PDA

View Full Version : Best time of year to sell a car?

Rich_NYS
03-05-2015, 10:01 PM
What are your thoughts on the best time of year to sell a DeLorean?

Specifically in 2015...

StainlessBullet
03-05-2015, 10:16 PM
I'd say anytime before October is over. I bet the value of these cars will go back down once all this BTTF 2015 hype is over

OverlandMan
03-06-2015, 09:01 AM
I'd say anytime before October is over. I bet the value of these cars will go back down once all this BTTF 2015 hype is over

Maybe... Maybe not

Last year (2014) was the 50th anniversary of the Porsche 911. There were countless articles written in several of the magazines I read. Values skyrocketed from the previous couple of years. Now I know we're just over a couple of months into 2015, but I'm not seeing those values drop. At worst, they've plateaued. Some are still appreciating at a swift pace, depending on collector variables.

The collector market for the DeLorean is tough to peg down. Time will tell though.

Dangermouse
03-06-2015, 09:46 AM
FWIW, I would say "any time in the next 6 months" but not after mid September

There is definitely a surge in folks wanting "the movie car" with more professional and owner conversions than ever before on the roads. Fans of the movie will see the next six months as their last chance to get one before "the big day".

I think we are at the end of the peak of people who want to convert a car at home as I imagine it takes a few months to gather all the parts. The pros have a few months left as I'm sure they can get one out the door in a few weeks.

The afterglow of Oct will last a few months but in early 2016 some folks will be selling cars bought in haste in mid-2015 once they realize that "minor work needed" was slightly misleading, and the parties and shows have all ended, so I would expect sales prices to fall again, if not asking prices initially.

I would suspect that folks who have been saving for the car for years, will hold on to their hard earned cash for 12 more months in the hope of picking up a relative bargain.

I think the difference here compared to a 911 is that there is a much more emotional tie to this car from, dare I say it, people who don't understand what owning a classic car means. I suspect that most prospective owners of air-cooled 911s knew what they were getting into. If a 911 is rotten underneath, then it is most likely showing signs of rot in the wings and doors etc. We know that our cars can shine up really, really well on top.

Just my opinion. YVMV

Rich_NYS
03-06-2015, 09:47 AM
I think it's a really tough call to say if prices will drop due to other factors besides 2015:

-BTTF 2015 fever buyers becoming lifelong owners and not selling after 2015.
-The DMC-12 possibly becoming really mainstream and staying there.
-Supply/demand metrics.

I think unless there's a big enough selloff within the next few years, there will be no glut of DeLoreans so it's possible the prices will dip but not drop back down to pre-2014 prices.

I'm buying a 5-speed and selling my auto soon....:cool: