PDA

View Full Version : A cautionary tale for prospective Craigslist car buyers

Dangermouse
01-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Sure, it’s a one-in-a-million-chance story, but still has just happened near to me, and as this is a forum for classic cars such a scenario happens regularly with sketchy D’s listed for sale on Craigslist:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/expert-craigslists-ethos-of-anonymity-leads-to-crime/

TL;DR version – couple looking to buy 66 Mustang, travel to small town to view/buy it. Get robbed and murdered.

skill
01-29-2015, 02:26 PM
It's a very sad case. I've been watching this since it was reported. Their poor daughters and I'm very sorry for their loss. Dad was seeking a dream.

CL should close down that part of their classifieds - it only harbors scum and other dirtbags and or begin the listing fees, but that won't even curb a case like this one.

That's why folks; List and buy from reputable websites and bring back up with you when you out on buying or selling a car - don't matter what it is!

Rich_NYS
01-29-2015, 04:44 PM
bring back up with you when you out on buying or selling a car - don't matter what it is!

+1

Jimmyvonviggle
01-29-2015, 06:13 PM
It's sad, but it can happen to anyone, not just elderly people. You just get caught up,in the excitement of buying an old car (or whatever). You can never let your guard down.

Trstno1
01-31-2015, 02:53 AM
Yeah, this story is sad but unfortunately sometimes bad things happen to good people. With that being said, I absolutely love Craigslist and am a huge proponent of it!! I have purchased and sold quite a bit locally over the years with no issues at all. There is nothing quite like being able to shop and compare price on people's used items. There was actually a point in my life that I would shop Craigslist for items that I could fix up and re-sell for double the money. Although I must admit that usually only ended up with me getting a really good deal on something that I kept.

Though when dealing with people there are a couple of common sense things one must keep in mind.

When you sell something always make sure to meet the potential buyer in some well lit public place. Not only for the security, but also so that the person doesn't know where you live.

When you buy something always make sure to either take other people with you who will wait in the car while you look, or at least make sure someone knows where you are going. I always like to send my wife a link of the Craigslist ad that I am going to just in case something goes south.

If at any point you don't feel comfortable with a meet location or the seller/buyer, make sure to always leave yourself an out. If it doesn't feel right, get out.

After all, I purchased my Delorean off of Craigslist!:rock_on:

eagle-co94
01-31-2015, 01:21 PM
I always meet in a location of my choosing when selling. It's typically a very public place, either an intersection with an open lot and high visibility or a parking lot with cameras.

ssaleen
01-31-2015, 02:36 PM
This story is sad, but I'm wondering if it could of happened to me.
When I sold my Delorean here recently I needed the money for a custody battle and I was gonna buy another saleen with the rest of the money. Long story short, I found a car in Detroit, the guy told me he couldn't take a check, so I sent $9300 cash in the mail 2nd day and he claims he never got it. He says the box was empty. So I get a loan and he still says he can't take a check, so I plan to fly there with cash this time. Well things wernt working out but I called him about 20 times the day before and no answer, I decided to skip out on going, and he never responded on that sat or Sunday, and to this day he has yet to call me to find out where I am. He also said he'd pick me up from the airport.
So who knows, but what I do know is that I should of NEVER sent cash through the mail. Dumb ass move.
I still think I'm gonna call the police or FBI on it.

eagle-co94
01-31-2015, 03:04 PM
I thought this was a joke at first. I'm just stunned you sent cash through the mail. I've been mailed maybe $200 before I was uncomfortable RECEIVING it! You may as well have burned the money as mailing it will probably get you more in return...a pile of ash.

ssaleen
01-31-2015, 03:28 PM
I thought this was a joke at first. I'm just stunned you sent cash through the mail. I've been mailed maybe $200 before I was uncomfortable RECEIVING it! You may as well have burned the money as mailing it will probably get you more in return...a pile of ash.

Yea no kiddin, I agree I shouldn't of done it, but I wanted the car bad, and it was one I have wanted for a long time.
Yea so I lost the money and still never got the car.

Soundkillr
01-31-2015, 04:43 PM
I would definatly contact the FBI, as well as your local authorities. I'm not sure why you haven't done that yet...

Bitsyncmaster
01-31-2015, 05:10 PM
You can not fault someone who insists on a cash sale. There have been many fraud checks and then he has lost out. You can not even carry a gun into other states unless your a police officer. Which is something you can do is hire an off duty cop to go with you. Most all the cops do sideline work to earn extra income (tax free cash payments).

When I bought my D he did insist on cash ($14,500 since I already PayPaled a $500 deposit). One of my coworkers went with me (to drive my car home) and he was a big guy. I paid him back by doing some welding for him.

Rich_NYS
01-31-2015, 05:40 PM
Best to always travel heavy, whether alone or not.

I just saw another article where some bad guys tried his type of scam on someone who was prepared....bad day for the bad guys. :thumbup:

eagle-co94
01-31-2015, 05:55 PM
You can not fault someone who insists on a cash sale. There have been many fraud checks and then he has lost out. You can not even carry a gun into other states unless your a police officer.

I'm sorry but YOU COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG!

As an example, a FL resident's concealed carry permit is accepted in 35 other states. Please don't post information you clearly don't know about.

*EDIT* You are correct for your own state of Maryland, but that is not correct for much of the country.

Bitsyncmaster
01-31-2015, 06:19 PM
I'm sorry but YOU COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG!

As an example, a FL resident's concealed carry permit is accepted in 35 other states. Please don't post information you clearly don't know about.

*EDIT* You are correct for your own state of Maryland, but that is not correct for much of the country.

Your correct. Sorry. There are many "laws" in each state for the type of "carry" you can do. So you have to check those laws for each state you pass through.

eagle-co94
01-31-2015, 06:23 PM
Crap, I forgot the link. Reciprocity is a HUGE issue and every state is different, and if you scroll down below the map you'll see that something changes every few months so if someone is thinking of traveling they need to check right before they leave to be safe.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Jimmyvonviggle
01-31-2015, 06:44 PM
Best to always travel heavy, whether alone or not.

I just saw another article where some bad guys tried his type of scam on someone who was prepared....bad day for the bad guys. :thumbup:

Sorry Rich I have to disagree with you as well. There is a big difference between going to a shooting range and being competent, to being able to use the gun in a real life situation. Most times people are shot with their own guns.

I think bringing a friend is the best idea.

eagle-co94
01-31-2015, 06:48 PM
...I think bringing a friend is the best idea.

Yeah, one that's armed!

Soundkillr
01-31-2015, 06:49 PM
....and here comes that no good mod....
Ok guys just a reminder, we are on thin ice here. Lets not let this get out of hand.
As a side note, I have had a car for sale on craigslist for a while (not the delorean) and have had almost zero interest except the scum who refuse to read the ad, ask for trades, or email me trying to get me to respond so they can have my real email address. I wonder how much of what's going on has hurt car sales on cl. I have been following several cars for sale, at great prices and they are not moving either.

Jimmyvonviggle
01-31-2015, 06:52 PM
Yeah, one that's armed!

True

eagle-co94
01-31-2015, 07:21 PM
Just do what I do in my Craigslist ads. I put in bold on the very first line/paragraph that if they don't provide a phone number I will delete their e-mail, assuming they are a scammer. I then make my final line/paragraph the exact same sentence. That seems to help as most scams won't provide a number. Then there are those that don't read so I have little issue deleting the e-mail. If they're serious they'll eventually read the ad and send a number...which many end up sending a second message.

That first and last line is also a good place to express what trades (besides CASH) that I'm open to, which I rarely am looking to get more things unless it's ammo.

Soundkillr
01-31-2015, 07:41 PM
I do that. Sort of. In bold I write, in order to avoid being slammed, I will not respond to emails. If the ad is still up the car is still available. Please don't text me.
With out fail, constant emails, or texts. Still available? Or even something as simple as, regular oil changes?

Just do what I do in my Craigslist ads. I put in bold on the very first line/paragraph that if they don't provide a phone number I will delete their e-mail, assuming they are a scammer. I then make my final line/paragraph the exact same sentence. That seems to help as most scams won't provide a number. Then there are those that don't read so I have little issue deleting the e-mail. If they're serious they'll eventually read the ad and send a number...which many end up sending a second message.

That first and last line is also a good place to express what trades (besides CASH) that I'm open to, which I rarely am looking to get more things unless it's ammo.

Rich_NYS
01-31-2015, 08:34 PM
Most times people are shot with their own guns.

:hysterical:

(Sorry Barry, I couldn't resist man....no offense bro!)

eagle-co94
01-31-2015, 08:56 PM
Regular oil changes, that's funny. I don't think I've ever been asked that one. I do get the "is it still available" quite often though. I understand though because I've answered a LOT of ads that the seller was simply too lazy to pull the ad when the item sold.