good Time Travel"

:facepalm:

SS Spoiler
12-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Good luck with that.....

Dangermouse
12-16-2014, 02:45 PM
Indeed.

hence the facepalm :facepalm:

MML
12-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Indeed.

hence the facepalm :facepalm:

Yeah, everyone knows magnets don't stick to aluminum! :8ball:

Dangermouse
12-16-2014, 05:27 PM
I've told this story before, but my PO bought some magnetic signs to stick on the car when it was parked outside his Irish pub to advertize St Patrick's day..........

months later it was still parked there, which is how I saw it and came to buy it.

Timebender
12-16-2014, 06:09 PM
And this has gone off track.
Seriously though, what do those of you do who DO rent out your DeLorean's, SUCCESSFULLY, do? (yes, that is a lot of "do's")

sdg3205
12-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Seriously though, what do those of you do who DO rent out your DeLorean's, SUCCESSFULLY, do? (yes, that is a lot of "do's")

Hey Greg,

I'm not sure what you're asking. I answered you in my first post above in terms of how to go about renting it. I included a link to my ad. Did you take a look?

If you're asking what do we do in terms of what type of events, the answer is anything deemed appropriate. I just got a request for a New Year's Eve gig, and if the price is right and the proper safeguards are in place, I'll do it.

Let me know if you need any specific information.

David T
12-16-2014, 10:15 PM

Think about it from the other side. When a production company needs a car or other prop they look up brokers who have the stuff. Look up car brokers in your area. Not the ones that sell cars, the ones who rent them out for special events.

Timebender
12-17-2014, 01:16 AM
I must have missed the part about the ad... My fault. Also, been talking to some car brokers but the closest are in LA. I'm not opposed to anything there, but that's a long haul from San Diego - though I'm guessing they get calls for cars down here too. I'll be calling some more soon, already talked to a couple but almost all their jobs are in LA and surrounding areas.

Bruce Johnson
04-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Does anyone have a standard contract/rental agreement that you use or is it just a boilerplate auto rental agreement with provisions as to what clients can and cannot do with the car?

David T
04-17-2015, 03:37 PM
Does anyone have a standard contract/rental agreement that you use or is it just a boilerplate auto rental agreement with provisions as to what clients can and cannot do with the car?

Typically you have to use their paperwork because it has already been approved as to form by the production company and the insurance company. If they don't have paperwork you can just make up something simple outlining where, when, what they will be doing, how long, compensation, insurance, transportation, etc. Included in their paperwork is usually some kind of release allowing them to use the images any way they want. All of this should be done in advance so there is no pressure the day of.

Mike C.
04-18-2015, 06:57 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/michael_cole/Miscellaneous%20posts/e86ea49d-585b-42a6-a463-6865abe87db7_zpsexv9vzhc.png

:goatee:

whocruiser
04-18-2015, 11:23 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/michael_cole/Miscellaneous%20posts/e86ea49d-585b-42a6-a463-6865abe87db7_zpsexv9vzhc.png

:goatee:

Ahhh yes, the memories! That music video was shot in Miami about 3 months before the beard & stache I'd had for over 30 years came off as a birthday surprise for my wife. She decided that she likes me without it, so I'm still enjoying the look of surprise on the faces of old friends who see me for the first time sans whiskers, LOL. Heading back down to Miami & The Beach tonight for an informal gig at a friend's bachelor party, chauffeuring the groom & some of the groomsmen around town for a few hours. Gonna keep the parcel shelf clear in case one of the shorter guys is crazy enough to wanna take a brief ride there, LOL. No doubt something will probably show up on Facebook and Instagram by morning...

Timebender
04-26-2015, 09:25 PM
So what do you guys charge for a gig, event or shoot, day rate or half day? I've seen anything from $1000 a day for rare exotics, to guys asking $400 a day for an AC Cobra.

whocruiser
04-26-2015, 11:53 PM
I've taken less on occasion, depending on circumstances, but I generally ask for a "donation to the maintenance & upkeep fund" of $200 for making the appearance, and a further $100 for each hour that I stay on site. If I had to travel outside of my local area for the appearance, I'd also expect to be provided and/or reimbursed for reasonable gas, lodging & meal expenses for the trip, and complimentary admission credentials if needed to attend the event/festival/convention/performance/whatever.

David T
04-27-2015, 10:19 AM
I've taken less on occasion, depending on circumstances, but I generally ask for a "donation to the maintenance & upkeep fund" of $200 for making the appearance, and a further $100 for each hour that I stay on site. If I had to travel outside of my local area for the appearance, I'd also expect to be provided and/or reimbursed for reasonable gas, lodging & meal expenses for the trip, and complimentary admission credentials if needed to attend the event/festival/convention/performance/whatever.

In the NY area, if it is a direct deal (no broker) I get $500 plus they provide insurance, food, and transportation. 1 day static shots. I ask for (and usually get) a copy of the pictures or video.

Timebender
04-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Thanks guys. I've been getting a lot of interest and have been asking the $500 for a day plus fuel and expenses. Good to know I'm not under or over shooting.

cpistocco
09-23-2015, 11:59 AM
I rent my Delorean, as well as some of my other classic / specialty vehicles. www.springgreenautobody.com/gallery/
401 749 7010