PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know The Story On The '81 For Sale At Beverly Hills Car Club??

bxtech
12-17-2014, 07:52 PM
It says it's missing the engine and transmission, and that it's a great car to restore. Looking at the pics, it looks like it doesn't even have a chassis. Looks like it has some homemade steel frame in which they incorporated solid axles so that the car can roll. No steering or anything underneath even though it does have a steering wheel. If you look closely, it has 2 hoisting/lifting rings in the front trunk and in the rear engine compartment. Was this used for some kind of prop or display in which they hoisted it in the air? BTTF Delorean prop that was "flown" in the air?? haha! Weird car.

Check it out:

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com//1981-dmc-delorean--c-3470.htm

1981 DMC DeLorean Coupe, stainless steel with black interior, missing engine and transmission, very collectible, excellent car to restore. For $9,750

Read more: http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com//1981-dmc-delorean--c-3470.htm#ixzz3MCqiS74J

Lightning
12-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Check out this thread.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10737-No-Frame-Delorean-for-sale&highlight=frame

Rich_NYS
12-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Man, that car just keeps popping up for absurd prices.

bxtech
12-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the link. Interesting threads. This car is exactly what I was thinking it was.........essentially a pile of parts and not really a car at all! Definitely not an "excellent car to restore" as mentioned in their ad.

Nicholas R
12-17-2014, 09:55 PM
It's a train wreck; except a car that was hit by a train would probably still hold more value.

I saw it in person when it was for sale here in Orlando for $4500. It's garbage; total and complete garbage. Little able to be or worth saving. The interior is trashed, the panels all have dings, dents, and major scratches, and it doesn't have a Delorean frame (let alone drivetrain, suspension, or any other part that would be on a DeLorean chassis). A guy working at the place where it was said the wheels don't even rotate; they just had to drag/slide the car from place to place when they wanted it moved.

Some poor unknowing person will probably end up buying it not knowing how bad it actually is.

SIMid
12-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Some poor unknowing person will probably end up buying it not knowing how bad it actually is.

And thinking all it needed was an engine and gearbox to get it going.

Jimmyvonviggle
12-17-2014, 10:51 PM
You had me at Beverly Hills Car Club.

bxtech
12-18-2014, 08:58 AM
It's a train wreck; except a car that was hit by a train would probably still hold more value.

I saw it in person when it was for sale here in Orlando for $4500. It's garbage; total and complete garbage. Little able to be or worth saving. The interior is trashed, the panels all have dings, dents, and major scratches, and it doesn't have a Delorean frame (let alone drivetrain, suspension, or any other part that would be on a DeLorean chassis). A guy working at the place where it was said the wheels don't even rotate; they just had to drag/slide the car from place to place when they wanted it moved.

Thanks for the info. I read through the older threads and saw the discussion on these items. Poor car! Unfortunately, it's too expensive to buy and use it for the parts since it's not in that great of shape overall, and it would be too expensive to build and put on the road since it's so incomplete. Essentially it will have to be exactly what one of those previous owners bought it for........a lawn ornament. Too bad this car will never see the open road again!

DMC3165
12-19-2014, 02:36 PM
The A/C fascia looks good. But that's about it. What a disaster.

vps3922
12-19-2014, 04:18 PM
But the trip reset shaft is still good. Totally worth $9k. ;)

Ras12
12-19-2014, 09:31 PM
Seriously...what do people think it's worth? No one bought it at $4500. Maybe $2000? Plus if the purchaser is anywhere out of the area they are looking at between $500-$1000 min. for shipping.

DMC3165
12-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Honestly. It'd be way too expensive to make this a running car again. If someone wanted it for a static display then maybe $1500 and even that's a stretch. If your buying it for parts there's really nothing worth while. A LFF maybe. Then you'd have to repair it, regain it and maybe get $1500 to $2000. And with DMCH selling good used ones for $1000. Good luck. I'm always looking for something to tool around with and I wouldn't touch it for more then $500.

bxtech
12-21-2014, 10:59 PM
If it was for sale at $1500-$2000, I'd be interested. It would definitely be a cool piece of yard art! At the current asking price by BHCC, they are definitely going to sit on that one for awhile!

skill
01-30-2015, 11:57 AM
It's no longer on the beverly hills car cl ub site... Perhaps sold? Man, someone wanted it that bad for that price or what? Anyone catch the VIN on it?

***UPDATE*** Sale is Pending

David T
01-30-2015, 03:44 PM
It's no longer on the beverly hills car cl ub site... Perhaps sold? Man, someone wanted it that bad for that price or what? Anyone catch the VIN on it?

***UPDATE*** Sale is Pending

I would wonder if that bunch of parts even has a vin.

eagle-co94
01-31-2015, 06:42 PM
Yep, it had/has a VIN. The plates can be seen in the pics. It looks like a great option for someone with an accident car that needs little more than a body tub. $4500 was more than the parts were worth separately. I'm guessing someone bought it for a BTTF display. Fingers crossed the buyer finds my rolling chassis I've listed on Craigslist from my parts car. I could also sell them my motor/trans out of 1045 and they'd almost be on the road.