PDA

View Full Version : My first car show

mluder
08-08-2011, 10:07 PM
So... I'mn a relatively new owner... Bought my car in March. I am thinking abou entering it in a local car show.

2011 Rockin' Around the Block in Gresham (near Portland) Oregon.
http://wilkeseastna.org/node/801

It's actually a pretty big event and my DeLorean isnt going to win any awards with the couple of dings here and there and general conditions of a 30 year old car. However, I thought it might be fun for my 4 year old son and I to go anyway. Registration is only $10 so what could it hurt. Besides, I've never seen anything as unique as a DeLorean there and I have seen a couple of newer Mustangs etc. so they take just about anything.

My question is, what sort of stuff should I do to prepare other than clean and shine the car up real nice? Any artifacts or other that I should bring.

I have a pretty extensive collection of the official DeLorean magazine I could bring a few choice issues.

Maybe a spec sheet?

What else?

Steve

Canon20DFan
08-08-2011, 10:48 PM
I take a big bag of stuff to shows (besides a folding chair and a cooler of drinks). In my bag are glass wipes (I use Invisible Glass), tire wipes or tire shine, paper towels, a Sharpie marker (to fill in entry forms) and a box of my picture business cards. I also take a legal pad to write things down on (like the name and address of other car owners I need to remember).

Don't forget the sunscreen!

Michael
08-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Remember to bring a gun...2 hours in the show you will want to blow your brains out.

Bitsyncmaster
08-09-2011, 08:51 AM
You probably will want to bring the wife so you can take a break every so often.

Be prepared to be the hit of the show.

DeLorean03
08-09-2011, 02:30 PM
I'd have some headache pills ready for stupid comments and bttf/cocaine jokes.

mluder
08-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Real helpful, guys. :)

Just kidding... yeah, I expect most of this. My father-in-law once entered his early 70s Chevelle in a car show and he said it was tedious at best.

I'm going in with a fun attitude because I don't take it too seriously. I will clean my car up as best as possible, go over it with some Bar Keepers and plan to hang out. The good new is, I don't have to stay the entire time so I can leave if I get bored or annoyed.

Steve

stevedmc
08-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Don't forget to disconnect the car battery, unless you have replaced your courtesy lights with LEDs.

Just bring some windex, paper towels, a lawn chair, and some money. There will be plenty of food and drink to buy and be prepared to talk to lots of people.

EdR5150
08-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Here's some good FAQ/Spec sheets: http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-Fact%20Sheet.htm

I had one made into a poster at Walgreens, framed it, and leave it on the drivers seat at car shows. It cuts down on the questions, and keeps people from jumping into the drivers seat.

Be ready for lame jokes. Some people use jokes as a way to open a coversation. Others use jokes because they don't think anything of your car.

Farrar
08-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Do you have one of my DeLorean Comment Bingo Cards?

Farrar

Canon20DFan
08-09-2011, 11:11 PM
How big a poster did you make?

Here's some good FAQ/Spec sheets: http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-Fact%20Sheet.htm

I had one made into a poster at Walgreens, framed it, and leave it on the drivers seat at car shows. It cuts down on the questions, and keeps people from jumping into the drivers seat.

Be ready for lame jokes. Some people use jokes as a way to open a coversation. Others use jokes because they don't think anything of your car.

Canon20DFan
08-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Those are hilarious!

Farrar

mluder
08-10-2011, 01:01 AM

Farrar

I do not... but in 6 months time I've probably heard them all.

Steve

EdR5150
08-10-2011, 01:41 PM
I think I chose the 24 X 36 size. Walgreens had a sale or special when I ordered it. I paid around $21 with shipping. They mail it to you, you can't get it in the store, IIRC.
http://photo.walgreens.com/walgreens/photo-gifts/product=posters
People seemed to ignore the FAQs on letter size paper that I would put on my windshield, but they are really drawn to the framed poster. I'll snap a picture of it in my drivers seat later tonight.

How big a poster did you make?

congerz83
08-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Remember to bring a gun...2 hours in the show you will want to blow your brains out.

S**t, isn't that the truth!?! I also reccomend a can of MACE!

Mark D
08-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Don't be too discouraged by the headache pills/blow your brains out comments. While there is definitely some truth in those statements, I generally enjoy taking my car to shows and seeing the smile that it brings to most people's faces. Ive met a lot of other nice classic car owners too and learned a lot about other types of cars besides Deloreans.

I usually bring a couple of hotwheels deloreans to give to any kids that really show an interest in the car. It's amazing how a $1 toy will totally make their day.

Canon20DFan
08-12-2011, 11:50 AM
The Hot Wheels toy is a great idea, if you can find 'em...

mluder
08-16-2011, 04:01 AM

Eddie,

The poster was awesome... I printed the parger size and mounted it to foamcore and put it on the driver's seat. It headed off some of the stupid questions and I even heard a few, "...I didn't know that."

Thanks again. Made me go from just some guy in the parking lot to an actual exhibiter. I will recomend it to others.

BTW you can read more indepth about the experience here if you want... http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?581-Bad-car-show-experiences...&p=13958#post13958

Steve

Canon20DFan
08-16-2011, 10:18 AM
How big did you print the fact sheet? 18x26?

stevedmc
08-16-2011, 12:47 PM
I brought a bunch of fact sheets with me to the last British car show in New Orleans and placed them on the windshield. To my suprise no one took them.

After a while I decided to ad a "Take one" sign with an arrow pointing to the fact sheets. They started flying off the car like hot cakes.

Each one of the fact sheets also had my entry number written in the corner of them. This helped people remember who's car to cast their vote for. If it hadn't been for them remembering my car, Farrar probably would have placed higher than me.

Fact Sheet:
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-Fact%20Sheet.htm

Farrar
08-16-2011, 12:59 PM
If it hadn't been for them remembering my car, Farrar probably would have placed higher than me.

Don't worry; I will definitely not win anything next year.

Farrar

mluder
08-16-2011, 01:40 PM
How big did you print the fact sheet? 18x26?

Ype - 18x26.

I'll upload some pics.

Steve

Here's some photos from the car show in Gresham last weekend.

In the last one you can see the FAQ sheet.

Steve

Canon20DFan
08-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Hey! You don't have eyebrows!

mluder
08-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Hey! You don't have eyebrows!

Not yet, but I'm thinking about adding them. :tongue2:

Steve

SoCalDMC12
08-16-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm amazed at all of the negative comments people have about car shows. I've definitely gotten some ribbing, but generally people at car shows are very cool. Just be prepared to talk a lot, as you'll get tons of questions.

QuadcityDMC
08-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Car shows have been fun for me, I never win anything. After a year and a half of doing them I am getting sick of BTTF jokes. Or the over all miss information people have on the car, or think they are telling me something about the car I don't know already.

Try and join a car club. I joined a British car club.

Chris Burns
08-16-2011, 05:11 PM
VIN 4456 is looking great!