PDA

View Full Version : VIN 7199 for sale at 100k?

Chris Burns
03-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Thought you all may enjoy this! Lol.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/delorean/dmc_12/1722320.html

Rich_NYS
03-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Dibs!

sdg3205
03-03-2015, 10:54 AM
You know what....

I can get behind this.

Completely unaffordable? Yes.

Perfect for a rich collector or museum who doesn't care if it runs anyway? Yes.

OverlandMan
03-03-2015, 11:11 AM
You know what....

I can get behind this.

Completely unaffordable? Yes.

Perfect for a rich collector or museum who doesn't care if it runs anyway? Yes.

Agreed. If it truly is what the advertisement says, then it's probably worth that to some buyer(s) out there.

Pretty remarkable when cars like this come up. Last fall I came across a Testarossa with less than 500 miles and a very similar story. That car ended up bringing 5x it's average value and you couldn't really use it. The brakes were seized, the motor needed to be completely rebuilt from decades of sitting, etc.

There is a market for stuff like this out there and it does tend to bring high figures.

DavidProehl
03-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Ignoring the price, it is pretty cool to see a car that hasn't been driven or had a thing done to it. I wish there were photos of the engine, frame, relay compartment, and the original battery. Can a battery sit for 34 years and not leak? Hopefully the drained the other fluids, although it would have arrived from the factory with them and per the description it is just as it was the day it was recieved.

Dangermouse
03-03-2015, 12:31 PM
I was wondering when this one would reappear.

iirc, a guy in the UK bought this car, the last 1981 model, as well as the first 82 model, 10001, presumably for investment purposes. So what better time to cash in that investment than this year when values are peaking.

I'm surprised that the ad doesn't mention that it is the last 81.

Iznodmad
03-03-2015, 01:19 PM
Yes Dermot. I remember these for sale in roughly the year 2001. Both 7199 and 10001 were on eBay for sale together. I think they were in New Jersey at the time. Kinda cool the "last 81/first 82" were together as a pair. I think they sold for around $60k or so, but my memory is fuzzy on that. I do remember speaking with someone who saw them. He mentioned that they were stored improperly and were really in slightly below average condition. This guy is looking for a fool at that price, and he may find one with the market where it is currently.

chris williams
03-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Battery was dis-connected IIRC and has not leaked, I suspect a rich (very rich) investor will buy it eventually!
Chris

Farrar
03-03-2015, 11:48 PM
"No modifications done what so ever."

... and therefore completely undriveable. Definitely a museum piece.

(Don't get me wrong -- I love museums!)

DL4567
03-04-2015, 12:31 AM
Well, it does look nice!

Shep
03-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Well, it does look nice!Except for the droopy doors. Definitely agree with Farrar, this is a museum piece for sure, especially with that temp gauge sitting at 215 with only 24 miles on the odometer. I'm just hoping it's a bad ground or something, because if that's accurate for idling, you better hope that gas pedal hasn't seen any action...

Very well maintained, but something tells me this will remain a low-mileage D for quite some time.

PJ Grady Inc.
03-04-2015, 11:53 AM
I looked at this car (reputed to be the last 81 built) along with the first 82 car off the line (VIN 010000 I think) at Dayton Ford in NJ about 15 years ago. They sold to (I was told at the time after taking a pass) two guys from Europe who apparently agreed to the 50 to 60K pricetag for the pair. I thought it was a little too much at the time and now is even more overpriced given that it still needs a full restoration. Even 50K would still be a bit high for this car let alone 100 in my opinion. I'm glad the car has finally turned up again as it obviously was bought purely for speculation. Hopefully the next owner will give it the full restoration it deserves assuming there will be a next owner given the absurd price.
Rob Grady

Dangermouse
03-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Interesting that it only seems to be listed in the US at present.

Dangermouse
06-08-2015, 08:13 AM
Sold over the weekend for the equivalent of about $87,000.

$68,600 to the seller
$15,200 to the auctioneers
$3000 in taxes

record numbers for a stock car.

Eurotech had a member at the auction taking a few photos

http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=4669&start=20

thanks for the "man on the ground" information there, gents

Shep
06-08-2015, 08:50 AM
So, did it drive (or at least run) at the auction? I don't have access to the Eurotec forums, so I can't tell. I'd hope for that kind of price it bare minimum was fired up.

Dangermouse
06-08-2015, 09:34 AM
I don't believe it did. The pictures just show it sitting on a display podium. No mention of it being recommissioned.

At this stage it is more of a collection piece and/or museum piece. No one is going to pay top dollar for a 24 mile car and then actually drive it, destroying the very element (odometer reading) that differentiates it from the run of the mill cars, like the cheap $47k one at BHCC with an astronomical 121 miles on it.

Jonathan
06-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Eurotech had a member at the auction taking a few photos

http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=4669&start=20

thanks for the "man on the ground" information there, gents

Wow, there's your proof you don't need to drive a car to see some of the underside get rusty. Muffler brackets and manifolds naturally, but a little bit shown on pan bolts and the drive shafts too. Very nice looking car though of course.

I think the rubber on those engine mounts look better than the new replacement ones I have that are still in the package!