PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Gas flap mod

Rich_NYS
02-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Anyone ever make a gas-flapped hood from a non-flapped hood? Mine has the outline of where the flap would be, seems like it's leftover from the early part of the process before they stopped making the flapped hoods. I'd be really interested in any input on what is known about the original process as well as aftermarket mods.

Thanks!

Nicholas R
02-19-2015, 08:05 PM
Chris Nicholson/PJ Grady Europe has done it:
http://www.pjgrady.co.uk//GenericContent.aspx?PageType=Delorean_Repairs&ShowContent=Project_8_Installation_Fuel_Flap.html

I'm not sure there are many people though that have the experience, or can do what Chris is capable of doing with DeLorean stainless.

Still, if you undertake it, be sure to chronicle it!

Rich_NYS
02-19-2015, 08:15 PM
Thanks Nick, when I buy a 5-speed I'll be considering it if it doesn't have a flapped hood. I'd like to be able to reduce the list of "minimum criteria" for my next car purchase.

David T
02-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Thanks Nick, when I buy a 5-speed I'll be considering it if it doesn't have a flapped hood. I'd like to be able to reduce the list of "minimum criteria" for my next car purchase.

The biggest problem is where to source the gas flap with all of the little parts. Modifying the hood is difficult but doable if you have enough experience working with S/S.