PDA

View Full Version : DMC on Petrolicious.com

SoCalDMC12
03-03-2015, 11:10 AM
Greetings All,

FYI: A few months ago I did a video shoot with Petrolicious.com, and the short featuring my Delorean just aired on their site… thought I’d share:

http://www.petrolicious.com/the-delorean-dmc-12-is-an-outlier-s-legacy

Trstno1
03-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Awesome! That was a very well put together short. Congrats, and thanks for sharing.:bigclap:

spedlot
03-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Great video. Good job

AugustneverEnds
03-03-2015, 01:07 PM
Good for you for taking the chance and becoming a car designer!! Your car looks super sharp

DavidProehl
03-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Excellent job representing the car! You were very articulate and your car is in excellent condition, a fine example for them to profile. This is definately in the top couple videos of the DMC I've seen in the past several years!

SoCalDMC12
03-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Thanks. Petrolicous does a great job with all of their videos... most artistic car films I've seen. I was really happy when they asked me to participate, and the video shoot was a blast.

Rich_NYS
03-03-2015, 03:25 PM
Excellent...!

Domi
03-03-2015, 03:59 PM
cool video, thanks for sharing ;)

MML
03-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Excellent video. I'd love to drive through LA at night, there's something really cool about it.

JRNY13
03-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Congrats on a job well done. I'm a fan of Petrolicious videos. Love that they finally covered a DeLorean.

Jimmyvonviggle
03-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Good video Geoff, I'm assuming that's your artwork hanging on the walls. Looks good.

Rich_NYS
03-03-2015, 10:39 PM
Your stainless has a really nice look, what do you use for cleaning?

SoCalDMC12
03-03-2015, 11:32 PM
Good video Geoff, I'm assuming that's your artwork hanging on the walls. Looks good.
Thanks! With the exception of the Keith Haring poster, yup... all my work.

Your stainless has a really nice look, what do you use for cleaning?
Thx. Just soap and water (sometimes I use Windex, when I'm in a hurry).

Farrar
03-03-2015, 11:45 PM
The most poignant thing for me was not the car but the fact that you had the courage to change careers. Fantastic!

alexwolf1216
03-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Great vid, thanks!

rileydawgg
03-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Just watched it too. One of the nicer produced videos I've ever seen of the car. As an LAer, makes me want to go downtown with mine tonight! What time did they film it, how long did it take, and how many different places did you go?

I think a nighttime LA DeLorean cruise needs to happen!

JRNY13
03-04-2015, 07:17 PM
I think the stainless looks best at night under the lights.

MML
03-04-2015, 08:40 PM

Agreed!

Brian_SS_TT
03-04-2015, 11:45 PM
Well done! Great story and beautiful DeLorean.

SoCalDMC12
03-05-2015, 10:28 AM
All: Thanks for the nice comments!

The most poignant thing for me was not the car but the fact that you had the courage to change careers. Fantastic!

Haven’t changed careers yet… stopped working as a user experience designer, but sitll in training to become a car designer. Very difficult discipline to tackle.

Just watched it too. One of the nicer produced videos I've ever seen of the car. As an LAer, makes me want to go downtown with mine tonight! What time did they film it, how long did it take, and how many different places did you go?

I think a nighttime LA DeLorean cruise needs to happen!

Believe it or not, that 7 minute film took about 11 hours to shoot. We started at about 3 pm in Pacific Palisades, then shot in DTLA at multiple locations (mostly around Disney Concert Hall). Some areas were pretty seedy… Skid Row was a real eye opener, and a little scary at 1 AM.

+1. When they approached me about the video, I assumed they’d pick mountain/canyon/beach locations. But they had a night shot in industrial settings in mind… great call, as it turned out much more unique/dramatic.

Dangermouse
03-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Finally had the chance to sit down and watch this after seeing the buzz on here (and now Jalopnik). Great job Geoff, I must say. Your car looks fantastic

Refreshing to see a review of the car itself this year that isn't overawed by BTTF references

StainlessBullet
03-05-2015, 04:45 PM
Finally had the chance to sit down and watch this after seeing the buzz on here (and now Jalopnik). Great job Geoff, I must say. Your car looks fantastic

Refreshing to see a review of the car itself this year that isn't overawed by BTTF references

+1

Very nice video. I enjoyed watching it!

Oh and congrats on following your dream!

JohnZ
03-05-2015, 05:04 PM
I always wondered why these Petrolicious fellas never covered the Delorean... now I'm satisfied with that!

Nice catch!

;)

SoCalDMC12
03-06-2015, 04:00 AM

Thanks. Now that I’m in school again, I don’t have much time to fawn over my car, but I try to keep it in good shape.

Petrolicious always does very tasteful films, which is why I was very excited to participate in this one. I kinda figured that they wouldn’t
turn it into a Back to the Future piece, but focus on the car instead.

+1

Very nice video. I enjoyed watching it!

Oh and congrats on following your dream!

Thanks! IThe car design program at Art Center is grueling (the workload can require 3 “all nighters” per week just to keep up), but it’s a pretty amazing experience. Motorweek did a video that kinda explains the allure pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCZsq_3ubAY

Timebender
03-11-2015, 01:33 PM
First, great video. Second, congrats on pursuing your dream career! I'm a UX'er too, and have gotten to the point where I want to get out and back to my first love of design and media/film production - though being a car designer is something I've always thought about doing as well. Unfortunately I'm getting too old to go back to school to do that, an also can't afford to.
But I'm excited to see a fellow UX'er getting out of this insane business and doing something really very cool.

Greg

SIMid
03-11-2015, 05:52 PM
Awesome video! And now I can see where your artistic talent came from and going to (have bought your T off Society6).

I too am a qualified Industrial Designer, but could not break it into the Car Design Industry. I wish you the best of luck and succeed with your ambition and dreams!

Farrar
03-12-2015, 03:11 PM
Geoff, I hear you on trying to keep the car in shape while working and going to school. I am doing the same. All I can say is: keep on keepin' on! Once you're done with school you're done.

SoCalDMC12
03-15-2015, 05:56 AM
First, great video. Second, congrats on pursuing your dream career! I'm a UX'er too, and have gotten to the point where I want to get out and back to my first love of design and media/film production - though being a car designer is something I've always thought about doing as well. Unfortunately I'm getting too old to go back to school to do that, an also can't afford to.

Thanks… and you're never too old! I’ll be 48 this year, and don’t think that age is as much of an issue. School, however, is definitely expensive, and some (like Art Center) are breathtakingly so. Definitely feeling the financial pinch, but it's well worth it.

I too am a qualified Industrial Designer, but could not break it into the Car Design Industry. I wish you the best of luck and succeed with your ambition and dreams!

Thanks! Nice to hear that there are so many creative types in the DMC community! The car design industry is a tough nut to crack. I must be nuts... :-P

Geoff, I hear you on trying to keep the car in shape while working and going to school. I am doing the same. All I can say is: keep on keepin' on! Once you're done with school you're done.

Farrar, what are you studying?

Not so sure about “Once you're done with school you're done.” … This will be my 3rd degree (already have a BFA, and an MFA). But school is a labor of love… and learning new things is definitely stimulating.

For anyone interested, I periodically post some of my classwork on instagram… @geoffyman

Cheers!

Farrar
03-15-2015, 10:38 AM
Farrar, what are you studying?

Not so sure about “Once you're done with school you're done.” … This will be my 3rd degree (already have a BFA, and an MFA). But school is a labor of love… and learning new things is definitely stimulating.

I was a bored music major until one of my writing instructors pulled me aside and said that I should consider a career as a writer. I switched to English with a concentration in Creative Non-Fiction.

"Once you're done..." I can see how that maybe didn't come across quite as I meant it. What I mean is that you never have to go back and do it again. Once I finish my current degree, I can move on to other things, even different fields of study if I choose, without having to backtrack. I agree that learning is a lifelong process. Kudos to you, and I look forward to seeing what the future brings!

-Farrar

Timebender
03-15-2015, 11:24 AM
By too old, I meant more of the fact when you have a house, one kid and college and the other pursuing he music career, and even though the wife is working, I still need to work full-time to cover the cost of living in sunny San Diego. However I do plan on taking some programming classes at UCSD Extension, as there seems to be more and more of a demand for the mythical UX Unicorn. Would be nice if there was a local night time automotive design class with a degree here in town. I'd love to get out of UX someday too.

Jonathan
03-16-2015, 06:55 PM
Wow, Geoff, amazing. Really, really great video.

And a huge piece of admiration for having the courage to change what you're doing and pursue something else. That takes a lot of fearlessness to do that, good on you for doing so.

The easy thing for many of us is to keep plugging away at what we are already doing. Making those hard decisions is never easy, but that's why you do them. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard. Keep it up :)

Mark D
03-16-2015, 08:06 PM
I finally got a chance to watch this video, I'd been meaning to for a few weeks now. I thought you did a great job with the interview and you were very well spoken. It's not easy to get on camera and explain the car's history in such detail and hit all the major points and come off as casual and confident as you did. Your car looked beautiful too. This is definitely one of my new favorites.

For anyone with friends or family who don't quite understand the car or the appeal in owning one I thought that this would be a great video to show that would help them understand.

SoCalDMC12
04-24-2015, 06:50 PM
Sorry for the delayed response... been silly busy with school... only now able to "come up for air" for just a bit.

Farrah: Writing sounds exciting... best of luck to you! Also a competitive field, but very creative and I'm sure is very fulfilling.

Timebender: I hear you. I have very few obligations, otherwise I wouldn't have been able enroll at Art Center, which is incredibly expensive. At some point I may need to stop for a bit and pick up some freelance UX to defray costs. Fortunately, UX is still a pretty hot industry. Programming + UX seems like a good combination... should make you even more marketable.

As always, thanks to all for their positive comments.

SoCalDMC12
07-30-2015, 09:33 PM
Hey All,

Just saw another Petrolicious video... amazing, as always, and the featured owner had an very interesting Delorean connection...

http://www.petrolicious.com/building-your-dream-is-a-beautiful-thing

DannonWeb
08-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Wow, just finally caught your Petrolicious vid recently. Love it. Fantastic cinematography as well. Kudos and best of luck!

SoCalDMC12
08-27-2015, 03:29 PM
Wow, just finally caught your Petrolicious vid recently. Love it. Fantastic cinematography as well. Kudos and best of luck!

Thanks!