PDA

View Full Version : General Best source for phone advice/help with repairs

Hokie
03-17-2015, 07:00 PM
Based in your experience, who can I call when I'm either performing a DIY project OR have my car in a shop and they need advice? Someone who's both knowledgeable AND accessible and willing. For instance, a vendor who is extremely knowledgeable but hard to reach by phone and not known for returning calls would not be a good option. Any ideas? Who is willing to help by phone and will actually answer the call? Thanks.

Hokie
03-17-2015, 07:45 PM
I should clarify - which of the DeLorean vendors have been most willing to help you over the phone? Thanks.

DMC5180
03-17-2015, 08:06 PM
The 3 vendors that share their time on this forum are very helpful in that regard, but might get a little perturbed if you called them asking for help on a part that you didn't purchase from them. But assuming your likely to purchase parts from them they are usually more than accommodating.

Hokie
03-17-2015, 08:24 PM
The 3 vendors that share their time on this forum are very helpful in that regard, but might get a little perturbed if you called them asking for help on a part that you didn't purchase from them. But assuming your likely to purchase parts from them they are usually more than accommodating.

Yes, good point. I would be purchasing from whomever I would call. The 3 vendors that you mention, would that be DPI, PJ Grady and DMCMW? Or have I missed one or gotten one wrong?

DMC5180
03-17-2015, 08:25 PM
You got it right!

Jonathan
03-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Call who you get your parts from, like already mentioned.

That being said, give these guys a break and respect their personal time. We all know who comes on here at all hours to help and post comments, but that's dictated by their schedules or "free" time. I would be hesitant to consider after hours support as being "expected".

They have lives outside the cars that need attention too. Stick to calls from 9-5 and emails or forum posts outside that. We all know everyone has a cell phone in their pocket and access to the Internet 24/7, but the damn things should really be turned off when we get home. We've all come to expect instant answers from everything we do, but there's a cost to that that isn't always seen. It's a dangerous precedent to set when you happen to get a quick reply and then assume all the next ones will be just as fast.

I can think of a few people that would love to sit and have dinner and then watch the news or Wheel of Fortune without hearing the phone beeping at them.

PJ Grady Inc.
03-18-2015, 12:49 PM
I am happy to field calls from customers and potential customers with a few clarifications.

1) I hate when people call on my 800# for tech advice taking up my time while billing me for the call particularly when it's about other vendor's parts and unwillingness to give them guidance. This happens more often than I care to think about.

2) If you're a Delorean DWI'er purchase the service manuals (hopefully from us as we just got a bunch in with slick new bindings) and familiarize yourself with the car before picking up a wrench or a phone.

3) Don't call asking for information that's readily available in the manuals or online unless you're in a bind or on the road. I feel like someone's personal assistant when they call looking for torque specs on my 800 line because their too cheap to buy the manuals or pay for the call!

4) Try to throw at least a little business our way if you'd like to take advantage of my experience in Delorean servicing by phone.

5) Thats it! If you adhere to the above you can call my tech line (631) 589-6224 any time I'm here with any question you want except "I want the generic numbers (where applicable) to your parts so I can get it wholesale and cut you out". You'd be amazed by the amount of times I've been asked this in kinder gentler terms. If you are buying parts feel free to ask away about installation tips and such while ordering them on the (800)350-7429.

Rob

Dangermouse
03-18-2015, 01:09 PM
They're very reasonable guidelines there, Rob.

(Possibly excepting the DWI part. I trust you meant DIY :hihi2:)

I would imagine that most D-vendors are somewhat reticent to help a repair shop make money off their advice, if it isn't related to a part that the D-vendor had supplied.

Depending on the question, and time of day, you may even get a quicker response on here.

Rich_NYS
03-18-2015, 01:13 PM
I didn't realize Rob had a 1-800 number. If I ever get pulled over for DWI, that's the number I'm gonna call! :biggrin:

DMCMW Dave
03-18-2015, 01:22 PM
1) I hate when people call on my 800# for tech advice taking up my time while billing me for the call particularly when it's about other vendor's parts and unwillingness to give them guidance. This happens more often than I care to think about.

Similar pet peeve. 800 numbers were all the rage when long distance calls was expensive. Now 90% of the calls are coming from cellphones with unlimited long distance, so making an 800 call does not save the caller ANYTHING but costs the recipient money. If it wasn't such an "expected" thing I'd turn it off.

Gee - I get the same calls about parts purchased from other vendors.

Delorean Industries
03-18-2015, 01:37 PM
I second the above and hold to the same standards. At this point I think it is down to who has the best parts for the job at hand. That is assuming you are picking from the three vendors that have posted. Obviously none of us will willing give brand x tech support. :)

PJ Grady Inc.
03-18-2015, 02:02 PM
DWI or DIY isn't it the same thing? ;) Sorry I usually proof read better than that...maybe I was TWI here!!!!
Rob

They're very reasonable guidelines there, Rob.

(Possibly excepting the DWI part. I trust you meant DIY :hihi2:)

I would imagine that most D-vendors are somewhat reticent to help a repair shop make money off their advice, if it isn't related to a part that the D-vendor had supplied.

Depending on the question, and time of day, you may even get a quicker response on here.

ccurzio
03-24-2015, 02:50 PM
DWI or DIY isn't it the same thing? ;)

If the D in DWI stands for DIY, I DWI all the freaking time.

Jonathan
03-24-2015, 04:26 PM
If the D in DWI stands for DIY, I DWI all the freaking time.

Oh yea! These cars will drive you to drink. Groooooaaannn, lol :)

PJ Grady Inc.
03-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Thats one of the reasons I never keep any alcohol at the shop. With the headaches these cars can deliver, especially the "previously repaired" ones, I'd probably be reaching into the "medicine cabinet" all the time ;) Of course with my last name I would presumably be ethnicly speaking very qualified to have a nip or three here and there....I know there is no place for that at work. At my house or yours however I'd be happy to throw one back with a DMC buddy!!!!
Rob

Oh yea! These cars will drive you to drink. Groooooaaannn, lol :)

David T
03-24-2015, 10:42 PM
Similar pet peeve. 800 numbers were all the rage when long distance calls was expensive. Now 90% of the calls are coming from cellphones with unlimited long distance, so making an 800 call does not save the caller ANYTHING but costs the recipient money. If it wasn't such an "expected" thing I'd turn it off.

Gee - I get the same calls about parts purchased from other vendors.

Technology marches on. 800 numbers were useful when companies thought more customers would call if it didn't cost them anything. Today long distance is free for the most part so they are an anachronism and aren't necessary IMHO. Like Telex numbers, Foreign exchange numbers, even fax numbers now. Everything is going to texts and e-mails. As for calling the venders and picking their brains, if you are going to do it at least give them an order! Heck, you can always buy some filters, bulbs or fuses! Or blending pads. Something. In many cases even if you have the cross/over numbers those cross/over parts are no longer in stock! The cars they crossed over to are also too old and too many stores will only stock stuff that moves. In a lot of cases you can buy it cheaper from the Delorean venders anyway and you KNOW it will work because the Delorean venders use those same parts for their service work.

kajcienski
03-25-2015, 02:42 AM
As previously mentioned in the thread in relation to driving to a "nip"... I judge a DIY job by not the difficulty level, but by the "6-pack scale". For instance, a fresh alternator is a "4 beer job". An oil change is a "2 beer job". So on and so on... A shout out to Rob Grady and DMCMW for always helping in a jam. As a guy reading the forum several times a day, have to back up the comment about reading the info here first before asking. Sometimes new owners barrage the forum before a good search. Reading about these cars is half the fun!

Jonathan
03-25-2015, 08:05 AM
Thats one of the reasons I never keep any alcohol at the shop...

Haha, the DeLorean is like the ANTI-DWI car. If it is running and driving well, you don't need to drink. If it's a mess, you head for the beer frig.

~ Going through a ride program in a DeLorean ~

Officer: Evening son, you been drinking tonight?
DMC driver: Of course not, I'm driving a DeLorean!

PJ Grady Inc.
03-25-2015, 10:45 AM
Using your terminology Matt can I assume an engine overhaul equals a full keg party!?!?!?!? Your place must really rock!!!!!
Rob

As previously mentioned in the thread in relation to driving to a "nip"... I judge a DIY job by not the difficulty level, but by the "6-pack scale". For instance, a fresh alternator is a "4 beer job". An oil change is a "2 beer job". So on and so on... A shout out to Rob Grady and DMCMW for always helping in a jam. As a guy reading the forum several times a day, have to back up the comment about reading the info here first before asking. Sometimes new owners barrage the forum before a good search. Reading about these cars is half the fun!

Shep
03-26-2015, 02:57 AM
Not to throw a curveball in things, but...

Based in your experience, who can I call when I'm either performing a DIY project OR have my car in a shop and they need advice?Have you tried posting about it on this forum? Particularly if it's something that isn't mundanely simple (e.g. "What's the part number for X relay?") and is worth asking (e.g. "car turns over but won't start"), generally you'll not only get vendors helping out, plus other owners, but if you or anyone else comes across the same problem later on, the solution will be searchable online (assuming you posted your approach to solving it, that is).

I know many of us (myself included!) have the luxury of living near vendors, but not all of us do, so sometimes DIY or a third party mechanic is the best option, and in those cases, if someone asks "what have you tried?" or "what do we try now?", they have the whole thread documenting it that you can point them too. :)